Back After 11 Years

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

kfroggy13

Back After 11 Years

Post by kfroggy13 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:37 pm

About 11 years ago, I stumbled across the No S Diet and was intrigued. It was hard at first because I had gotten used to snacking. I kept at it and it really helped me get in shape, get active (I rode a century late summer after starting, and get pregnant. Unfortunately No S went right out the window. I did stay fairly active after having that kid (I put on over 70 lbs) and was in fairly good shape. I wasn't concerned about weight cause I was nursing and just cared about making milk. I then got pregnant around 18 - 20 months after having the first pregnancy, left my ex husband, and was busy working and raising 2 kids on my own. I got in great shape while still nursing the second kid, but it also involved being involved with an MLM. I left it after feeling really icky about wishing my friend wouldn't sell enough so that I would get a greater commission. I then poured my energy into learning things, growing in other ways, being active still and being very conscious about not dieting to be a good model for my children.

Fast forward to a year after the pandemic started, and it's been incredibly stressful (my job is pseudo essential and I've been working outside of my house the whole time) and I'm very unhappy with how my waistline just keeps expanding. My clothes keep getting tighter and tighter and I can't sew fast enough to properly expand my wardrobe and I'm now living in a blended family with all the stress that brings. I'm a stress eater and that has led to me being just awful with snacking on all kinds of stuff and eating like crazy after the kids go to bed. I've cut back on alcohol and cut back my coffee consumption (I went wild in the years after no longer being pregnant or nursing) and upped my exercise again, but I despise calorie counting and very obvious deprivation and want to be a role model of reasonable moderation and celebration for my kids.

So, here I am. I want to clean up my habits and feel better. I got a new profile because my old one had my married name in it and I've dropped that part of my identity. I started on Monday, but that ended up being a fail because of a cupcake left over from one of the kid's birthday celebrations. Otherwise, I've been good about staying on track (I did get a glass of milk early this morning because I was too hungry to sleep). I know from my past experience here and my life experience that it's good to be gentle with myself and know each day is another opportunity to do a good job.

ladybird30

Re: Back After 11 Years

Post by ladybird30 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:45 pm

Welcome back
Three meals a day - not too little not too much, but just right

BackToThin

Post by BackToThin » Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:11 am

Howdy! How's it going?

Tomorrow's an S-Day!
No-S Lifestyle (~Don't Eat Like An Idiot Diet) and re-learning how to eat like a normal person after failing post calorie counting. More than half a year of that sent me diving face first into a giant slice of cheese cake and ultimately fat again.

Soprano

Post by Soprano » Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:22 am

Welcome back :D

Jx
Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway.

Over43

Post by Over43 » Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:27 pm

Well, welcome back!

And milk, it is a good thing. I drink whole milk.
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:59 pm

Hi there! Welcome back!
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/18-25.6; 8/18-24.5; 10/18-23.8;
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
6/20-22.5; 7/20-23.0; 9/20-23.6
4/21 - 25.2

kfroggy13

Post by kfroggy13 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:24 am

Thank you everyone! I also finally was officially diagnosed with ADHD and anxiety recently and started medications for it. I'm realizing that No S is a great simple, straight forward structure and it's pretty easy for me to follow, especially since it's about building habits and the less I have to think about whether I should do something, the easier it is for me to manage.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu May 06, 2021 5:44 pm

Welcome back! I've been awol from the boards for a while too (but not from the diet and other systems, I always make sure to at least practice even if I can't preach!).

I'm so moved and gratified (and also a little ashamed) that so many board members have kept it going in my absence. Thank you!

I do think the factors that kept me away are starting to subside now and I can be at least a little more involved again.

Soprano

Post by Soprano » Fri May 07, 2021 7:10 pm

Would be good to see you back!

Jx
Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue May 11, 2021 6:03 pm

I'm back -- but trying to figure out how to get our from under "94405" notifcations (mostly spam account creating attempts) so please bear with me for a bit!

herd_o_turtles

Post by herd_o_turtles » Tue May 11, 2021 7:06 pm

Welcome back! I am also back after about 10 years, so glad to have company! :)

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Sun May 30, 2021 10:16 pm

Welcome back!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:11 pm

I've been at it about 11.5 years so we must have crossed paths. As I've aged, I haven't been able to eat enough at meals to get enough nutrition in, but I still feel the core of No S led me to be able to sustain enough moderation to maintain my loss and then some. If it helps at all, know that what you do in middle age can greatly affect your mental abilities (as well as other systems) in your senior years so it is worth every ounce of effort you expend now. I'm doing my best to make up for overages back then, and there are still days it feels tough, but I just can't accept the alternative. I hope you don't go through another decade or so of wavering as I did, especially when you have the incentive of kids!

I gently suggest that you start thinking, if you haven't already, that stress is a reason to adopt and stick to the habits, not abandon them. Embrace the idea that you USED to be a stress eater. No matter how bad things get between meals, there is always something better to do than eat, even if it seems silly or irritating. I have found a little cry goes a long way, as well as more traditional stuff, but I also binge on posting here or other places. But I have no children to monitor, so I'm spoiled.

Keep reminding yourself that whatever you do is what you are reinforcing!

Congrats on all the good stuff over the years, too.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

ladybird30

Post by ladybird30 » Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:20 am

oolala53 wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:11 pm
IEmbrace the idea that you USED to be a stress eater.
Its my belief that the way we see ourselves can be very powerful. For instance, when I was young, I used to have the occasional cigarette. Sometimes it was more than occasional. But I never actually saw myself or identified myself as a smoker (go figure). And when I decided not to smoke any more, I had no trouble stopping. I used to tell myself that I was lucky not to have become addicted, but now I also wonder if not thinking of myself as a smoker also had something to do with that.
Three meals a day - not too little not too much, but just right