Bandwagon

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

oliviamanda

Bandwagon

Post by oliviamanda » Sun Sep 17, 2006 2:48 am

I have been on No S since December and had great success.

My dilemma... I have just become a manager at a bakery/pastry shop.
Sometimes I have to help out at the counter.

I have found it incredibly hard to not nibble on the samples on the counter or other confectionary goodies lying around. I'm not pigging out or anything, but I am suddenly faced with the fact that not only am I snacking, but I am snacking on sweets.

I know the solution would be to save those goodies for my S days, but I am off on Saturday and Sunday!

Up until the end of last month I had kept a food and exercise journal. I've been so busy lately that I stopped keeping it. And I don't get a break where in the past I've walked extensively.

I have to start keeping the journal again! I have gained about 4 lbs back in the past two weeks and I am not liking it. I need to get back on the No S bandwagon, pronto.

Any ideas how I can carry No S as I walk by the cannoli's and biscotti, and macaroons right out of the oven, or the caramel on my cappuccino? I can't believe I haven't had the willpower I've had for so long... but of course, I have never been in this situation of working around sweets.

HELP!!!

navin

Post by navin » Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:23 pm

That sounds like a tough situation.. but maybe this will work. Just say to yourself, "Those goodies aren't for me, they're for the customers." You just might be taking somebody's dessert!

I worked at a buffet in college, and while the manager generally turned a blind eye if we took stuff, she'd usually refrain herself and say, "I'd hate to take somebody's dinner."
Before criticizing someone, you should try walking a mile in their shoes. Then you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

pangelsue

Post by pangelsue » Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:27 pm

Tough choice. Maybe try taking a treat home on Friday. And not just a sample but a full size treat and save it for Saturday. If it is cookies, pick a couple. Then all during the week, savor the idea that you will have the treat and not just a sample if you just wait until Saturday. Frankly, I think the real joy in our favorite foods is the anticipation and this way you will get lots of that.
We use these "wait until" tactics with kids all the time. "Wait until supper", "eat your vegetables first", "no candy until after...."whatever. I think the part of us that is in control of what we eat needs to be the parent and the part that is whining and begging for something we know is bad is the spoiled little kid. We have all been letting that little kid win the food battle for years and years. The kids in us throws a fit or whines and we cave in. When you are looking at the samples, try just picturing that you are with a little kid who is saying over and over again. but I WANT some. What would you say to that child if you knew they should not have it for health reasons? Would you cave or would you be firm and say no. Maybe you can promise the child something else it wants. Get the picture? I have been using this method for the last 2 weeks and so far so good. Just a thought for what it's worth. Good luck. Tough place to work.
A lot of growing up happens between "it fell" and "I dropped it."

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:15 pm

That's tough...

I guess I'd advise:

1) be really really clear and strict that you can't touch this stuff during the week. Treat it almost like a religious dietary prohibition. If that sounds excessive and harsh, I actually think it's the only way you're going to make this easy. It's like taming a lion in a meat locker. The only way you're going to get appetite to learn is by coming down hard right away.

2) be sure to handsomely reward yourself on the weekend when you resist. Make a list even, if you see something particularly tempting. Turn the temptation into an incentive.

Hope this or something here helps! Keep bugging us if you need more ideas.

Reinhard

P.S. you will be a legendary hero of no-s if you pull this off, if that's any additional incentive.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:46 pm

Good luck!!!!!
Wow tough!!!

I say hold out till Friday if you can!!!!

I worked at Starbucks for three months, and after the first month I believe I had gained about 8 lbs just from having a sweet every few days..
Not worth it!!!!!!!
You really have to use a total abstinence plan during work hours, because a nibble here and there will just wreak havoc with your progress here, and really be counter productive to your habit formation..
It's worth trying your hardest to be strict here!
And as Reinhard said, you will be hailed as a NoS hero, and inspiration by thousands!!!!
Heh heh!
Now that definitely makes it worth it! :wink:

I hope you can find a solution!
Have a nice week!

Peace and Love,
8) Deb
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

oliviamanda

Post by oliviamanda » Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:46 pm

Thank you all so much for your support! It has been two days and I've done it... I've said no to "the samples" and the caramel on the capp or the squirt of syrup...and it brings me back to why I do no S in the first place!

I've never been on a real diet until No S (the non-diet) and I started it a little over 9 months ago and in the beginning I was disgusted by sugar.
I already have felt like a No S hero for losing 20 lbs and keeping it off, up until recent circumstances. But I will triumph again! It's just harder now for a little bit.

Thank you for the tips: the "For the Customers only" is working great! All the advice is helpful. What a support system here at No S!

oliviamanda