Weighing In

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

childbride

Weighing In

Post by childbride » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:43 pm

Something just occurred to me: it's Thursday, and my weight doesn't matter.

Why is this a big deal? Back in the bad old days, I weighed myself once a week, on Thursdays (probably because long, long ago, that's when my Weight Watchers weigh-in happened). Then, I became more interested in the overall weight loss/gain trend, and I started weighing myself every day...but Thursdays were the only days that "counted" in my head. If I suddenly had a huge random weight loss or gain on a Thursday morning (because we all know how random scales can be), it would make or ruin my day.

I still weigh myself every day, because I continue to be interested in charting the overall trend. But suddenly today's weight doesn't matter any more than yesterday's or tomorrow's. Today is not about a number on the scale; it's about staying on track today, working towards that green hash mark on the calendar.

I don't know what it is about doing No S that's making it possible for me to no longer care about the number on the scale, but I'm thankful for it.

stevecooper

Post by stevecooper » Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:39 am

I was thinking about this this morning, actually.

I figure humans weight can fluctuate by quite a bit daily; let's say +/- 4lb fluctuations in food and water and such. Scales have an intrinsic error in them, too; I'd guess about +/- 3lb; I can certainly 'choose' my weight a bit by shifting my bodyweight a little, and the scale isn't necessarily smoothly calibrated.

That means your scale is giving you a reading with a stone's confusion; it could be seven pounds under, or seven pounds over. Or to put it another way, the most accurate reading you can get is how many stones you weigh, not how many pounds. Takes the edge off a daily reading.

JustAnnie

Post by JustAnnie » Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:26 am

I officially check my weight at the beginning of each month. I know that what I'm doing now is making me feel healthier and I know that my clothes are getting looser so why do I need to obsess about the scale? :lol:
Just Annie

You Can't Fail Until You Quit Trying

Kevin

weighing

Post by Kevin » Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:41 am

When you weigh yourself, I caution you to weigh yourself at the same time of day, and I suggest the best time is morning. I am always 2-3 pounds lighter than I am before I go to bed. I figure if you are going to track something, it might as well be your lowest weight...

But if your clothes are looser and you feel good about yourself, forget about it all together.
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."