Greetings! New! Excited! Have to eat out 2x's/day:0! Advice!

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

RS393

Greetings! New! Excited! Have to eat out 2x's/day:0! Advice!

Post by RS393 » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:29 pm

I just found this site today. Horray - i am happy and excited and curious. I have tried many diets. MANY! I am gullible- even though i am pretty smart (imo) :) I didnt want to be "one of those people" who said "i treid them all and nothing works" but the past year has been terrible terrible and i have taken a toll on myself. I know i deserve better. This may be it for me- i cant be sure- and if it does work- you will hear from me! I have done the low carb thing on and off since 2001ish, and until this past year- maintained in the 130 # range. I am now in the horrid 150-60# range. I feel horrible. I hope this is going to "help" me. I know there is no quick fix. But, after recently being obsessive w/ "Points" counting, "calorie" counting- and basically feeling screwed by everything and blaming everyone- (grandmother who is a nutritionist initally taught me to eat "1200 calories", other grandmother who swore by "richard simmons".... mother who eats "healthy" had 5 kids, and still is skinny and attractive!!, dad who doesnt trust anyone or any diet, husband who tries everything and every diet i put him on (what a sweetie!!) despite being a normal weight (but he doesnt eat very "good").

Some more background-
Bottom line- I eat out- 2-3 times day. That means i am limited on choice. and have a hard time dealing w/ portions... and am sick of the "6" veggie delight" at subway (i enjoy it- but it always leaves me feeling more hungry then before i ate it).. So- FF has definately contributed to my weight gain.

I dont generally have trouble loseing weight, never had, but i gain it back just as quickly- so I need something i can stick with.

My question is- How should i measure a "plate" at most FF places? Knowing me- I will say "oh, i can have a #7, b/c it theoretically "could" fit on a plate...

(please dont tell me how "bad" FF is- i do know it is- i just need tips on how to do this if (on a really bad day) i end up eating out 3x's. some FF, some diner-ish/pizzaish...)

So -- help!!

THANKS!! :)
Last edited by RS393 on Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

mondurvic

Eating out

Post by mondurvic » Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:02 am

I eat out twice a day, too, and I take the easy way out: if it fits on a plate, it's OK. I don't give it another thought.

billyymc12508

Post by billyymc12508 » Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:17 pm

Nic,

Why do you have to eat out 2 or 3 times a day? Are you at work, and going out to bf or lunch? If that's the case, you could try what I do -- I either bring something healthy, or I keep food in my desk at work.

For example, my breakfast is almost always oatmeal with some crushed almonds and a small handful of dried cherries or raisins. Microwave it at work.

In my desk, I keep a box of crunchy granola bars (I like Kashi brand -- they "feel" healthier -- whether they are or not), usually a box of Kashi Heart to Heart (the one with the dried wild blueberries) or Kashi Go Lean, and fruit (oranges, apples). For lunch I'll have a serving of cereal (whatever the box says is a serving) and just eat it dry, a piece of fruit, and if I'm feeling really hungry one of those mozzarella sticks or even another fruit.

I try to eat my breakfast late (unless I swim in the morning) -- around 8, and then hold off on eating my lunch until 1:30 or maybe 2. I either walk, or workout on an elliptical and/or treadmill at 12 each day.

Good luck...I know it would be VERY hard for me to lose weight eating out. In fact, if you get in the habit of eating fresher, healthier food....you will be generally turned off by the thought of eating out (esp at FF places).

Give No-S time -- it works. My biggest challenge is still weekends -- actually, Friday after work probably, becaue it's still an N day but it feels like the beginning of a weekend.

billy

benjishi

Post by benjishi » Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:22 pm

ditch the fries.

Eat half of the "dinner" style meals.

Iced tea instead of pop.

kccc

Post by kccc » Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:24 am

I would really re-examine the "have to" eat out idea. At-home food in inherently SO much healthier than eating out.

Even if you can't use a kitchen at your inlaws, surely there's a fridge somewhere? At my work, they have a fridge and microwave. If you have even that much, here are simple menu ideas for lunch (or dinner).

- PB or tuna on whole wheat (REAL whole wheat). Bagged salad with dressing. Carrot sticks. Fresh fruit.
- Cheese quesadilla, similiar sides.
- Cold bean salad, made with canned beans (rinse to get rid of sodium). Lots of variants. Crackers. Single-serve applesauce, carrot sticks.
- Plate of cheese, crackers, fruit.

If you really, really do HAVE to eat out, go for a real dinner rather than FF. Two fruits/veggies on the plate at every meal, limit the sauces and fried stuff, really LOOK at the plate for portion size. Take a look at where you usually go, and expand your repertoire.

Good luck.

RS393

Post by RS393 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:08 pm

Thanks! Yes- it is tough b/c of my living situation. DH And I spent the weekend at open houses- so this is only temporary thankfully.

I unfortunatly started this on a Friday, which (Fri) i did well, but Sat/Sun i was scared and sort of slipped back into plain old habits.

I am excited for the new start today, and appreciate the advice. However, im still struggling w/ a few things- if you can shine any light- i woudl appreciate.

-how many times week should we weigh in?
-can we eat salad on the side (or soup) or does that have to go on the plate?(might be messy w/ the soup LOL)
-should we "focus" on eating healthier foods? or does it work regardless of the nutritional values?

Thats it for now- i like this- but the obsessive dieter feels very out of control on this WOE. I can do it !!! Its a behavioral thing- and im going to stick it out.

Thank you!!

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:28 pm

I count a normal sized bowl of soup as 1/3-1/2 of a plate, depending on how thick a soup/stew it is.

I just put the salad on the plate.

YOU ARE NOT GOING TO SEE A WEIGHT DROP EVERY DAY ON THIS. I weigh every day, but daily fluctuations do not bother me. I track trends of a month or more. You COULD just throw out the scale if you're really doing No S properly. Seriously.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:00 pm

Wow, this is becoming the diet of diet book authors :-)

Fast food is tough. If it's a temporary situation then I'd say:

1) no supersizes or double burgers or burgers that are named after the quality of largeness (that's just seconds rolled into firsts)

2) no sugar soda (obviously a sugar s)

If it's not a temporary situation, then make it one. I like fast food now and then, but you really don't want to be subsisting on it. We've had reports from big fast food eaters loosing weight on no-s, but obviously, it's not optimal. No-s will still work in that you'll probably eat less fast food than you did before just in absolute terms, but it works much better, both from a health and weight management perspective when there is healthy food competing for those limited input opportunities as well.

What about cheap ethnic food as a fast food alternative? Sure it's greasy, but at least there a vegetables, and you can even get brown rice at most Chinese places nowadays.

Also, if you can't cook, do you have access to a refrigerator? Cold cereal, salad, instant noodles, almost anything you prepare at home is better than what you'll get eating out, if only because the portions won't be so monstrous. It doesn't have to be all or nothing, if you could just replace some of those fast food meals it would be a good start. 2/3 times a day is a lot.

Reinhard

joasia

Post by joasia » Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:09 am

I agree with reinhard. Fast food is killer. Unhealthy and monster portions. I have lost weight in the past, just by cooking everything myself. Also try no cook foods like: sandwiches, canned soup, cereal, salad, fruit, nuts, dried fruit, milk. Or maybe head for the deli where you can get a roast chicken and add a salad and some bread. You could probably survive this way for a while, I did it in college :wink:
The destiny of nations depends on the manner in which they feed themselves. Jean-Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

RS393

Post by RS393 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:18 pm

Thanks everyone- Reinhard when you said:

"1) no supersizes or double burgers or burgers that are named after the quality of largeness (that's just seconds rolled into firsts)"

DID YOU MEAN NO FRIES? OR FRIES INCLUDED?

THANKS!

Kevin

Skip the fries

Post by Kevin » Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:51 pm

On every level, fries are a disaster. They are very high on the glycemic index. They have vast amounts of fats (and very often the disastrous hydrogenated fats). They don't fill you up (although the fat helps).

Carry carrots with you if necessary. Get the fruit cup instead of the fries. Whatever you have to do, leave the salt, grease n' starch slivers for someone else.

That being said, they are delicious, aren't they.
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

Ray E.

Post by Ray E. » Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:27 pm

I think that if the fries fit on a physical plate, then it's OK. Is it healthy? Obviously not, but it still comports to the one physical plate of food rule.

Over time this will become less of an issue as you realize a fast food lunch doesn't satiate your appetite very well and you'll switch to healthier meal options and save the fast food meals to S-days.

One of the benefits of eating this way is not fretting over carbs, fat, calories, etc., but letting portion control (and snacking control) work to our advantage.

Ray

Kevin

Ray E.

Post by Kevin » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:47 pm

I think that if the fries fit on a physical plate, then it's OK. Is it healthy? Obviously not, but it still comports to the one physical plate of food rule.

Over time this will become less of an issue as you realize a fast food lunch doesn't satiate your appetite very well and you'll switch to healthier meal options and save the fast food meals to S-days.

One of the benefits of eating this way is not fretting over carbs, fat, calories, etc., but letting portion control (and snacking control) work to our advantage.

Ray
I agree with Ray in spirit, but I do worry that folks that don't see some progress in a month or so will abandon the long term because of the short term disapointment. How much better could you do if you made a choice that wasn't french fries?
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

Ray E.

Post by Ray E. » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:55 pm

Kevin, your way of eating is better, no doubt about it and people will definitely get better results eating this way. One plate will at least minimize the damage! :D