Does Weight Watchers work?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

~reneew

Does Weight Watchers work?

Post by ~reneew » Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:25 am

I’m a former noS eater from way back ten or so years ago. I always did well and lost weight… then would fall off track again, but was slowly decreasing. I love the whole idea of noS. It’s how my skinny parents, grandparents, and great grandparents ate.

Anyway, about 2.5 years ago I had a pulmonary embolism (found out I have a clotting disorder) and freaked out needing to loose weight fast or else. I lost about 25 pounds just doing noS but then decided I needed it to go faster, so I joined Weight watchers. I lost 75 pounds total. Then, I started to get really seriously sick of the diet foods I had learned to eat. I was about ready to gag if I had to eat another egg or chicken breast. Slowly over the next year and a half have gained all of the WEIGHT WATCHER weight back.

So, now I’m back and going to do this, the sensible normal noS plan. Forever. :D
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

Mustloseweight

Re: Does Weight Watchers work?

Post by Mustloseweight » Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:17 pm

I need to do the same x
September 2017 - Starting weight: 19st 9lbs
March 2018 - 17st 2lbs
July 2018 - 16st 4lbs
July 2020 - 17st 10lbs 😟
Target Weight: 11 stones

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:29 pm

Not sure why this thread is named what it is. Nothing has been shown to "work" for the long run. As Reinhard says "before and during."

First of all, congrats on taking control and using up all that fat (and prolly some muscle- I know I have)! Sorry you got tired of the process.

I'm did WW years ago and actually learned a lot about what meals I found pleasurable and "vital." I used a lot of those meals during much of my No S time, losing and maintaining. (Old age has altered some things; I have gotten more restrictive of the foods I eat for various reasons, and not always keeping to 3 meals. Have written about it for quite awhile on my thread. But I still love what No S did for me.) I don't remember WW dictating what I ate, though they did push a lot of low fat and packaged stuff I ignored. And I guess the fact that certain foods have certain values to them affected how much people include them, but the same can be said of a "healthy" diet. I do know that my compulsive eating returned after it and was going through its peak not long before I saw No S and realized it could be a good "treatment." But I had to want it. It still took a fair amount of effort.

Oops, didn't mean to make this about me.

You are still going to have to decide what to eat, and I hope you will do it in light of your disorder. No S cannot defy the laws of physics and chemistry!

Best wishes.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:12 pm

I my observation, WW works to ignite a yo-yo diet cycle.
It seems to create a situation of deprivation that works like a rubber-band, and then when someone inevitably eats off plan, they gain back more than they lost.
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:53 am

I agree - WW ignited years of disordered eating in me, and for a pretty price, too.

minimizer

Post by minimizer » Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:54 am

WW has never worked for me long-term.

Sammybunny711

Post by Sammybunny711 » Fri Feb 18, 2022 5:38 pm

I have started and quit Weight Watchers 5 times. In my opinion, it's not sustainable for the long haul unless you have extraordinary willpower. I always come back to the sanity of No S.
Height: 5'4"
Highest weight: 210.4
Current Weight: 191.8 (-18.6 lbs)
Goal Weight: 125-135

*^..^711