Feeling like Sisyphus

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

hexagon

Feeling like Sisyphus

Post by hexagon » Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:35 am

Hi,

I'm feeling a bit like Sisyphus, the guy from Greek mythology who was condemned to roll a huge rock up a hill forever; it would always escape him and roll back down to the bottom, so he'd have to do it again. And again. And again.

I guess with No S, as with almost any weight loss I've attempted, I just backslide. I can't seem to budge permanently from where I'm at, which is 145-150 pounds. I've been like this since high school (I'm 30 now). Ok, maybe I shouldn't whine too much; I guess most people can't claim to still have their high school weight, and a lot of people I knew from high school have become really fat now...I can't help it, though. I'm really ticked. For once I'd like to be around 125, a healthy weight for my height (~5' 2"). It shouldn't be so bloody hard to chuck off 20-25 measly pounds, should it?

It just seems like something always happens to screw me up. With No S, I was doing great for a month, and then I moved across the country for a new job and everything got disconbobulated for about a month, during which I gained back most of what I'd lost the previous month. Then I got back on track, lost the weight again, and then there were the holidays. I unfortunately gained a bit during the holidays (unlike everybody else who posts here with holiday successes, I guess I just suck), but I figured I'd work that off. Then I got a cold that made me feel really, really tired. That went away but it was quickly followed with a full blown flu-ish thing including muscle aches, fever, super-sore throat, yadda yadda yadda. That will mean it will have been almost 3 weeks of me not *really* being with the program; I both haven't felt well enough to exercise regularly, and I'm too tired to prepare super-healthy meals like I normally do. I have a tendency if I'm sick (unless it is gastrointestinal) to nibble on extra stuff if I'm at home, which is lame. I think it is for comfort. It definitely isn't for hunger. Now that I've realized this I've decided to stop indulging myself, but I'm mad because the damage has already been done. I guess I'll just be ready for the future. I guess.

As long as I've got my normal routine going, I'm fine, but when something comes along that screws me up (new job, illness, holidays, business travel) I either don't get enough exercise or I don't eat quite right (even if I technically fit the one-plate rule). How do you guys adjust yourselves so that you're not all thrown off-kilter? I mean, okay, I guess I excuse myself for not exercising so much when I'm sick because fevers and muscle aches aren't exactly conducive to physical activity...I've been so incredibly tired that when I get home I just want to sleep and not stir-fry vegetables....

I feel so frustrated because I have so little wiggle room. It seems like a lot of people happily post here that they can just drop umpteen pounds in two weeks and that it didn't even take much effort. I feel like if anything throws me slightly off I don't lose, and most likely I'll gain. The standard advice of "get more fruits and vegetables in your diet" or "walk!" doesn't really help because I was already doing those things even before I started No S. I've never been a vegetable-hating sedentary type. About the most I've ever been able to lose on average per week is 2 pounds, and usually more like 1 pound. What it takes for me to lose weight is to carefully control my portions and to get vigorous exercise 5-6 days a week.

I don't know where this posting is going but I guess I'm just ranting. I'm just angry. I'm angry at myself. I'm angry at my body. I'm sick, sick, sick, sick of never being able to do something so easy. No S seems to be reasonable but I feel like I'm just going to fail at it like I've done with every other diet. I'm so freaking tired of getting some apparently false hope with progress and backsliding to the same damn place.

For once in my life I'd like to look at my body and be happy with it. I'd like to be able to go to a store and not worry if something will show my gut. Simple stuff. I think the last time in my life that I didn't worry about my body, I was 8 years old.

Well, I just took my last set of painkillers for the day and I'm going to bed now. It's 8:30 pm but I feel so freaking tired. Boy is this virus nasty.

--H

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:00 am

Hexagon,

I really understand where you're coming from. I could have written the part myself about staying the same weight since high school when you've constantly been trying to *lose* it. For me, I effortlessly stayed at 120 lbs but always strived for lower. Finally mid-high school I lost control and gained up to 140ish lbs (I'm also 5'2). Only within the last year have I been able to take my weight down to 135ish lbs and let me tell you, that is a HUGE accomplishment for me to take off 5 lbs permanently. HUGE. I don't feel like I'm eating differently than when I was 140 though. I think the only thing I do much less of is binge. I still eat quite a bit and never touch diet foods. I admire you for being able to stick to No S for one month straight - I never made it to 21 days. I've been able to do it for one week straight and that was right before Christmas, oddly enough. Take tonight, for example, I wrote on my check-in how the day went well but I usually screw up at night. And what did I do? I just had orange juice, some almonds, tortilla chips and banana chips. I was thinking as I was eating that I'm just a lost cause. I will never get anywhere because I simply don't put forth the effort - eating just feels good to me. And with that thought, how can I make things any different for myself?

I'm sorry I've turned this into my own pity party. The main thing I want to say is I totally, completely understand your misery. I am there and have been for a loong time.

I sometimes think No S just isn't for me, but I always come back. SO there is something to it. It's an amazing plan....but I can't stick to anything. Ever. I do think I will try and keep trying though, because I've had some success in that even when I half-essed it, I made progress. Maybe I will bend the rules, because for me I haven't found it necessary to follow every letter of the law. I can have a sweet or put chocolate on my oatmeal or have a snack even and I'm fine - I will lose weight. My problem is thinking I have to be perfect, whereas the problem is binging, so any improvement makes a difference.

Hope you feel better tomorrow :)

NoelFigart

Re: Feeling like Sisyphus

Post by NoelFigart » Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:27 am

hexagon wrote:Hi,

For once I'd like to be around 125, a healthy weight for my height (~5' 2"). It shouldn't be so bloody hard to chuck off 20-25 measly pounds, should it?

--H
I am afraid we short women often have a harder time of it.

I have to work very, very hard to take off weight.

For me, I find that putting on muscle combined with sensible eating does it. My version of No S is a little harder core than just "no sugar" on No S days. I rarely eat bread or potatoes or stuff like that, and keep it mostly to meat, vegetables and fruit on No S days. It works better for me. I took off 30 pounds in the first four months (I had knee surgery after that, but I've been able to keep my weight stable -- no gains. That's good since I cannot do much in the way of exercise right now).

Shovelglove is not the only strength workout I do. I'm a rather avid strength trainer. I found out about Shovelglove from Krista Scott-Dixon's site http://www.stumptuous.com. I really do think putting on muscle is a big help in taking off weight and being strong enough to sustain the cardio needed to take off fat. Thing is, I do think Shovelglove is a fine strength training system!

Keep in mind that Reinhard's excellent physique is at least in part from walking 90 minutes a day. That's a LOT of cardio -- more than is usually recommended. I think we shorter women have to do stuff like that to take the weight off.

pangelsue

Post by pangelsue » Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:48 pm

Hi Hex,
I think there are many of us who identify with your post. I initially lost 5 pounds on No S and haven't lost anything since. I have been posting here for a year. You will notice I said "posting on No S" not "on No S for a year". I recently found a site on line for a diet called the "Reasonable diet". It costs a fortune so I won't be doing it but the description of the diet on the web site is "the-diet-for-people-who-know-what-to-do-but-just-can't-sem-to-make-themselves-do-it." That immediately rang a bell in my head. I have umpteen reasons to lose weight, some of them medical and yet.....I just can't seem to make myself do it. This gal in her pod casts says, ask yourself everyday, what am I willing to do today to make this work. I am daily surprised by how little I am really willing to do. Just about anything is more important, whether it is food or how I spend my time. So, unfortunately, I am starting this year at a new point. I am done being angry at myself. That just makes me feel lousy. I am daily accepting who I am and where I am at. I am trying to praise every single positive decision I make and I am trying to let the back sliding go. I am hoping it will have the positive affect of ending the "who cares anyway binging" and help me to s-l-o-w-l-y build on the successes. The goal for a while is not going to be weight loss. It is going to be to stop hating myself so much for "being weak, stupid, lazy" or any of the other names I describe myself with. I'm hoping I'll get there and maybe I won't but I don't want to spend the rest of my life hating myself.
Good luck to you but whatever you do, like yourself. You are the only you there is.
A lot of growing up happens between "it fell" and "I dropped it."

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:51 pm

I am afraid we short women often have a harder time of it.
Yup, so true! I am 5'1" and middle-aged besides. What little excess weight I have will absolutely not budge, at least, not without a massive increase in exercise, which I don't have time for right now and couldn't sustain permanently anyway.

I am trying my best each day with both no-s for diet and getting some exercise. No-s is making maintenance pretty easy, that's for sure. And the exercise I do, while not enough to take off any pounds, is at least keeping me fit and flexible.

Just don't give up, okay? Sometimes it takes many starts and stops and re-starts over a long period of time to actually get something to stick.

mschalock

Post by mschalock » Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:27 pm

I'm 5'1". I'm also 54 years old. Combine those two together and you have a recipe for difficult weight loss/maintenance. On NoS I lost about 10 pounds that I gained when my husband was in Iraq last year. That was mostly because he doesn't snack, so I toned it way down too. Now NoS is helping me stay about the same (a little above where I'd like to be.) I think I need to follow the advice given in the earlier post above and do some shovelgloving. That's easy to say and hard to get myself to do.
Monica in Oregon

zoolina

Post by zoolina » Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:31 pm

Hexgon,

A few weeks ago you posted about how you had been losing about a pound a week, and I was totally jealous. You HAVE had sucess here, and don't be fooled by a few rosy post holiday postings-- I think most of us are pleased to just gain a couple of pounds in the months between Thanksgiving and New Years.

I'm sorry you feel lousy and that No-Sing is difficult for you now that you're sick, but you have to know that you are an inspiration to me (your string of "sucess" days was amazing!). Keep at it.

I've lost a total of two pounds in two months, Not a lot, but If I keep that up I'll reach my goal in a year and a half. Sounds like a long time, but heck, I've been dieting for the last 25 years. Talk about Sisiphus!

On the lighter side, think about how much exercise old sisiphus got :lol: Ok, not so funny. But hang in there, hexagon. I KNOW you can reach your goal.

Zoolina

zoolina

Post by zoolina » Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:32 pm

Hexgon,

A few weeks ago you posted about how you had been losing about a pound a week, and I was totally jealous. You HAVE had sucess here, and don't be fooled by a few rosy post holiday postings-- I think most of us are pleased to just gain a couple of pounds in the months between Thanksgiving and New Years.

I'm sorry you feel lousy and that No-Sing is difficult for you now that you're sick, but you have to know that you are an inspiration to me (your string of "sucess" days was amazing!). Keep at it.

I've lost a total of two pounds in two months, Not a lot, but If I keep that up I'll reach my goal in a year and a half. Sounds like a long time, but heck, I've been dieting for the last 25 years. Talk about Sisiphus!

On the lighter side, think about how much exercise old sisiphus got :lol: Ok, not so funny. But hang in there, hexagon. I KNOW you can reach your goal.

Zoolina

hexagon

Post by hexagon » Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:12 pm

Hi everybody,

Finally I didn't have to take painkillers today, and can pretty much swallow normally. I also had enough energy to do a ton of cooking so I'll have home-cooked food to eat throughout the week. Hopefully I'll be back on the routine.

It's good to see that I'm not the only shorty who finds it tough. I guess I would just get so ticked sometimes, because usually my lifestyle, even when I'm not pushing for weight loss would be considered by most standards to be very healthy (emotional binges aside). Every work day (which is often 6 days a week, not 5) I'll get in SOME exercise, because walking is a part of my day. My "normal" mode (that is, non weight-loss) lifestyle would probably cause most of the overweight people I know to drop a lot of weight. (Then again, a lot of the overweight people I know eat horrible crap every day and don't move. My lifestyle would be a big change for them.)

I guess it makes me angry sometimes that I can't go along at a "normal" pace and lose weight. For my body, I have to re-define what "normal" is (that is, "normal" if I want to maintain a lower weight). Just walking isn't enough exercise for me, even if it would be a big deal for my overweight friends and family. Just following a one-plate rule isn't enough.

Thanks for the comments on fitness...I'm pretty much the same when it comes to weight loss...I've always found that I do better with strength-training and VIGOROUS activity, whether it be playing soccer, swimming, jumping on a cardio machine. My heart has to get racing and I have to sweat (yeah, I've done this when I walk really fast sometimes, but it isn't quite the same). As for eating, I do much better when I'm eating my own home-cooked food; I control the amount and what goes into it.

Unfortunately, as we all know, exercise and cooking take time and effort!

I guess I just have to accept that this is the way my body is and that I just have to act accordingly. I have to accept that it will take more work for me to lose weight than it might for a guy, or a tall woman. I don't particularly like this, but such is life.

I also have to accept that just because my life is disrupted in some way, I have to learn to adapt and make healthy eating / exercise a part of my life no matter what. I mean, when I'm sick I still take a shower every day; I wouldn't think of going without one. My eating habits should be the same way, like tooth-brushing (as somebody else already said).

Sigh. Nothing worthwhile in life is free, and some of us have to pay more than others. Phooey!

Well, I guess I've got to be grateful what I've got already, even if I do have a body that has to be firmly forced into losing weight. A good job, a good family, food and shelter...and, amongst other things, support from this No S community.

Best, H

P.S. Zoolina, I liked your comment about Sisyphus....Yeah, he probably was really fit. I don't think I'd trade places with him though.

hexagon

Post by hexagon » Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:13 pm

Hi everybody,

Finally I didn't have to take painkillers today, and can pretty much swallow normally. I also had enough energy to do a ton of cooking so I'll have home-cooked food to eat throughout the week. Hopefully I'll be back on the routine.

It's good to see that I'm not the only shorty who finds it tough. I guess I would just get so ticked sometimes, because usually my lifestyle, even when I'm not pushing for weight loss would be considered by most standards to be very healthy (emotional binges aside). Every work day (which is often 6 days a week, not 5) I'll get in SOME exercise, because walking is a part of my day. My "normal" mode (that is, non weight-loss) lifestyle would probably cause most of the overweight people I know to drop a lot of weight. (Then again, a lot of the overweight people I know eat horrible crap every day and don't move. My lifestyle would be a big change for them.)

I guess it makes me angry sometimes that I can't go along at a "normal" pace and lose weight. For my body, I have to re-define what "normal" is (that is, "normal" if I want to maintain a lower weight). Just walking isn't enough exercise for me, even if it would be a big deal for my overweight friends and family. Just following a one-plate rule isn't enough.

Thanks for the comments on fitness...I'm pretty much the same when it comes to weight loss...I've always found that I do better with strength-training and VIGOROUS activity, whether it be playing soccer, swimming, jumping on a cardio machine. My heart has to get racing and I have to sweat (yeah, I've done this when I walk really fast sometimes, but it isn't quite the same). As for eating, I do much better when I'm eating my own home-cooked food; I control the amount and what goes into it.

Unfortunately, as we all know, exercise and cooking take time and effort!

I guess I just have to accept that this is the way my body is and that I just have to act accordingly. I have to accept that it will take more work for me to lose weight than it might for a guy, or a tall woman. I don't particularly like this, but such is life.

I also have to accept that just because my life is disrupted in some way, I have to learn to adapt and make healthy eating / exercise a part of my life no matter what. I mean, when I'm sick I still take a shower every day; I wouldn't think of going without one. My eating habits should be the same way, like tooth-brushing (as somebody else already said).

Sigh. Nothing worthwhile in life is free, and some of us have to pay more than others. Phooey!

Well, I guess I've got to be grateful what I've got already, even if I do have a body that has to be firmly forced into losing weight. A good job, a good family, food and shelter...and, amongst other things, support from this No S community.

Best, H

P.S. Zoolina, I liked your comment about Sisyphus....Yeah, he probably was really fit. I don't think I'd trade places with him though.

Michele

Post by Michele » Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:33 am

Hi Hexigon,

I know what you are going through having to move really messes up your routine. I have had to live out a suitcase since last May. It seams I was moving around constantly, then I went out to the East coast for some intensive training, and let me tell you if you've ever been to a Friendly's resturaunt, usually found in Massachusettes, and wonderful. you can't leave without a "Happy Ending" meaning ice-cream. So I am finally getting settled after moving around all summer, so you can imagine how screwed up I am!
I am starting over again on No S I think for the 4th time. I am frustrated too. I caught a glimpse of myself in a full length mirror last month, I could have died. I hate the way I look and feel, I am tired of being out of breath, and being careful of what I wear out in public.
So take courage, were all in this together.

Good luck and get better soon.
Michele

Michele

Post by Michele » Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:33 am

Hi Hexigon,

I know what you are going through having to move really messes up your routine. I have had to live out a suitcase since last May. It seams I was moving around constantly, then I went out to the East coast for some intensive training, and let me tell you if you've ever been to a Friendly's resturaunt, usually found in Massachusettes, and wonderful. you can't leave without a "Happy Ending" meaning ice-cream. So I am finally getting settled after moving around all summer, so you can imagine how screwed up I am!
I am starting over again on No S I think for the 4th time. I am frustrated too. I caught a glimpse of myself in a full length mirror last month, I could have died. I hate the way I look and feel, I am tired of being out of breath, and being careful of what I wear out in public.

Michele

Michele

Post by Michele » Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:34 am

Hi Hexigon,

Michele

Michele

Post by Michele » Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:34 am

:D
Last edited by Michele on Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Michele

Post by Michele » Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:35 am

Last edited by Michele on Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kevin

Chin up Hexagon

Post by Kevin » Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:59 am

If you aren't doing this already, can I suggest a 20 minute walk a day? I'm not being flip: that little bit of exercise can tip you towards success, and nothing breeds success like success!

Walking is the very best weight loss exercise, in my opinion.

Give it another shot. And if you fail, give it another shot again. Everyone falls down. Getting up is where you prove what you're made of.
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

hexagon

Post by hexagon » Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:15 pm

Thanks for the advice. Actually, the absolute bare MINIMUM I do is 20 minutes of walking a day (it's actually incorporated into my daily routines of activities like walking to the bus). That's my issue--standard advice like this doesn't seem to work for me because I'm not starting from ground zero. My routine life would probably cause a lot of people to drop weight, but I seem to have to do more work to get any real results.

In case you might ask this, yes, I am watching my food intake/portion sizing etc.

Kevin

So, this might not make you feel better...

Post by Kevin » Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:47 pm

But if you hadn't done NoS at all, how much more would you weigh?

Clearly, this is a lot harder for some people than it is for others - and that is disheartening. But all you can do are the things you can do!

I would encourage you to keep at it. Maintenance is a lot better than weight gain, no?
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:30 pm

I can certainly identify with you. I'm not short, I'm 5'8 but I weigh about 100lbs more than you yet. I stick at one set weight for a long time, then lose a couple, sit there, lose a couple more... It's just as hard I think for tall women too.
I don't have a lot of time to do exercise, being a Sahm to a 2 yr old and a 4 mo old, I'm constantly helping them, with little time for myself. But if I can get on top of the food, it's a start.

Can you get some microwave meals, like healthy choice? to help you on the days that you don't feel like cooking? At least there would be good portions and such (not a bad idea! Think I'll get some for myself!)

Sorry you've been sick and such. Flu sucks!

joasia

Post by joasia » Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:17 pm

The only people who lose quickly, usually, are people that have A LOT to lose. I lost 12 pounds in one month, but I have 100 pounds to lose. You only have 25 to 30. The closer you get to your goal the slower it comes off. I have been within 40 pounds of my goal and I slowed to losing 1 pound a week or less! It sucks I know. I wish I could give you an answer. But 1 pound less a week is better than 1 pound more. Weight loss takes the patience of an angel.
The destiny of nations depends on the manner in which they feed themselves. Jean-Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:46 pm

Hexagon,

Most weight loss -- and almost all sustainable weight loss -- is very, very slow. I think half a pound a week, is what I read somewhere (Mindful Eating, I think). This is such a small amount that it's impossible to detect on a granularity of days, difficult on a granularity of weeks, and it's even within the normal margin of error of a household scale for a month or two.

That's why I think it's so important to focus on behavior rather than pounds. If you behave, if you eat less and move more, chances are very, very high that over time you will lose weight. As kevin pointed out, most first worlders today are gaining weight, so even if no-s stopped your gain in it's tracks, that's something, that's a start. Keep behaving and be patient, there's probably more to come.

What you mention about being thrown off kilter and giving up your good habits -- that's precisely the problem. It's tricky and personal and hard, but I think the basic formula is:

1) identify good relatively unobtrusive habits

2) build these habits by clockwork regularity. Routine doesn't just build
good habits, it grounds your whole life so that shocks like getting sick or moving or getting a new job don't make you lose your footing completely. Tolerate failure -- bounce right back -- but not excuses.

3) be patient. yes, you might have to tweak your habits now and then, but no good behavior works without time so you have to give it that.

Reinhard

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:51 pm

This has been a really helpful thread. I too have been feeling like Sisyphus - losing the same 2 pounds over and over. That's been going on since early December, even though I've been quite good about No-S. I've accepted that this diet has a certain two-steps-forward-one-back rhythm to it, but two-steps-and-two-steps-to-stay-the-same kind of stinks.

As I read this thread, I realized I reached a standstill about the time my exercise routine went to hell in a handbasket.

Ohhhh..... ::the light dawns::

At least the "normal range" is lower than it used to be. And I didn't gain during the holidays despite not really exercising - just a short "spike" that dropped back to the New Normal quickly.

Speaking of the New Normal Range... it's funny - three months ago I never thought I'd see under 140 again. And now it's my "high side" weight, and I'm totally impatient with it! Funny how perspectives change.

So, okay, back to putting the shards of my exercise routine back together now that the excuse-filled holidays are over.

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Sun May 18, 2008 5:06 pm

As a short woman, 5'0" I too, liked this thread.
I share many of the feelings described as well.

To Reinhard.. By the way,
This thread has some good thoughts, but I hesitated to bring it forward because
some of the people (or the system) made some errors of double posting...
I was wondering what your system is for this.
I see that we have the ability to remove our own posts.
As the creator, can you remove double posts, if the original person either wasn't able to or forgot to?
Or should we just ignore those problems and move on?
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com