Some observations

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

NoelFigart

Some observations

Post by NoelFigart » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:05 pm

I started this No S thing because I was bored with low carb, but wanted some structure to my meals so I would not go back to any eating pattern that would cause me to gain back what I lost. I figured if nothing else, following the letter of the law would not permit me to overeat.

I am amazed at how true that's turned out to be. I know Reinhard's idea is to keep one from obsessing, and that calorie counting isn't part of the bargain, but since I had Fitday software, anyway, and my usual portions and stuff loaded into it, I decided I'd run my usual day through a nutritional analysis.

I average 1750 calories a day. That's about right for me to lose weight comfortably if I work out (and I do).

Other than controlling the portion to one plate of food (and I confess I loaded it tonight because I really wanted to have an apple with my veggie/cheese omelette and toast), and not eating sweets, I'm eating what I want contentedly.

The one thing I do notice is that I am still flipping hungry by mealtimes.

But the portion control of one plate? It really works. I don't eat a "nouvelle cuisine" plate. I eat a normal 10" plate of a meal.

I'm forcing myself not to plan to be "good" this weekend, particularly. But I've not decided on a treat that's good enough, either. I think to do the diet properly, I should at least have a good chocolate truffle!

mondurvic

Mealtimes

Post by mondurvic » Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:04 am

I am also hungry by mealtimes, but I welcome it - because it's mealtime! I enjoy my food much more when I'm actually hungry.

Judy

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:07 am

I don't mean "hungry so it tastes good". I mean "hungry, and I don't care if it's fried rat as long as it's calories."

mondurvic

Hungry

Post by mondurvic » Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:15 am

How many hours between meals? At what point are you "just right" pre-rat hungry?

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:58 am

About four and a half hours.

Since I eat at seven, noon and between six and seven, you can see where that's an issue.

It doesn't override my willpower, so I do wonder if it's merely retraining my appetite. I don't get hungry after dinner, though I do wonder if my usual "nightcap" fills in for a bedtime snack.

mondurvic

Post by mondurvic » Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:43 am

6 - 7 hours between lunch and dinner is a long wait. I'd be eating rats, too - lots of 'em.

joasia

Post by joasia » Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:12 pm

1750 is REALLY few calories for an active male. That is probably why you are starving. Maybe try 2000 or 2300.
The destiny of nations depends on the manner in which they feed themselves. Jean-Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:18 am

milczar wrote:1750 is REALLY few calories for an active male. That is probably why you are starving. Maybe try 2000 or 2300.

Ahhh, I see the mistake.

I'm a woman -- a short woman, in fact. Yes, I know I have a boy's name.

kccc

Post by kccc » Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:28 am

Lol! Thought you were a guy too, but one who could cook (from your crockpot recipes -thanks, btw!)

How long have you been doing No-S? Took me a while to be okay with the 3 meals routine, b/c I was used to regular snacks. REALLY used to snacks. Had to wean off of them. So, if it hasn't been 21 days, hold out and see how it goes.

If it's really unmanageble after that time, you could try dividing into 4 meals and dropping to 8" plates. ;) Or check the "managing hunger" thread for other ideas.

Good luck!

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:38 pm

NoelFigart,

Thanks for performing that interesting bit of data gathering!

I love it when my hunches get quantified...

I do think habit will tone down the hunger between meals. If it gets too bad, consider a forth mini meal (don't call it a snack!), but I think habit alone will do the trick if you can tough it out long enough.

Reinhard

Ray E.

Post by Ray E. » Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:59 pm

I agree with Reinhard on this. My appetite between meals isn't really an issue any longer. It's probably a combination of better meals and not training my body to expect a between meal snack. We've been brainwashed for so long that if we don't eat something every 2-3 hours, our bodies may waste away.

You'll find once you make it through the first 21 days successfully, your between meal cravings will all but go away. Just my opinion.

Ray

Too solid flesh

Some observations

Post by Too solid flesh » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:53 pm

I have been lurking and NoS-ing for over ten months, and although I have lost a good deal of weight (40lbs plus) I do get very hungry in the late afternoons on N days.

My way of coping with it is to reclassify fruit and cottage cheese as non-foods. Eating a small amount of fruit and cottage cheese gets me through the most difficult part of the day, when I'm cooking the family meal when hungry. This probably means that I am losing weight more slowly, but at least I don't binge while cooking.

Good luck, and it does get easier after the first three weeks.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:50 pm

Too solid Flesh,

Wow! 40 pounds!

That's testimonials-worthy. Mind if I quote you there? (feel free to elaborate, here or in another thread, and I'll quote that).

You didn't by any chance email me privately a few weeks ago, did you?

Reinhard

Too solid flesh

Some observations

Post by Too solid flesh » Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:06 pm

Thank you, Reinhard! All credit to your marvellous ideas.

Yes, I did email you, and will post more but need to take a run up to it. I would be delighted to be a well-deserved testimonial.