Nutrisystem portion control

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Johnny Quick

Nutrisystem portion control

Post by Johnny Quick » Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:57 pm

Hi!

A friend who is on Nutrisystem told me that they are taught to restrict their 3 meals' portion to the palm of their hand for protein, a fist of their hand for starch carbohydates and all vegetables they want.

He added that you have to measure by your own hand, not somebody else's.

This portion size is for weight loss and maintenance after you achieve target weight.

Do you think this is reasonable or too little?

Thanks!
"It's not over until its over."

Yogi Berra

zoolina

Post by zoolina » Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:41 pm

When I look at my palm, I can't imagine eating that much protien 3 times a day. At dinner, maybe. I probably eat about a fist of carbs, but also lot fruit at every meal except dinner. Then again, I'm not losing weight particularly fast.

J Ellis

Post by J Ellis » Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:31 pm

Yes, those are fairly standard methods for estimating portions. Others use objects (e.g. protein=deck of cards), but I think the palm/fist concept is simpler.

You don't need something like this to make No-S work, but if you are interested in managing the ratio of proteins and carbs, this will work well.

Joel

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:14 pm

I think it sounds like a lot for protein -- especially more than once a day. I have small hands and a deck of cards would fit in the palm of my hand with room to spare. The amount for starches doesn't sound too bad, and the vegetable suggestion is great!
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:02 am

That sounds more or less like the way I structure my meals. It's not really so much protein; an over-easy egg is about the size of my palm, as is a chicken thigh, or the little pieces of meat that go in the vegetable container I take for lunch.

The vegetable portion sounds good. I'm not sure where fruit fits into the scheme of things in terms of weight loss.

ThomsonsPier

Post by ThomsonsPier » Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:28 am

That sounds about right for me, but I'm currently trying to build muscle.

I wouldn't use the fist technique for mashed potato, though. Sounds messy.
ThomsonsPier

It's a trick. Get an axe.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:34 pm

I've never been able to figure out why we do one thing to lose weight -- and another to maintain that weight after we get there.

If you use those guidelines during a weight loss phase, it might take you a little longer to lose the weight, but it might be a healthier and saner way to do it with an increased chance of maintaining that loss.

Just my $.02.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Bee

Post by Bee » Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:19 am

when you say palm of the hand, does that include fingers?

I think these are good guidelines to think about, but what I like about No S is that I can have a whole plate of pasta for dinner if I want to (though I wouldn't do that every day). Then again, I haven't lost too much weight. Then again, I've only been doing it 6 weeks and my weight fluctuates +/- 5 pounds according to my scale. Maybe I should cut down on the carbs. Do you think you can lose weight on No-S eating healthful foods but occasionally eating a dinner that is, I don't know, made up of mostly pasta, or a big giant burrito for lunch, or bagel and cream cheese for breakfast (sometimes but not regularly)? And assuming you're following the No-S rules of course.

zoolina

Post by zoolina » Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:28 am

I'm finding that the only way for me to lose weight on no-s is to have some kind of portion control. Otherwise my body seems to know exactly how much to eat to maintain the weight I am. I've been doing this 3 months and I'm not sure that I've lost anything at all. On the other hand, I'm sure that I haven't gained.

But I agree-- the beauty of No-S is in its three simple rules, no more, no less. I find that when I do exercise portion control in any kind of consistent way I lose control and can't keep up the 3 basic rules. So I would say go ahead and have a giant plate of pasta once in a while, as long as you don't go for seconds you have been sucessful.

Zoo.

Kevin

losing weight

Post by Kevin » Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:32 pm

It seems to me that I can maintain weight with No-S, but, if I really want to lose it, I must add exercise.
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

Bee

Post by Bee » Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:18 am

I have come to the conclusion that if I do No-S I will almost certainly not gain weight. And that is a positive step! And whether I lose weight or not, time will tell, but I think the great thing about No-S for me is that my obsession with food is OVER. That has given me a chance to focus on exercise and taking better care of myself. I no longer think to myself "I ate a ton of calories today so what is the point of exercising?". Instead, I think, "I've had a successful day today fueling my body and not overdoing it with food. If I exercise, I will be doing even MORE great things for my health and wellbeing." I might not even be eating that much less (although I know I am), but the point is, I can be satisfied with my relationship with food, get over it, and focus on being healthy. That is valuable all by itself.

That said, I want to lose some weight so I can be a hottie.
Last edited by Bee on Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pangelsue

Post by pangelsue » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:53 pm

I agree that vanilla No S is a great way to make peace with food and maintain weight. I don't exercise very much and until recently I didn't use any kind of portion control. I also let myself go completely on weekends. That doesn't work. I have been losing and gaining the same 5 pounds for an entire year. I have been recently trying to up my exercise when I can and I am using a bit more wisdom in choosing my food. Gobby, greasy, creamy has to be a sometime thing. Weekends have become saner. I think all of these decisions are becoming part of the process. 2 or 3 months into No S, I tried desparately to change the program because I wasn't losing weight. It didn't work. I would just rebel and go crazy. I needed first to create a new relationship with food and with myself as I am. With that kind of strong foundation, I am working on slowly making it healthier and saner too. This is not a quick process but it is a mind set that can signal permanent change and that is really what we all want, I think. I hope to lose some weight this year but even if I don't, life is better.
A lot of growing up happens between "it fell" and "I dropped it."

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:24 pm

There seem to be three groups of people who do no s (besides those who just give up right away):

1) those who do not do significant exercise and maintain weight

2) those who do not do significant exercise and lose weight

3) those who also exercise and lose even more weight

I haven't heard of anyone doing no-s (actually following the rules to some degree) and gaining weight.

All three of these are good! The status quo most of us are coming from is to gain weight. And if you're a frustrated #1, well, there's always option #3. Frankly I'd recommend #3 even to you lucky #2s. That was my story. I lost 20 pounds on No S alone, and then doubled that loss with urban ranger and shovelglove.

I would not recommend significant additional dietary restrictions if you're a frustrated #1. Don't risk what you have by extreme behaviors. Much better to add some moderate exercise, to come at the problem moderately and sustainably from two directions rather than extremely and unsustainable from one.

Some frustrated #1s (maybe even most) could probably be #2s if their "minimum level of compliance" were a little more consistently maintained. That's a worthy diet goal, and a little "extra" compared to what you are currently doing. But why not be a #3, while you're at it? It takes some of the pressure off, and gives benefits that no amount of dietary virtue is going to get you. It doesn't take much. It just takes it consistently over time.

Reinhard

Ray E.

Post by Ray E. » Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:30 pm

I can't prove this, but I'd guess that most people who maintain their weight on NoS and do have weight to lose, don't follow it to the letter. Not to preach, but if I'm not limiting my eating to three meals a day with no snacks and no desserts (except on S days), then I'm not following NoS. I'm following Sometimes-S which isn't the same thing. This alone will most likely take care of any excess weight. Adding exercise like walking is just icing on the cake.

JMO

Ray

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:08 am

Ray makes a good point... the thing about a moderate system is you actually have to follow it systematically. Because you're only cutting off a bit around the edges, there's not the same leeway of excess than an extreme system will give you. No-S has exceptions built right in, so you don't want to add too many more.

http://everydaysystems.com/podcast/episode.php?id=21
Moderation isn't mushy. Or at least, it shouldn't be. It shouldn't be just the absence of taking a stand. And yet for too many self-professed moderates, both political and personal, I'm afraid that's just what it is. The most powerful extremist technique is drawing hard clear lines and exploding when those lines come anywhere close to being crossed. Moderates should be the same way -- except we draw those lines in different places.
Reinhard