what is everyone eating?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

joasia

what is everyone eating?

Post by joasia » Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:39 pm

I was wondering if anyone is willing to post a regular nos day of meals. What are you eating?

Here is mine:
Breakfast: 1 slice bread with cheese, orange
Lunch: 1 cup homemade soup, 1 sandwich, 1 fruit
Dinner: 1 plate of chicken, rice, vegetables, salad, I glass compote
The destiny of nations depends on the manner in which they feed themselves. Jean-Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

JustAnnie

Post by JustAnnie » Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:40 pm

Breakfast: 1/2 Cup oatmeal with slpenda, cinnamon, blueberries, coffee

Lunch: Chicken sandwich on wheat, small veggie salad with Paul Newan's Asian Ginger low fat dressing (I love this dressing) Water

Dinner: Southern Barbecue White Pork, baked potato, Vegetarian baked beans and broccoli. Orange. Coffee.

Between meals: coffee and tea. Sometimes skim milk before bed.
Just Annie

You Can't Fail Until You Quit Trying

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:27 am

Varies... but a representative one...

Breakfast -
Cafe au lait (1/2 cup milk heated in microwave in HUGE mug, filled up with coffee, 1 tsp sugar)
Whole wheat toast with PB
Banana
Maybe orange juice

Lunch
Quesadilla
Salad
Cherry tomatoes
Tangerine

Dinner
Spaghetti with clam sauce (Whole wheat spaghetti this time, but not always)
Broccoli
Apple slices with walnuts sprinked over

During the day - hot herbal tea, no sugar, or water.
After dinner - 1-2 glasses wine

I generally do the 1/4 plate protein, 1/4 plate carbs, 1/2 plate fruit/veggies pattern, and try to have at least 2 different fruits/veg per meal. Lunch is often dinner leftovers.

elena

Post by elena » Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:25 am

i think i was eating a lot more than the examples posted here back when i was no-Sing.. and it was still much less than maintenance for me.. check out my daily check in if interested, i kept a food diary for a few days..
elena

zoolina

Post by zoolina » Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:04 am

Usually, this is what I have

Breakfast: Oatmeal with tbs almond butter, 1/2 peice fruit
Lunch #1: Sandwich, fruit
Lunch #2: Small plate of Leftovers
Dinner: Big plate of whatever

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:16 pm

Each day varies of course.

B'fast I like to have a protein, carb and a fruit, and a calcium source. So today was a hard boiled egg, a strawberry/banana yogurt and a piece of toast. I also like to have my coffee (decaf always) with creamer in the morning.

Lunch I do protein, carb and a fruit or veg usually with a glass of soy milk. Lunch today will be leftover pork tenderloin chop with mashed potatoes and green beans. Sometimes if I'm extra hungry I'll also slice up an apple.

Supper is my favorite meal, because dh and I usually get really artsy fartsy lol. Protein, carb, veggie and/or fruit.
A typical meal looks like: 3oz steak with couscous and asparagus and a bunch of grapes. With water or juice or soy milk.
Or salmon with wild rice and steamed carrots and pears.

Good stuff!

I do like to have an evening decaf coffee as well and am weaning myself off the creamer for that. Down to about a Tablespoon now.

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:19 pm

KCCC said "I generally do the 1/4 plate protein, 1/4 plate carbs, 1/2 plate fruit/veggies pattern, and try to have at least 2 different fruits/veg per meal."

I do this too, and I feel like I am really nourishing my body this way! I don't feel a big guilty after eating meals like this and I've got a much more positive outlook towards food. :)

JustAnnie

Post by JustAnnie » Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:45 pm

I try to do the proportioned plate and have at least 5 fruits and veggies throughout the day. I also drink 8 glasses of water and eat whole grain breads and pastas. These good habits were learned through Weight Watchers and I guess I did get at least that out of their program, though it cost me a bundle during the months I belonged and my weight loss was really negligible.
Just Annie

silverfish

Post by silverfish » Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:40 pm

Yesterday was probably not a typical day (but when are they?) :

Breakfast: bacon egg and cheese toasted sandwich
Lunch: Campbells Pea & Ham soup and a large bread roll (white but would usually be wholemeal) and a small latte.
Dinner: Carrot, small tin of flavoured tuna, two rice thins (one with peanut butter - 'lite', but not by choice), nectarine, handful of cherries, a few lychees.

hexagon

Post by hexagon » Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:41 pm

Hi Milczar,

If you look at my daily check-in postings I normally write down exactly what I eat (except for the last three days, two of which were S-Days and today I'm feeling sick and want to go to bed pronto). I was steadily losing weight.

Best,

H

joasia

Post by joasia » Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:56 am

Hexagon,

How do I check daily check-ins?
The destiny of nations depends on the manner in which they feed themselves. Jean-Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

joasia

Post by joasia » Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:57 am

Hexagon,
Sorry, never mind I found it.

donnao1965

wonderful !

Post by donnao1965 » Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:06 pm

i am a terrible cook, and an even worse meal planner--

these menus look so yummy and filling !

please post more, they are a huge help to those of us who are remedial

cooks.

Donna O

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:41 pm

donnao1965, just for you...

Today's menu:

Breakfast
Cafe au lait (see prior post)
Scrambled eggs (2)
1 piece whole wheat toast (I make a half-sandwich with the eggs. Childhood comfort food.)
OJ

Lunch
- Baguette slice cut in half and toasted with cheese on top (pretty good size - about 4 inches bread, 2 oz cheese. Protein is my "anchor.")
- Broccoli left over from dinner (large portion - healthy filler)
- Tangerine

Dinner
- Barbecued chicken (in the crock-pot as we speak - it cooks off the bone, and the fat cooks out. I take out all the bones and remove skin, then add a little more bbq sauce)
- Potatoes - probably microwave "baked" (not as good as oven-baked, but I work, so am time-challenged in the evenings).
- Kale, stir-fried with olive oil, garlic and soy sauce (I try to do one dark-green leafy each week, but there aren't many ways my family will eat them. This is one.)
- Mixed veggies (medley from freezer)
(This is a good example of my "quartered plate" pattern. The chicken is protein, the potato starch/carb, then 2/4 are veggies.)

===
If you're not good at planning, think about the foods you like and can make first. If you're cooking for a group, ask everyone to list their faves. (I let my husband and son each choose one dish each week, then build the rest of my menu around their choices.)

Look at what you've got. Is that fairly balanced? Add additional meals. You may find a pattern works for you. For weekday dinners, I usually have one red meat, one chicken, one fish, one pasta, and one vegetarian (bean or egg) per week. Those are your main dishes - plan sides to match. Salads and frozen vegetables help a lot - easy to do and to have on hand.

If you don't like to cook, and don't mind leftovers, plan fewer meals and make larger portions so you have leftovers. Some things freeze well. I also take a lot of leftovers for my lunches.

Experiment with different recipes and save the ones that are favorites for future menu-planning. Keep a running list, so you don't forget a great summer dish over the winter.

If you like, I can recommend some cookbooks - but people have different tastes, so what I like you might not. There are also some "menu-mailer" services out there - where for a small fee, someone will mail you a list of recipes and a matching grocery list. I have tried two - liked one, didn't like the other. (I never made a whole week's recipes, just picked the ones that looked appealing. Over time, I built my repertoire to the point that I didn't bother continuing my subscription.)

JustAnnie

Post by JustAnnie » Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:13 pm

Yesterday's menu:

Breakfast: Whole Wheat Bagel with Fat Free Cream Cheese Orange

Lunch: Veggie pizza made at home on top of a wheat pita bread. (I like green pepper, onion, and tomatoes for toppings.) Pineapple in its own juice

Dinner: Stir fry chicken, green peppers and onions with fried brown rice. Baked apple with Splenda.
Just Annie

david

Post by david » Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:16 pm

1/10/07:

breakfast: banana, scrambled eggs, orange juice

lunch: small lettuce salad, beef/peppers/onions done fajita style, two types of salsa, iced tea w/a bit of sugar

dinner: roasted vegetables (potato, sweet potato, butternut squash), cheese, almonds, soy nog

--david

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:04 pm

I post my meals day by day on my check in, but here's a typical pattern:

Breakfast: protein = 1 or 2 eggs; starch = bagel; fruit/veggie = 100% juice.

Lunch at work: 1 container with mostly veggies plus some meat cut up into them; 1 container drained and rinsed canned fruit. Containers hold about a cup and a half of food each.

Dinner: 1/4 plate veggies and 1/4 plate fruit; 1/4 plate starch, like potato, rice, or bread; 1/4 plate meat.

joasia

Post by joasia » Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:46 am

Breakfast: 1 slice buttered whole wheat toast, hard boiled egg, orange juice

Lunch: Ham and cheese sandwich with lettuce, tomato, and real mayo, 1 cup homemade split-pea soup, 1 orange

Dinner: 2 slices of a beef roast (eye of round was the cut) with mushroom sauce, 4 or 5 new potatoes, salad with beets, onions, and real balsamic and olive oil dressing

Husband had huge bowl of ice cream, and I resisted. And he weighs 170 pounds!

joasia

Post by joasia » Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:50 am

I was a horrible cook. Thought I would never learn. Didn't have any desire to learn. Then I got married and moved to a farm overseas. I had to learn to cook or live on bread alone. So I learned from my grandmother and mother in law. I started simple and then actually learned to love it. If you treat it like a hobby, it can be a great creative outlet. Start small, you can do it.