So glad to have found you

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Mom3

So glad to have found you

Post by Mom3 » Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:04 pm

Hi there~ This is my first post on any bulletin board, ever! However, it is also my first success with weight loss after numerous tries with Weight Watchers, Low-Carb, Low Fat. etc etc.
I have been doing No-S since August 25 and have lost 9 pounds. What has been more exciting, though, is that I finally feel in control of my eating and can actually look forward to eating any meal with my family as long as I watch my portion sizes and my S's.
I have a question: the first weeks I lost only a pound, then all of a sudden three and then four. Is this just my body adjusting??
Anyway, thanks for all the great posts--they do keep me going.
Good luck to everyone!!!

scaissie

Hi

Post by scaissie » Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:30 pm

Hi,

I am new also, I am on day 10 today. My weight fluctuates so much, it is hard to tell, but I think I may have lost a couple of pounds in the 10 days. I am usually a slow loser. I am trying to speed it up a little with exercise, though.

As far as weight loss being 1 pound then 3-4 pounds, I thought usually it was the other way around. But anyway, that is great that you are losing. It may be that you started eating less as you got more used to it to. I have found myself eating less this week than last week.

I also have been on Weight Watchers, in fact I was on WW this summer and lost about 12 pounds, but gained it all back after going on a vacation to Germany to see my mom, who lives there. All that chocolate and bread was too tempting. If I had been on No S, though, maybe I would have just maintained or not gained so much. I still could have ate the good food and saved my sweets for weekend. It was mostly the breads that I ate too much of, lots of pretzels for snacks, etc.

Keep up the good work.

Does Mom 3 mean you have 3 kids? I have 3 children, 12, 15 and 19 years old.
Shannon

Mom3

Thanks for the reply

Post by Mom3 » Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:34 pm

Hi Shannon--Guess we newbies will have to support each other. Sounds like you are doing well. I hadn't thought that I was eating less, but now that I think about it, smaller portions are more satisfying than they were 3 weeks ago.
Yes, Mom3 means I have three kids. They are 18, 16 and 3.
Good luck staying with it. Let me know how you are doing! :)

Benjumanji

Post by Benjumanji » Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:44 pm

Hi, Mom3--welcome!

My way of dealing with fits and starts on the weight is to weigh only once a month. I am finding myself counting down to October 1.

I (haven't we all?) have had so many experiences where I thought I was doing really well with good food choices, exercise, etc. but the scale said no loss or 1 pound gain or loss...I just can't face the emotional rollercoaster. I would often find myself thinking "why bother trying..." or some such defeatist attitude.

With NoS I tell myself this is how I eat. It is reasonable and sustainable, and healthy if I make good food choices at my meals. If I don't lose pounds, it won't keep me from continuing the NoS way of thinking.
Carol

"If not now, when?"

scaissie

Weighing

Post by scaissie » Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:21 pm

Carol,

That is a good idea. I think I will start only weighing once a month. I am way too obsessed with the scales, to the point of weighing myself 2-3 times a week sometimes, it can really get you down when you see a weight gain.

Shannon
Shannon

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:29 pm

Welcome Mom3!

You must be stoked!!!
Great start and keep going!!!

I love seeing newbies on NoS!!!
And most, are sooo happy to have found it!
I know I am!
Continued good luck to you :)

Peace and Love,
8) Deb
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

Mom3

Thanks

Post by Mom3 » Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:20 pm

Thanks for all the encouragement and tips.

Deb-I never heard the term "stoked" but it's perfect for how great I am feeling about things!

I may try weighing in less frequently--but for now, it seems to keep me on track.

Great day to everyone. Only one more until an S day !!!!!
Hey--stoked begins with S!!!!!

navin

Post by navin » Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:59 am

I love seeing newbies on NoS!!!
And most, are sooo happy to have found it!
I know I am!
Continued good luck to you Smile
But newbies beware - this place is like a cult! I couldn't leave now if I wanted to. :D
Before criticizing someone, you should try walking a mile in their shoes. Then you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

LoveULife

Post by LoveULife » Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:36 am

Hey all
I am one day old to NoSDiet and can see quite good success stories here. Abt me, i am 23/F and have put on almost 10 kg in last 3 years when i was too much concentrating on studies and job...before that i was in a perfect shape. Along with that extra 10 kgs came following devils...lack of concentration,lack of interst in work,guilt,"u look like ur mothers big sister" kinda comments that i really tell u hurt a lott.......and yes i have left with less choices of sexy cloths that once i used to and loved to wear..
found this site when i was browsing thru net for weight loss support and was about to close the google after getting exhausted with lot of sites promising to help to reduce weight at high cost but with a schedule hard to follow for the life time...NoSDiet looked 'S'imple and appealing and so i decided to give it a try.
i want to see even my success story on this discussion forum after a monthor so.
wish a 'S'uccess to all those who have joined recently.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:53 pm

Regarding why you lost counter intuitive amounts of weight these first few weeks: I have no idea. There's natural fluctuation, inaccurate scales, who knows. I wouldn't obsess over it, short term. Over a period of many months, you'll lose weight in a more predictable way. 9 pounds is more than random flux, and a great sign that this is working.

LoveULife,

A lot of people wait a lot longer than three years to do something about being overweight, so you're ahead of the game on that score. Looking forward to seeing your success story here, too.

Reinhard

mommashell

welcome to the newbes!!

Post by mommashell » Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:04 pm

LoveULife wrote:Hey all
I am one day old to NoSDiet and can see quite good success stories here. Abt me, i am 23/F and have put on almost 10 kg in last 3 years when i was too much concentrating on studies and job...before that i was in a perfect shape. Along with that extra 10 kgs came following devils...lack of concentration,lack of interst in work,guilt,"u look like ur mothers big sister" kinda comments that i really tell u hurt a lott.......and yes i have left with less choices of sexy cloths that once i used to and loved to wear..
found this site when i was browsing thru net for weight loss support and was about to close the google after getting exhausted with lot of sites promising to help to reduce weight at high cost but with a schedule hard to follow for the life time...NoSDiet looked 'S'imple and appealing and so i decided to give it a try.
i want to see even my success story on this discussion forum after a monthor so.
wish a 'S'uccess to all those who have joined recently.
Hi all you newbes. I'm Shell and if I can do it, I'm sure anyone can. As another person sakid, I hate diets and I hate exercise, but this is doable because you don't have to do it that long. Or rather the not doing it is worked into the plan like smoking being not forbidden makes it not so big a deal. Anyway, I love no s for the time being. I haven't had phenomonal success, except that I've gone back after going off and found that my stomach is adjusting to eating only three meals most of the time.
Shell

LoveULife

Post by LoveULife » Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:50 am

Thanks mommashell and thanks Reinhard
yesterday i watched a movie 'Dirty Dancing'...
i wonder how come someone be sooooo thin????
one more advantage of being slimmm....that ur body can be trained easily to be flexible....
Start from where u are, with whatever you have
make something of it ,and never get SATISFIED

LoveULife

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:42 pm

If someone were paying you 7 figures to be thin -- believe me, you'd be thin. Unless, toward the twilight of your career, you calculated that you could make even more money by intentionally getting fat and then making a spectacle of losing the weight again.

doulachic

Post by doulachic » Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:09 pm

Reinhard, that actually has happened! (but you probably know that) I think Tom Hanks and maybe Sly Stallone to name a few? Seems silly to gain 30 pounds to play a movie role...course, they can afford personal trainers afterward... :roll:
***GRINS***
Tricia

"When you are in a jam, a good friend will bring a loaf of bread and peanut butter..."

LoveULife

Post by LoveULife » Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:00 am

yes Reinhard, thats true
i put on weight becoz after my school education was over, there were more important things to be done than playing ,participating in sport activities etc.
somehow things we get very easily we value them least...
good health which i inherited from my parents was a free gift to me n thats why i did not bother to keep myself fit.

I have read a story of a 'DOCTOR' named Abhay Bang who had a heart attack at the age of 35 or something.... followed by balloon angiography, very complicated state in heart disease and ....diabetise
He had very few chances of survival after the surgery....
but then he decides to give himself a chance....makes remarkable changes in his eating habits and physical activities....
and he WINS the WAR.....
That book was like an eye opener for me.
Now i know that my health is the biggest asset for me...
and I am trying my best to be faithful to my Goals :-)
Start from where u are, with whatever you have
make something of it ,and never get SATISFIED

LoveULife