just heard of Wansink's fall

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

oolala53

just heard of Wansink's fall

Post by oolala53 » Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:34 am

Does anyone remember BrIan Wansink, who wrote Mindless Eating, the book that reported many eating lab experiments that showed, supposedly, that people are unconsciously influenced to eat more or less by the environment? I loved that book and used the principles often. Some of his studies were redacted, and he was forced to resign. But the principles made so much sense! I know for sure I tend to want to eat more when served more or when I I have access to a lot of food, even after years of maintenance. What a shame. Because I still think environment makes a big difference. We have to create our own moderate food environments!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

ladybird30

Re: just heard of Wansink's fall

Post by ladybird30 » Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:25 am

Absolutely. Even when I was still having bouts of bingeing, I was saved from a lot of excess consumption of junk food by the thought that I would have to get in the car and go and buy some. If it had been in the house I would have eaten it for sure. Actually, if it had been in the house, I would have already eaten it.
Three meals a day - not too little not too much, but just right

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:15 am

I agree! Getting control of your environment is half the battle!

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:45 pm

I had heard, and was disheartened. His creds had seemed so impeccable, and his conclusions so common-sensical.

The danger of wanting something to be true, especially if it seems so plausible, is real. Good science has to get past that.

My hope is it's the particular experiments, rather than the larger truths that they were shortcuts to, that have been discredited.