Help me ride this one out... aaah!

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

FarmerHal

Help me ride this one out... aaah!

Post by FarmerHal » Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:06 pm

:x I'm not really hungry feeling right at the moment, sortof heartburnish but I feel so compelled to have a snack right now!! Supper is in a couple hours yet, which isn't all that long but this craving has got to be the worst one yet I've had.

Doesn't help that 2 yr old ds is snacking on a bagel.

Auuuuugh!!

I want a smiley on my calendar (don't ahve red/yellow/green stickers yet, so using a :) for successful days, :? for S days and :cry: for failures)

Grrrr. go away craving!!

J Ellis

Post by J Ellis » Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:58 pm

Try push-ups. :)

Drink lots of water.

Drink hot tea.

Just remember: Nothing tastes as good as being fit feels.

Meditate on how good success feels.

Self-discipline = Strength

Joel

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:15 pm

Have a drink. Coffee. A caloric drink if necessary.

Keep hitting reload on this page and see what people come up with.

You can do it! Hang in there.

Reinhard

Iregirl

Post by Iregirl » Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:24 pm

I don't have a lot of advice beyond what's been offered, but you can get through it. I second the drinking water. Drink a nice, cold glass. Then another. Then another. :wink:

Do you have any gum around? Some people say that helps.

hexagon

Post by hexagon » Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:51 am

Hi,

I don't know if I'm too late here, but as the Gastritis Queen, I know how heartburn and stomach pain can kind of feel a bit like hunger, or at least make you want to eat something to soothe the discomfort. If I'm having a bit of that (not severe), then I down some Tums and Maalox and a lot of water. Then it goes away.

If you're getting some sort of heartburn regularly you might want to consider taking Prilosec (OTC medicine that reduces acid production), or see a doctor for a check-up (there's some stronger prescription stuff out there). Heartburn and/or gastritis can really wreak havoc on weight loss efforts simply because they make you want to eat!

Penultimate resort: a milky drink, which can at least psychologically be soothing. If you're lactose-intolerant, soymilk (with a bit of sugar/sweetener and vanilla), heated up, can be good.

Last resort: If heartburn continues, eat a small quantity of mild starch. I like oatmeal, myself. A single serving is maybe 150 calories (if you use artificial sweetener) or a little bit more with sugar, so it isn't so bad, plus you're getting soluble fiber, etc. etc.

--H

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:10 pm

A single serving is maybe 150 calories (if you use artificial sweetener) or a little bit more with sugar, so it isn't so bad, plus you're getting soluble fiber, etc. etc.
A teaspoon of sugar has 16 calories, so unless you're using a lot, it's not a problem. Besides, it's probably a healthier option than using an artificial sweetener.

Rice, white or brown, is a good option, too.

In terms of avoiding hunger, the thing I've found works best is to distract myself. Get busy doing something.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:51 pm

Well I survived!! Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. I called my sister and talked and also drank a lot of water. The heartburning sensation went away after that.

sorry so short, potty training ds (2 1/2) aaah!

J Ellis

Post by J Ellis » Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:07 pm

If eating a small snack works for some of you during a vicious craving, far be it from me to discourage success. However, I think there are a couple of good reasons to avoid doing so unless the situation absolutely necessitates it.

The first reason is behavioral. Once you compromise, it becomes easier to compromise. Further compromises are rationalized on the basis of what has already been done. After all, the 100 calorie packs of Oreos are an even better alternative than that 150 calorie bowl of oatmeal. Right? No S isn't about rationalizing low-calorie foods. It is about disciplining yourself for your longterm good. Reinhard's podcast on Strictness explains this very well.

The second reason is physiological. Carbs increase cravings. If you eat sugar, you will want more sugar. Eating a small snack of carbs (especially one with sugar in it) is one of the worst things you can do to satisfy a craving. Perhaps it works for some of you. But for most people, if you eat carbs to satisfy a craving, you will end up eating more carbs. Refined carbs and empty sugars are largely to blame for the obesity problem (along with inactivity and the absence of self-restraint). Eating them to pacify a craving is like trying to put a fire out with gasoline.

My .02

Joel

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:35 pm

Joel I agree with all of your points here. Especially: "once you compromise, it becomes easier to compromise."

I don't want to do any backsliding or find another excuse to quit and get even more unhealthy.

hexagon

Post by hexagon » Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:49 pm

Hi,

I think that different things work for different people when it comes to weight loss and health.

First, I don't think universally that carbs cause cravings. In my experience, it depends upon the psychology/physiology of the person involved, as well as the carb. If I eat a slice of whole wheat bread or an orange, my blood sugar doesn't go wacko, as opposed to a pack of Oreos. (Incidentally, as an experienced gastritis/heartburn sufferer, I'd *never* advocate something like Oreos for heartburn, except maybe for a masochist.) Plus, I've lived/traveled a lot in both Europe and Asia, where bread (including white) and white rice, respectively, are pretty big staples of their diets. Many more Europeans and Asians maintain healthy weights--obviously their carb intake isn't inducing crazy cravings. I also have plenty of slim friends who enjoy a lot of carbs. Then again, for those people with really messed-up blood sugar, or recovering from Atkins, or with a really huge sweet tooth, a stronger restriction of carbs may be necessary.

As for assuming that compromising the rules now and then is a definite slippery slope into debauched gluttony...Well, maybe for some people it is, and those people should be strict. On the other hand, being overly strict can also lead to the "all-or-nothing" attitude of "well, I ate one extra thing, so I'm a total failure today, which gives me license to go hog wild." I just mentioned the calories thing not to rationalize the extra food intake as much as to put it in perspective. Having an extra 200 calories once in a month to soothe heartburn isn't going to make a person fat. It's the habits of eating a donut with coffee everyday, of snacking or emotional eating, of allowing every little slip-up to be an excuse to eat a whole box of cookies.

I'm living proof of this. Twice in my second 21-day stint of No-S, I overate due to severe gastritis (it was partially therapeutic, although I believe I took too much license to eat). I'm still losing, though (now 5-6 pounds in 3.5 weeks), because my (partially) therapeutic eating wasn't the problem. The habit of running to food for emotional comfort was the problem.

I honestly don't think that even within No-S that there is one absolute path to weight loss with absolute rules. Everybody has a different body and different emotional backgrounds. For some people absolute strictness is the only way. For other people who have struggled for years with overly-restrictive diets (like myself), some forgiveness and flexibility is good. I know there's a lot of people like that who are reading this bulletin board. What I've found is that the more forgiving I've been of myself, the less I've overeaten. Managing hunger and weight loss has been a matter of fine-tuning for me, of figuring out how strict I can be before I begin to rebel and tuning into my body's responses to different foods.

Ultimately, I believe instead of mindlessly hewing to any rules about weight loss and health, we have to take the responsibility to really do our homework on ourselves. Of course we have to be willing to change our behavior to be more healthy, but we have to consider our own individual preferences, situations, etc.

--H