Newbie question: what counts as a sugary drink?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

florafloraflora

Newbie question: what counts as a sugary drink?

Post by florafloraflora » Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:51 am

I'm having trouble deciding which drinks are sugary drinks and therefore off-limits during N days. I don't drink soda, but I was shocked to realize yesterday that the drinkable yogurts I love have 42 grams of sugar per bottle, ten grams more than a can of soda. No wonder I love them! I had been using half a container of it at a time, with frozen blueberries and a little protein powder (a habit left over from the Zone Diet) for smoothies, and that seemed okay, but yesterday I had a full container with my lunch, and that felt like cheating.

Also yesterday I had a juice with dinner, and then I checked the nutritional listings and found that the bottle had 32 grams of sugar in it, although I don't know how much of that is added sugar. Again, I felt like I'd cheated.

On the other hand, some of the 100% juices can be awfully sweet (because of the sweetness of white grape juice, and because technically I think juice producers are allowed to add some sugar "to replace what's lost in processing" and still call it 100% juice). And I know 100% juice is allowed here.

I don't know whether to call yesterday a failure or a success.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:10 pm

I saw your check-in, and I would call it a success.

The point of yogurt is not the sugar; it's a food, with protein and calcium. Go ahead and enjoy it. But be warned, that as you wean yourself away from added sugar (which is the no-s rule), you're going to become more sensitive to sweetness, and it may not be so tasty after a while. Give it time. My experience is that when you stop using your sweet tooth, the tooth fairy will come and take it away. Fruit and juices are just about the only "sugary" foods I can stand these days.

As for the juices, look at the ingredients label. If there is sugar added to the juice, then it has to be listed. If not, then don't worry about it, because the sugar on the nutritional list is just the natural sugar that is in any fruit. Canned, frozen, fresh, or juiced: fruit is full of sugar. It's okay. Enjoy! Just stay away from "juice drinks" which are mostly sugar, with flavor and color added. Stick with 100% juice and you'll be just fine. One or two glasses a day will give you lots of vitamin C and good taste.

Hope this helps.

Kevin

Very nice, Jan

Post by Kevin » Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:17 pm

My experience is that when you stop using your sweet tooth, the tooth fairy will come and take it away.

That was so nicely put...
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

florafloraflora

Post by florafloraflora » Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:29 pm

Thanks, Jan! I know what you mean about losing the sweet tooth. I still have a weakness for some sweets, but most candy bars taste too sweet to me and so do sodas.

When I followed the Zone Diet really strictly, I really noticed that I lost my taste for sugar. I felt good when I ate that way, but it was just too much work to keep track of the nutrients in everything and make each meal perfectly balanced. So I'm hoping I'll get the same sort of effect from No S.

I still have a craving for something fruity and sweet at the end of a meal. I'll just have to refocus that craving onto canned pineapple or applesauce or actual fresh fruit. Basically, I need to make more of an effort to keep fruit and vegetables on hand.

I noticed that we're both in DC! Don't you just love the walking opportunities that come from living in a city?

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:42 pm

Most of my walking comes from walking around campus. The rest of the neighborhood is one big slum.

Following No-S will be much easier than trying to stay in the Zone, I think.

JustAnnie

Post by JustAnnie » Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:38 am

There is an alternative to juice now. Some women feel that drinking cranberry juice is healthy for them and I subscribe to that. Ocean Spray and even Walmart have "Light" juices now. They cut out a lot of the sugar and calories but still give you mega doses of Vitamin C plus some of the juice you want for health. And yes, they do have Splenda in them and yes I know a lot of you don't like artificial sweetners but I do use Splenda and feel it is the healthiest of the non-sugar sweetners. And at 40 calories and only 9 grams of sugar per 8 oz serving, I think they are worth checking out.
Just Annie

You Can't Fail Until You Quit Trying

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:45 pm

Here in DC we are able to find Northland brand Cranberry juice. It's all juice with no added sugars.

swaits

Post by swaits » Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:07 am

JustAnnie wrote:And yes, they do have Splenda in them and yes I know a lot of you don't like artificial sweetners but I do use Splenda and feel it is the healthiest of the non-sugar sweetners.
Splend's just as bad as the rest of them. Stevia is a much better alternative, but has a certain taste. There is no free lunch.

--Steve