No S and Alcohol

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

NoelFigart

No S and Alcohol

Post by NoelFigart » Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:12 pm

I enjoy a drink in the evenings from time to time, and was wondering if anyone else breaks alcoholic drinks into S or NoS drinks? I do.

For me, my NoS drinks: Any hard liquor mixed with a diet soda or similar mixer. (Yes, I use artificial sweetners), a martini, any hard liquor "on the rocks", white wine

My S drinks would be: Beer, red wines, blush wines, any drink containing sugar (obviously) or schnapps. (All hail the appletini!), creme drinks (Bailey's Irish Creme, ect.)

Or do other people save alcohol strictly for S days?

joasia

Post by joasia » Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:46 pm

I know Reinhard says to use the two drink rule. Never have more than two drinks on S or NoS days.
The destiny of nations depends on the manner in which they feed themselves. Jean-Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

Ray E.

Post by Ray E. » Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:15 pm

I stay with the two drink rule, but don't worry about whether I'm drinking a beer, glass of wine, or margarita. I doubt there is much damage you can do from two drinks, unless all you drink are of the fruity, mixed variety (daiquiris, margarita's, etc.). If this is the case, then make them S day drinks, IMO.

Ray

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:47 pm

I agree with Ray and milczar -- except that I usually limit myself to one drink with the exception of wine. Occasionally I'll have two small glasses of wine.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:06 pm

I do have S-drinks and N-drinks, but the decisive factor is sugar.

I love a mojito or Caipirinha, but only on S-days.

Otherwise, straight glass ceiling is all the governs my alcohol consumption.

(I'm German, so beer *has* to be OK)

Reinhard

Bee

Post by Bee » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:33 pm

Noel,
I am just curious, why do you have white wine as an OK N-day drink but red wine as an S-day only drink? Does red wine have more sugar or calories than white wine? I am just wondering because I too enjoy a glass of wine at the end of the day. I prefer red wine, but if white wine is more N-day-ish then I might opt for white more often. Although I always hear that red wine has all those antioxidants that I don't think white wine has quite as much of, but I could be wrong. Anyway, thanks!

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:11 pm

Bee wrote:Noel,
I am just curious, why do you have white wine as an OK N-day drink but red wine as an S-day only drink? Does red wine have more sugar or calories than white wine? I am just wondering because I too enjoy a glass of wine at the end of the day. I prefer red wine, but if white wine is more N-day-ish then I might opt for white more often. Although I always hear that red wine has all those antioxidants that I don't think white wine has quite as much of, but I could be wrong. Anyway, thanks!

Red and blush wines have slightly more sugar.

That being said, if you're classing pasta, bread and potatoes as perfectly fine for an N day (which, according to the proper No S diet, it is), I would NOT bother to make the distinction.

I ate a ketogenic diet for a long time. I'm trying strict NoS and not combining it with low carb to see how I do.

I was actually more concerned with something like an appletini, though in looking up the nutrition information, I note that my usual recipe for one has no more sugar in it than a glass of white wine.

*weeps* I'd been denying myself all that time for nothing!

Good. Appletini is my favorite "writin' drink".

Kevin

red or white...

Post by Kevin » Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:07 am

Bee, if you are worrying about the difference between red and white wine, you're thinking too hard. That's not in the spirit of No-S. =0)
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

Bee

Post by Bee » Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:30 am

I see what you mean Kevin and you can be sure I'm not about to give up red wine! That is what I like about No-S. No Sacrificing! I was just curious though because I'm kind of in agreement with Noel and Reinhard that a very sugary alcoholic beverage like a mojito would be kind of more of an S-day treat for me while a glass of wine at the end of the day is more like basic sustenence! But I since Noel made the distinction between red and white I thought maybe I was missing something...beverages can sometimes be deceiving... Sounds like it is just a classification that works for you and there is not a giant difference.

Glad you got your appletinis back, Noel!