Any suggestions?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

thtrchic

Any suggestions?

Post by thtrchic » Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:42 pm

I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts on a quandry I'm having. Tomorrow night, Friday a N day, I'm having dinner with a friend. We have dinner about once a month or so and traditionally split a dessert. I know that by not wanting to do that part I'll be sort of starting something and am feeling uncomfable about that. I just wnat to do my thing and see how in most cases I can put off sweets, but since it's just two of us and it's a splitting thing it seems hard to me. I don't think it's special enough to merit me making it an S day, though. I was thinking of the idea of keeping the day and the entire rest of the meal on N-day track, but then just splitting the dessert.

I also don't want to just swap Friday for Saturday because I don't want to start complicating this thing that way.

What do you guys think? Is that just an excuse Im making that I shouldn't be or is that reasonable?

Thanks for any advice you have.
Julie

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:38 pm

Well, there are a couple of things you can do:

1) tell your friend that you just don't feel like a dessert

2) start your "S" day a little early. Mine typically run from early Friday evening through early Sunday evening.

Truthfully, I'd probably go ahead and share the dessert because dinner with a friend, even a dinner that is pretty much a once-monthly routine, is "special" to me.

I tend to define special days as anything that's planned in advance. If I decide on the spur of the moment to go out to dinner, it's not special.

I think I'm probably in the minority in my opinion.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Last Martian

Post by Last Martian » Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:21 pm

If this is the only problematic issue for you I say just relax, call it a special day and enjoy your half a dessert. Heck, have a whole dessert (or two half ones).

If there are other similar issues for you, I'd be wary. You don't want to set a precedent.

I also think talking to your friend would be a good idea. But I'd guess you are probably right in your intution that it might be a sticky point. It's exactly the kind of thing where that'd be likely. So if you talk about it be extra diplomatic about it (don't mention it at the last possible moment, don't pretend it's a nothing-issue etc.). In fact, it would probably be better to talk about it not during your dinner, but at a seperate occasion.

Calling it a "sort-of special" day where only this one exception is allowed... To be honest, I don't really like that. It's not exactly wrong, but just declaring it a full-out special day seems more in the spirit of things, even if it might involve more calories.

silverfish

Post by silverfish » Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:12 pm

In situations like this, I just revert to medieval time-keeping and say Saturday begins at sundown on Friday (and Sunday ends at dark!).

JustAnnie

Post by JustAnnie » Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:09 am

The thing I like best about No-S is the flexibility and the feeling of not having to obsess about every little thing you put into your mouth. I'd call it a special "S" day, especially since it's only once a month.......and ENJOY!!
Just Annie

You Can't Fail Until You Quit Trying

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:23 pm

For me the weekend starts on Friday night - ready for the weekend and ends as dinner starts on Sunday (ready for the week ahead). When I stick to this I have very little problem making the plan work.
Hugs from Sunny South Africa
Vanilla No S with no Sugar due to Health issues - 11 yrs No S - September 2016 (some good, some bad (my own doing) but always the right thing for me!)

Too solid flesh

Any suggestions?

Post by Too solid flesh » Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:58 pm

I also have my weekendS from Friday evening to Sunday evening. I'm strict about not letting the S-ieness of Friday evening creep forward into the afternoon, and so far it is working fine although it may be necessary to be stricter when closer to one's ideal weight.

Enjoy the half-dessert if you decide to have it!

want2bhealthy

hi

Post by want2bhealthy » Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:57 pm

hey tht what did you wind up doing ?, and do you continue to that at the special once a month dinner? i would have just called it a special day, especially if that is the only no s you had the whole day.
man, i have tried EVERYTHING else, this has to be my last stop.
starting fresh july 1-09
wt 207

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:23 am

Since posting my reply on this topic, I have done more reading of the boards (still trying to catch up) and thinking. Basically I have realised that my moving S days from friday night to late sunday is looking for trouble and me just 'mucking things up again".

So I am going to stick to plain No S and not tweak it and cause myself unnecessary problems
Hugs from Sunny South Africa
Vanilla No S with no Sugar due to Health issues - 11 yrs No S - September 2016 (some good, some bad (my own doing) but always the right thing for me!)