How much weight have you lost on NoS?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

jaob

How much weight have you lost on NoS?

Post by jaob » Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:43 am

I know the main point of NoS is not about weight loss, but that is where I am in my journey. I really need to know that some weight will come off if I stick this out. I can understand the health aspects and retraining of our poor eating/drinking habits, but it is still coming down to weight loss for me :cry: . So my question to all you NoS die hards is...

How much weight have you lost and how long did it take? Thank you all for your help and I hope this won't be offensive to anyone :wink: .
My times are in Your hands. Psa 31:15

mschalock

Post by mschalock » Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:07 am

I have lost 12 pounds so far. I am close to my goal weight so I am losing very slowly, about 2 pounds a month. At least the movement on the scale is going the right direction!
-Monica-

jaob

Post by jaob » Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:01 pm

Thanks Monica and congrats on your 12 lbs.!! :D Anyone else? Would love to hear from you!

zoolina

Post by zoolina » Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:08 pm

I've lost three pounds in three months.

Kevin

how much weight

Post by Kevin » Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:20 pm

I lost about 22 pounds over eight months, then slacked off and gained back about 12 of those. But I'm doing a lot of resistance exercise, so I'm figuring probably five of that is muscle.

I'm back on track again and losing weight again. Eating three times a day I can get close to, and maintain, the weight I was at when I graduated college.
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:58 pm

I've lost 3 pounds and about an inch and a half in a month.

Julie

Johnny Quick

Weight Loss

Post by Johnny Quick » Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:29 pm

Hi!

Since December 27, 2006, I have lost 11 lb. The best part is that I have enjoyed the journey. I never had so much fun losing weight because, since I eat what I want, every meal has become a gastronomic adventure. I am only 31 lb from my ideal weight of 160.

Thanks!
Last edited by Johnny Quick on Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It's not over until its over."

Yogi Berra

Ray E.

Post by Ray E. » Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:15 am

I've lost 10 - 11 lbs. in two months, or so, with about 10-15 lbs. to go. I'm giving myself a 5 lbs. fudge factor.

Ray

mondurvic

My weight loss so far

Post by mondurvic » Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:33 am

I've been on it two weeks and have lost three pounds, and believe me, I fully exploited my S days.

Judy

This path is my life

Post by This path is my life » Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:35 pm

I've lost 20 lbs. since I've been on No-S which has been about a year since I was lurking for awhile before I started posting. It has been incredibly enjoyable and liberating when I let it be, in other words, when I don't put extra restrictions on myself that cause me to binge more, and when I stop feeding the guilt monster. Where I am now is being gentle with myself and kind to myself and not putting any restrictions on myself except the bare bones 3 No-Ss because if I do that then I will succeed, enjoy food, and not binge.

A point to note is that I do do a modified shovelglove which I call my "morning movement" (mm) in which I do yoga or kickboxing or stretching or weightlifting for 14 mins and I walk an hour a day. I think exercise is key to making this plan work and I used to think that it had to be something intense and not that enjoyable like running, but walking does the trick just fine and is amazingly enjoyable. Through No-S I have discovered what a joy walking is and I know that has helped my weight loss tremendously. I am 5'6 and 140 lbs. and I could be comfortable at this weight, in fact it's the weight that I always said I wanted to be. No-S has really changed my life for the better in every way. I'm thankful everyday.
"There is no such thing as a bad choice, there is only the next choice"

jaob

Post by jaob » Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:23 pm

Thank you so much everyone! I appreciate the time you took to answer my inquiry. Congratulations on everyone's loss and your new outlook on eating! :)

joasia

Post by joasia » Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:08 pm

I walk 3 to 6 miles everyday. When I lose a little more, I will start weights or shovelglove. I am down 12 pounds in one month (I have a 100 pounds to lose) so that is why I am quicker than the others. My biggest challenge is the food. Even with this great program, my food demons rear their head. But I have discovered in weight loss, persistence and patience is EVERYTHING.
The destiny of nations depends on the manner in which they feed themselves. Jean-Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

kccc

Post by kccc » Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:38 pm

My weight loss has been slower - about 10 pounds since October (that's about 2.5 lbs/month). However, that includes holidays (when I usually gain), bouts of no exercise (blame the holidays again) and some mitigating factors: I'm female, already close to ideal weight, and old enough for my metabolism to have slowed somewhat.

So I'm happy with my 10. Two more, and I'll be at the range I want.

navin

Post by navin » Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:09 am

When I started, I figured I was about 40 lbs overweight.

I've been doing this about 4 years now, and have lost somewhere around 25 lbs. After 3 years, I took off somewhere between 26 and 30 lbs (depending on the scale's mood on any given day). For the last year I've remained kind of stagnant over all, maybe a slight gain. Most of that is becuase I've been lazy and haven't exercised as much as I had in the past.
Before criticizing someone, you should try walking a mile in their shoes. Then you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

JustAnnie

Post by JustAnnie » Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:56 am

I lost 7 pounds on NOS and another 3 pounds from having a bad case of the flu since Jan. 2.
Just Annie

You Can't Fail Until You Quit Trying

silverfish

Post by silverfish » Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:12 pm

I started in mid-2005. Over 18 months, I've lost 27kg (59.4 pounds) - from 111 down to 84 (244.2 down to 184.8). My BMI, for what that's worth, has dropped from 35 to 26.5). I haven't been doing much exercise beyond walking to the train station.

Kathleen.

joasia

Post by joasia » Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:12 pm

Silverfish,
Do you eat whatever, or do you eat specific things?
The destiny of nations depends on the manner in which they feed themselves. Jean-Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:31 pm

Have you seen the testimonials page?

http://nosdiet.com/testimonials

Not everyone quoted there is still active on the bulletin board, or for all I know still on the no s diet, but it is evidence that significant weight can be lost on No-s, which, given the moderation of this approach, is perhaps the more incredible part.

Reinhard

silverfish

Post by silverfish » Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:15 pm

Milczar, it's more a question of what don't I eat :) Do a search of my posts (if you can) and you'll see most of them are about having splendid S-days.

Now, I don't think No-S will necessarily help you lose weight if there isn't any weight to be lost. I had quite a bit. But I ate very large meals for the first few weeks, until I realised I couldn't actually starve to death in six hours. For a while, I would have a drink of juice or milk late in the day if I was feeling a bit faded, but I don't need that anymore (although I have started drinking coffee - more related to work than hunger!).

Breakfast is anything from [a sausage and egg mcmuffin and orange juice] to [two slices of fruit toast with butter and a coffee] to [a fruit scone and yoghurt - there is a yoghurt bar near here which serves macadamia and honey yoghurt!]. The last few days, I've been having one large bowl of muesli. But if I meet someone for breakfast before work, I'll have a decent cooked breakfast.

My basic (i.e. pre-payday :) lunch is soup and a bread roll, or other prepared meal, like Tasty Bite's Madras Lentils, and a glass of milk. If I'm at the shops, I'll have sushi train or a kebab or a toasted gourmet sandwich. If I'm meeting someone for lunch, I'll have whatever the cafe offers for lunch, although now I'm more often having the entree size (which is usually the size of a meal I'd prepare for myself anyway).

Dinner... If it's movie night (cheap tuesdays) I'll usually have fastfood (no softdrink, and no chips unless I'm having a very small burger). Sometimes we go to a restaurant. If I'm eating at home, though, it is likely to be small - tuna, peanut butter on celery, a carrot, some fruit.

There isn't any real pattern to it, except that I find No-S self-regulating. I don't want fastfood for every meal. Sometimes I want salad. Or fish. Or a steak. If I know I'm going to Hogsbreath for dinner, I'll have a smaller lunch. If I had an expansive lunch, dinner will be correspondingly small.

My only self-imposed limits are:
(1) If the food says on it how many kJ are in it, I'll try not to have more than 2000/2500 for a meal. This isn't a restriction so much as a learning tool. (So if I'm at mcdonalds, I won't have anything with a quarter pounder).
(2) On S-days, I'm only allowed to eat something if (a) I need it to survive; or (b) I like the taste.
(3) If at all possible, no more than one coffee a day (this is a money thing).
(4) I try to drink a lot of water.

I don't get a lot of extra exercise, but I do walk to the bus or train, and from there to work - and occasionally if I'm not doing anything else, I will take the long way home. Once I'm settled into my new place and tame my social life, I'd like to start running (I did this for about two months last year) but that is because I learned to love it, not for exercise or weight loss!

So it doesn't sound like I should be losing weight, by dieting standards, does it?! I didn't start No-S to lose weight, just to... be sane, I suppose, in my relationship to food. And when I start thinking "I could lose this by doing ..." then I stop myself and think about something else. A watched pot never boils - in fact, it keeps getting taken off the stove and having its lid opened and being stirred and having things added to it! I regard this, if I think about it at all, as a long term investment in happiness and confidence - like the stockmarket, you can't take the short term view. From month-to-month, you might not like what you see, and give up and withdraw your investment. Over years, you will very probably be pleasantly surprised!

Kathleen.

Blondie

Hey everyone!!!!!!!

Post by Blondie » Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:54 pm

I'm back!

To answer the question, I have lost about 25 total. I took about a year off from posting and being really vigilant, but never gained (I also wasn't exercising). To some degree, I was able to keep the weight off because I was pretty unhappy a lot of the time (bad relationship) and lost my appetite, but I also firmly believe that the no-s habits had stuck. Mostly, I think it's the sweets--I rarely eat them now, even on S days.

I've gained about 5 of it back in the last month or so, which sucks. I started exercising again, so some could be muscle, but some is definitely not. I've fallen into some emotional eating (please see: END of bad relationship) with snacks and seconds, so I'm going to re-up. I know 5lbs isn't such a huge deal, I'm in a healthy range, etc etc, but this is all about where we feel best, and 5-8 lbs. lighter is where I feel best.

So...here are the numbers. I started here in July of 2005 I think, at almost 150lbs, lost 10-12, then stopped posting. I continued to lose until I was probably 125 (about my goal/ideal weight) around Christmas, and now I'm pushing 130.

Anyway, this is my attempt to be accountable :) Glad to see some familiar names (Kevin, Deb, Navin etc). I will start up a daily (or dig up the old one) today.

Onward!
Blondie

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:01 pm

I started in August 2004 and in the first year lost about 17 lbs and about 12 or 15 more during 2005...

I was exercising during those years and lost a lot of inches too and gained muscle.. I went from a 42 inch waist to about 36.5....
Now after a real awol period from exercise, since last Summer I've been very slothful, I sadly have put on about 10 lbs back, but that's over eight months..
Funny, now that I think about it, my gaining trend has actually slowed down since joining NoS, because prior to NoS, I would have easily been able to gain 40 lbs in that kind of time frame..
I'm reversing it now though as we are reasserting our NoS habits again!!!
Woo hoo!

PS.. There's no reason anyone here would be offended by being asked about their personal results with NoS, and it's something we all want, just don't focus too much on the numbers because it's so slow, so that could discourage you.. It will happen though, but expect that if you are very good on this, you still might only lose 20 lbs in a year.. But that beats losing 30 lbs in thirty days, only to gain them back thirty days later...
Slow is much healthier and maintainable :)
Good luck!!
Looking forward to reading more on how you are doing :)

Peace and Love,
8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

navin

Post by navin » Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:17 am

Anyway, this is my attempt to be accountable Smile Glad to see some familiar names (Kevin, Deb, Navin etc). I will start up a daily (or dig up the old one) today.
Glad to see you back,and congrats on your success! Sorry to hear about the bad relationship... but one positive No-S thing about it - it means you won't need to make Valentine's day an S day. :)
Before criticizing someone, you should try walking a mile in their shoes. Then you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:22 am

I"ve been here since mid december. Took a major dive several days in a row from mid january up till this week, so overall weight loss has been 3lbs. But my first 21 days I stuck with it strictly and wound up loosing 10lb in the first 21 days (tells you how much I was overeating!) But several very stressful days led me to not care so much about noSing. I'm on track now wiht the help of my new noS buddy, jaxhil :)

One thing I did take with me even on days that I failed was no seconds. I found that going and getting seconds was just too much for my stomach to handle and I hated the extra gassiness and trips to the toilet for it.

Even now, if I bomb, it's usually just a handful of crackers or a bagel vs constant nonstop grazing like I did pre noS.

Give it a try I think you will be happy overall. I've come to understand emotional eating as well, so I'm unable to express my Thanks to Reinhard for putting these basic (common sense!) rules down for us.

My goal is to be down to 180 by the time I"m 35. I turn 30 next month and I am 236lbs. I started noS at 239. I hope this is attainable, but I can't wait to be at a healthier weight.
{FarmerHal} ...previously Shamrockmommy...
Vanilla NoS... Making good habits.
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

iu

How much weight have you lost?

Post by iu » Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:51 am

:D I just started Feb. 20th and I have already lost 5 pounds just by following the plan, I think the no snacks is really the key for me that and no sugar. It is so easy compared to low carb counting, at times I get scared that I will gain alot, but my scale doesn't lie....I know I can do this the rest of my life, and feel very fortunate for finding it. It really is working, :D
"There is no beautifier of complexion, or form, or behavior like the wish to scatter joy and not pain around us." Ralph Waldo Emerson