some questions for no s

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

joasia

some questions for no s

Post by joasia » Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:24 pm

I like no s very much. But I have some questions. Soup being one. I like soup. I come from a family that eats soup. And I feel that soup is a healthy food, especially when homemade. I don't want to totally give it up because then I feel like I am on some crappy diet again that restricts certain types of food. So how can soup be enjoyed on no s? Any ideas? Also, I have a question about healthy drinks like milk and 100% fruit or vegetable juice. Can you still partake of one glass of either of these with a meal? Or are they not workable on no s. Thank you.
The destiny of nations depends on the manner in which they feed themselves. Jean-Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:09 pm

I have soup nearly every day for lunch. Sometimes I have it alone, sometimes with salad and/or a sandwich. If I have soup only I have a larger serving than if I have it along with a salad or sandwich. It just doesn't fit nicely into the "one physical plate" rule. However, it's a healthy and often rather low-calorie food.

From an article in Natural Health magazine:
HERE'S NOTHING LIKE A BOWL of hearty, homemade soup to warm and comfort you. But eating soup has another benefit, according to both folk wisdom and scientific studies: It can help you lose weight. That's because, even though it's mostly water, soup satisfies you like a meal. One researcher who has studied soup in the lab is Barbara Rolls, Ph.D., author of Volumetrics (HarperCollins, 2000). She and her colleagues in the nutrition department at Penn State University in University Park asked women to eat either chicken casserole, chicken casserole with a glass of water, or chicken casserole with water added to make soup. The women were allowed to eat whatever they wanted at their next meal, and Rolls kept track of their caloric intake. Her findings were good news for dieters: When the study participants ate chicken soup they consumed 100 fewer calories at their next meal than when they ate the other two options.

The reasons for this difference are complex, but Rolls theorizes that perception has a lot to do with it--the soup looked more filling than the casserole because it took up more space. Water, when consumed separately from food, satisfies thirst but not hunger. But when water is mixed with food, as in a brothy soup with chunky ingredients, the body handles it like food. As soup fills your stomach, it activates stretch receptors that send satiety signals to your brain. As the soup empties from your stomach, satiety hormones flow into your bloodstream, helping you feel full.
I don't see why a glass of milk or vegetable juice wouldn't be okay with a meal.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

kccc

Re: some questions for no s

Post by kccc » Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:57 pm

Soup doesn't work well on "one plate," does it? (I'm assuming that's the issue?)

Translate to "a reasonable serving" with no seconds, and enjoy. One of the real beauties of No-S is its flexibility and reasonableness.

hexagon

Post by hexagon » Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:18 am

I'm totally with you on homemade soup. It rocks, especially during the winter.

I've been eating soup regularly and have been losing weight, as well as drinking milk. As long as you're reasonable like wosnes suggested, I don't think it is a problem. For example, if it is a richer, heavier soup, and you still want a sandwich, you could eat half a sandwich instead of the whole thing. For a lighter soup, you could accompany it with more food.

I eat salad a lot too and I just have to use common sense for that, because it is so fluffy that a single plate is not enough (as long as you don't drown it in dressing).

Go soup!

pangelsue

Post by pangelsue » Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:32 am

Ditto. Heavy soup can be a meal. Light soup, with a half sandwich or something to fill it out. I put the soup in the bowl on a plate. If a sandwich fits along side I am good.
A lot of growing up happens between "it fell" and "I dropped it."

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:24 am

I put the soup in the bowl on a plate. If a sandwich fits along side I am good.
I find that really depends on the dishes. One set of dishes the bowl fits nicely on a dinner plate with room left over for a sandwich; another the bowl takes up the majority of the plate. There's really not that much difference in the amount the bowls hold; it's the shape of the bowls.

I figure one bowl of soup equals one serving. It's easier and less stressful to my way of thinking! I do the same with salads. I don't like them on my dinner plate, yet they're usually a large part of my dinner. So one salad plate or bowl and the remainder of dinner is on my plate.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:23 am

Soup can confound the clarity of no-s a bit, but with a modicum of attention you can pull it off without much danger. It's like virtual plating, except even more legitimate. I think it boils down to this:

1. If the soup is hearty, have a hunk of bread with it and call it a meal (vanilla no s).

or

2. Eat a smaller dinner plate if you're also having soup (virtual plating).

I've done both. I usually do #1. I eat plenty of soup.

Reinhard

harpista

Post by harpista » Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:20 am

I love it when I stumble on an answer to one of my niggling questions accidentally! Excellent! ;)

I am an obsessed soupmaker. :)

(But I skip the hunk of bread and make scratch cornbread instead.... :twisted: )
Nulla palma sine pulvere.
'No garland of victory without first the dust of the arena.'

Sometimesians, unite!

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:09 pm

So one salad plate or bowl and the remainder of dinner is on my plate.
By the way, when I do this, the plate is still 1/2 veggies/fruit, 1/4 protein and 1/4 starch. Veggies are so high in nutrients and low in calories I figure it's not bad in any way. I don't put less on the plate because I've had soup or salad.