On gaining and losing the same 3 lbs.... over and over again

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

RS393

On gaining and losing the same 3 lbs.... over and over again

Post by RS393 » Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:35 am

I am beginning to think i am doomed. When i was in the 120's i would have this same problem, also when i was in the 130s, 40's, and now (gulp) high 50's. (ok i officially hit 160 this morning again. yikes).

So- the question is- i seem to create a ceiling for myself- some kind of number, right now its 160, if it hit it, i find a diet, lose about 3 lbs, do bad for about 2 days, gain it right back and the cycle continues. The past year has been insanely tough for me, i gained 20 lbs (10 in just a short time). It amazes me how quickly it came on.

Even when I was low carbing, the same cycle. Why do i keep doing this? I seem to stick to a WOE, then a few days after, I veer or change the rules allowing for exceptions (that i know are a nono). Hm? I cant keep doing this.

I will admit- i have not been excercizing at all. I am in a very unusual situation right now, not moving very much except (shame) to go out to eat or other errands. This isnt that abnormal for me, even when i was thiner, I didnt like to work out- but when i was maintaining my thinest weight, i did do the treadmill religiously.

So- why do i lose soooo fast, and gain it back sooo fast? I cant seem to figure this out. I get so excited when the lbs come off (generally .5 to 1lb per day). And soo depressed when the lbs come back on. Actually, it seems the number on the scale tends to dictate the "mood of the day" .. if im down- a nice version of self, if up- you know... (hubby always can tell if im up or down by the sounds coming out of the bathroom in the am.lol)

Now- imagine if i could just stick to a WOE longer, namely this one which i enjoy. (except for some terrible heartburn ive been experiencing for the past few days... another question i have).

So- help! (for the women out there- it is near TOM for me- which could be partly to blame).

I just cant figure out why i cant stick it out longer then say 2-3 days. Does anyone else have this problem?

Kevin

rapid weight loss and gain

Post by Kevin » Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:23 pm

Stop weighing yourself everyday. You're torturing yourself needlessly, and giving yourself a false reason to stop No-Sing.

My weight varies by as much as three pounds every day. I always weigh less in the mornings. I can weigh 184 in the morning and 187 before I go to bed. This is more true when I exercise more. I really couldn't care less - month to month, I care.

If you must weigh yourself frequently, don't worry about the variations. Rather, track the lower trend. Weigh yourself at the same time every day, or every week, and only with a good scale. If you are going to weigh every day, expect inexplicable variation. It's not like you are using a carefully calibrated, thousand dollar scale, right?

If you are 40 over now, where would you be in a year at a 2 pound a month weight loss? How about in 18 months? Quick weight loss is not sustainable weight loss. And pointless in the long run. And the long run is what we're talking about here, right?

Do yourself a favor. Get back on the treadmill, or, better yet, get outside and walk. Walking outside is probably better (natural periodicity in the hills and the chills, interesting things to see, less need to concentrate on the pace of a machine), but I know it's not possible for everyone. And, personally, I think walking is the very best weight loss exercise.
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

Ray E.

Post by Ray E. » Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:13 pm

Kevin, nice answer! I would only add that it will take a modicum of discipline to stay with any diet, though No-S requires less "noticable" discipline because as time goes by it becomes such a natural habit. (Reinhard explains the whole habit thing in great detail on his No-S description page.)

Stick with it for 21 days exactly as written and I think you'll be surprised at just how easy it is to stay with it. Good luck!

Ray

kccc

Post by kccc » Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:19 pm

If you're going to do No-S, you'll have to accept a certain "two steps forward one step back" rhythm. I weigh daily, but "count" my Friday weight (which is generally the lowest) as "official."

Concentrate on building the habit, not the scale. Read or listen to the podcast on "strictness" - got a lot to think about there.

If you can stick with No-S for 21 days, you'll naturally drop a lot of self-defeating behaviors. :)

Good luck.

Tslne

Post by Tslne » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:41 pm

I weigh myself every day at the same point in my morning routine (after I use the bathroom but before my shower and before breakfast). I write those numbers down. Then each week, I take the weekly average weight and put the weekly average on my chart. I keep a second chart for my monthly average (calculated with the daily weights). My goal is for my average weight to go down but I know there will be fluctuations.
"Avoid making irrevokable decisions when tired or hungry."

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:11 pm

Yeah... as Kevin said, up and down three pounds just sounds like normalcy.

Either don't weigh yourself except at long intervals, so that the amounts involved are more significant, or weigh frequently and systematically and track the average.

My preference is for the former. But it requires a certain amount of faith. Although frankly, the whole project requires a certain amount of faith, because you aren't likely to see significant short term evidence, no matter how closely you are looking. Moderate, sustainable weight loss tends to be very slow, half a pound a week or so. This is pretty much invisible at short time scales.

Reinhard

RS393

Post by RS393 » Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:58 pm

Thank you.... unfortunately as of lately, i have been sick so its been on and off... but- i will commit as soon as i feel better (tomorrow hopefully) to stick it out for the 21 days, and maybe I will try only weighing in 1x/week. That is a challenge for me, but i think i have "scale issues"..heh...more than anything. I also have discovered that I get frequent bouts of soar and swollen tonsils which make me sick for 1-2 days. I was told it was due to acid reflux at night, so Im going to try eating dinner somewhat on the small side, and 3-4 hours before bedtime.

Ill go watch the pod casts now....