Old fashioned excuses for virtue

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

reinhard
Site Admin

Old fashioned excuses for virtue

Post by reinhard » Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:17 pm

We're all too familiar with excuses for failure ("cravings!" "stress!" "depression!"), but there are plenty of excuses for success in the repertoire too. They're a little dusty, but very compelling.

If someone offers you seconds:

"No thanks, I've had plenty. I'm full."

If someone offers you snacks/sweets between meals:

"No thanks. I don't want to spoil my appetite."

Remember how worried our mothers used to be about us "spoiling our appetites?" We used to hear these phrases all the time. They're almost quaint and nostalgic now. Let's bring them back. If someone smiles at it, they'd better be skinny.

I'm sure there are a gazillion more besides these.

Reinhard

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:53 pm

This has more to do with the things our mothers used to tell us rather than the discussion at hand. I could never figure out how me cleaning my plate was going to help the starving children in China.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

kccc

Post by kccc » Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:19 am

Some I posted in my ramblings after your "season's warning" podcast:

... Not just yet / Maybe later/ Especially good for desserts, or the cake someone brought in. People often don't notice if later never comes, at least not that day. My personal favorite.
..."No thanks, I've had my quota for today." They don't need to know your quota is zero today.
... If you go out and everyone else is having dessert, order coffee or hot tea. Something okay for you, that keeps the sense of "company."
... For the people who bring in home baking... just admire it to them without having any. "That looks delicious!" Use excuse #1 not to taste. But very often, acknowledgement of effort is enough.

Wosnes - I remember getting in DEEP trouble as a kid when I responded to the "starving children in India" line with "Give me a box to mail this to them, and we'll both be happy!" Okay, it was disrespectful... but also good problem-solving!

zoolina

Post by zoolina » Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:29 am

After a big meal, when the desert comes out, I often say: Wow that looks great but I'm nearly full. Why don't you give me just a fork and I'll share (with hubby). " Then I'll take the smaaaaalest bite and put my fork down. No deprivation and almost no -s.

Zoolina

silverfish

Post by silverfish » Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:50 pm

I flew to Sydney for work yesterday. On the way back, our inflight meals came with little chocolate bars ("Boost", which is a much nicer bar than it sounds). I gave mine to the associate partner I was traveling with. He will eat anything chocolate coated and didn't quite understand.

So, possible answers to: "You don't want your chocolate?!"

"No thanks, I only eat expensive/high quality/Lindt/70% chocolate".

"I do, but on top of the lack of sleep and the coffee today, over the last two hours I have had a beer and three glasses of vintage champagne and I don't need a sugar high as well."

"I am quite capable of getting hyperactive without sugar, so I try to save chocolate for the weekends when I am less likely to embarrass myself in front of work colleagues."

"I don't think it will go well with the aftertaste of airplane mushroom ravioli."

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Sun Dec 24, 2006 2:20 pm

Here's one that I've used a lot, especially in restaurants:

When the waiter comes over with a dessert tray and/or menu I just hold up my hand, shake my head and say:

"I surrender"

It usually gets a laugh.

I know, it's corney, but at least I've diverted attention.

PS. If it's an N Day and I'm out, I can usually get by dessert by ordering a latte or some tea....

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Mon Dec 25, 2006 11:30 am

"Looks great. I'm kind of stuffed now, so I'll wait 'til a little later when I can really enjoy it."

joasia

Post by joasia » Mon Dec 25, 2006 11:01 pm

I am really full right now or I am not hungry now. Can you wrap it up so I can have some at home later.
The destiny of nations depends on the manner in which they feed themselves. Jean-Anthelme Brillat-Savarin