Restaurant plates

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

joasia

Restaurant plates

Post by joasia » Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:30 pm

Restaurant plates seem bigger than the plates at home. And even when they are not bigger, they seem to load them to the max. I have tried eating half. But that doesn't always work. Any suggestions?
The destiny of nations depends on the manner in which they feed themselves. Jean-Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:49 pm

My daughter and I recently ate at a Greek restaurant. The portions were so large it was impossible to even think about eating all of it. When they boxed up what I left, it required 2 boxes! It fed me 2 meals at home.

Keep trying! And, as soon as your meal is served, ask the server to immediately box up half of it to take home.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

pangelsue

Post by pangelsue » Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:57 am

I agree with boxing up before you start. If I know a restaurant has large portions, I always ask for a box right away. Out of sight, out of mind. My favorite way to use this trick is breakfast. I love pancakes, omelets, fried potatoes, whatever but it is very easy to eat more than a thousand calories with a breakfast like that. I order what I want and ask for a to go container right away. I eat about a third of the omelet and potatoes and one pancake. I take the rest home. I find that it reheats really well. So I get breakfast out for 2 days instead of one. Win, win. Good luck.
A lot of growing up happens between "it fell" and "I dropped it."

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:07 am

The simplest, cheapest solution is: avoid eating in restaurants on a frequent, routine basis. If it's not routine, then it doesn't really matter.

If for some compelling reason you do have to eat in restaurants routinely, these advanced techniques sound good.

Reinhard

navin

Post by navin » Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:38 pm

In addition to what everyone else has said, try ordering a lunch item or appetizer as a dinner main course. I find a restaurant sandwich and side typically fills me for dinner. Or often I'll find an appetizer that looks so good i could eat it as a whole meal. Bonus: these tend to be cheaper than a full meal, too.

Option if you have no pride (or shame): say you're over 55 and order from the senior's menu. :shock:
Before criticizing someone, you should try walking a mile in their shoes. Then you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

JustAnnie

Post by JustAnnie » Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:35 am

Another option is to split an entree with your spouse or a friend. It saves you both money and you don't have to worry about leftovers. Just be sure to take someone along who has the same taste in food, then order one meal and an extra plate! :wink:
Just Annie

You Can't Fail Until You Quit Trying