Sweets

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Johnny Quick

Sweets

Post by Johnny Quick » Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:14 am

Hi!

I know we are only supposed to have sweets on S days. But shouldn't we limit our sweets' volume on these days?

I realize that the lack of sweets during N days should make you cloyed when you indulge on S days. But I'm concerned I might be eating too many calories by having a full plate plus sweets.

What if I limit them to a portion of my plate during each of my 3 full plate meals during S days? Or, if I want to, have meals of most or all sweets, as long as they are within the plate per meal limit. What do you think?

Thanks!

florafloraflora

Post by florafloraflora » Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:09 pm

I'm not an expert and I'm sure we'll be hearing from some experts in this thread, but as I understood it we were supposed to take a break from thinking too much about our food on S-days, so that we can concentrate better on N-days. If you eat too much on S-days or too many of the wrong things, the contrast with the way you feel (good) on N-days will gradually lead you to go less crazy on S-days.

NoelFigart

Re: Sweets

Post by NoelFigart » Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:27 pm

Johnny Quick wrote:What if I limit them to a portion of my plate during each of my 3 full plate meals during S days? Or, if I want to, have meals of most or all sweets, as long as they are within the plate per meal limit. What do you think?
If you check out http://noelfigart.livejournal.com/tag/fitness, my own fitness blog, you'll sometimes come across the expression "Rule One". Rule One is "Don't be foolish"... well, okay, I phrase it a lot more bluntly than that.[1]

Remember the qualifier "sometimes" in the rules of the diet. It is within the rules of the diet to snack and have sweets on weekends and "special" days. It is also okay not to have them, but don't make a hard and fast rule that's too hard. If you pig out on the occasional weekend day, you haven't "cheated", and it's probably a bad idea to create more rules to set up more opportunity to cheat.

I actually used to be a diet counselor for a diet that was very strict. (Women ate ~900 calories a day during the weight loss phase. NOT HEALTHY). The stricter you are, the more likely you are to get freaked and CHEAT BIG.

The whole point of No S (at least it seems to me) is to back off, calm down and be moderate about it. You don't have to create more rules.

[1] What I actually say is "don't be a <very bad word beginning with F>ing idiot."
Last edited by NoelFigart on Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ray E.

Post by Ray E. » Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:49 pm

I think this will become less of a problem as you're time on NoS continues. What I mean by this, using me as an example of one, is the more time you spend not eating sweets and snacks, the less you will crave them. I've been doing this successfully (no failures) since right before Thanksgiving and have found my craving for ice cream (my favorite food) has diminished pretty sharply. Some weekends go by where I realize on Monday that I didn't have a bowl of ice cream; I simply forgot about it.

This is a long winded way of writing that, in the long term, it probably doesn't matter what you eat on the weekends if you're 100% by the book Monday-Friday. This is my opinion for whatever it's worth.

Ray

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:10 pm

Johnny,

I would wait and see if this is actually a problem for you instead of launching a preemptive strike. My guess is that it will not be. Overburdening oneself with restrictions is the top reason people fail to stick with diets for any length of time. It's a far bigger problem than a few extra calories on weekends.

Reinhard