Sleep Deprivation

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Carolyn1006

Sleep Deprivation

Post by Carolyn1006 » Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:43 pm

How do you deal with cravings related to overall exhaustion? I am really struggling with sleep deprivation right now. I have a baby who wakes up every 1-2 hours and have to get up at 4 am several days a week for work. Exhaustion makes me want to shovel everything in my mouth and I feel like I am white knuckling between meals even though I am not hungry. Drinking tea or sparkling water helps to some extent but I could use some other ideas. Naps, unfortunately, are not an option. One thing that is working is redundancy in meals. Last week I made a pan of baked oatmeal and a huge pot of soup on Sunday and that was my breakfast/lunch for 4-5 days.
Start (6/24): 165
10/5: 156
11/5: 155
12/5: 154
Goal: 145

Over43

Re: Sleep Deprivation

Post by Over43 » Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:07 am

I do not even know how to address your situation without shoveling trite platitudes out of my mouth. I have gone years sleeping poorly. I went to a sleep study. Truly a waste. The nurse who was in charge declared I am known as a bright. People who go days without sleep, and yet function well. I also have multiple limb movement disorder. Let us return to me being a bright, my wife disagreed with the nurse.

Then I discovered Ambien. That was not a win. One Saturday I took one thinking I would nap. I did, I got in my car, drove to my friend's home, and napped in his chair. I do not remember getting there. In my defense, somehow I got clothes on.

I have noticed that when I am not sleeping well I eat more. When I am teaching it seems like I to eat to stay awake. Particularly I eat carbs in that situation. Big Hunks, Pop, Hershey Kisses, etc. And I binge. Then I drag my carcass home and work out.

Possibly, if you have family near, or a very trusted friend, they could spell you a bit? Here and there?

Aside from that, congratulations. I hope your baby is healthy, and I hope you are doing well.
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

Carolyn1006

Post by Carolyn1006 » Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:17 am

WOW! I have heard enough Ambien horror stories to know that will never be on the table for me. I am planning to start taking Unisom again once my little one is a bit older. It at least helps me fall straight to sleep and stay asleep even if I am not getting a lot of hours at night. I hear you on the binge/workout pattern. No S has really helped me with the "what the heck" effect though. Even if I am not perfectly compliant, I am doing a lot less late evening exhausted eating. I have never heard the "bright" description. Interesting!
Start (6/24): 165
10/5: 156
11/5: 155
12/5: 154
Goal: 145

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:38 am

I'm posting this on multiple threads, in case people didn't see the post in September, as I didn't until this week.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12589&sid=f78e58541 ... 8b9ac412b4
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:33 am

I have discovered that I (for years and years) eat when I’m tired! I have hypothyroidism, so thats pretty much all the time. I think I got used to the food giving me energy. I’m trying to focus on KNOWING that, and knowing it will also wear off and what I really need is sleep. Drink water, have caffeine if you can when you need to (I have a caffeine intolerance) and try to sleep and nap when you can. This time will pass and you will one day miss it terribly.
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me