Night sugar cravings! Please help!

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Writer110

Night sugar cravings! Please help!

Post by Writer110 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:22 am

I'm brand new here & can't even seem to get through one day without the night sugar cravings getting the best of me! :oops: Can't seem to get my willpower in gear.

Has anyone struggled with this and overcome it? Any suggestions would be wonderful!

Thank you!
Moxie

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:08 am

I went through this out of the blue a month or so ago. I thought that making sure I ate fruits might help, but that made it worse. What solved the problem was eating enough grains/starches with my meals. It was purely an accidental discovery.

But one thing: while I was craving sweets, I didn't give in to the cravings. Just because we crave something doesn't mean we have to fill the cravings. We're in charge -- not the cravings.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

florafloraflora

Post by florafloraflora » Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:09 pm

I have more trouble with afternoon snack cravings than post-dinner cravings, but I have a couple of suggestions:
  • The best strategy is not to keep snacks around. If it's not in the cupboard, I won't eat it. Just throw the sweets out. It's a really liberating feeling to let the junk food know who's boss. Sugar is cheap and you can always buy more if you still have that craving next weekend. If it's something homemade that you can't stand to waste, freeze it until the weekend.

If you can't shake the cravings, you could try going out for a walk and staying out until it's nearly bedtime and you're too tired to snack. It has worked for me before.
Good luck! No-S is a great way to eat. I hope you'll find that it works for you too.

Bee

Post by Bee » Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:30 pm

When I want something sweet after dinner, I make myself a cup of decaf or herb tea with a little honey. It feels a tiny bit indulgent without being a sugary treat. It is also very relaxing and it helps me tell my brain that eating is over for the day.

I've also gotten into the habit of totally cleaning up the kitchen immediately after dinner and sort of telling myself that "OK, now that the kitchen is totally cleaned up, no need to go back in there until breakfast tomorrow!". I usually put the tea kettle on to boil while I'm cleaning up.

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:49 pm

I struggled with this the first weeks as well. One of the things that really helped was getting several servings of veggies at supper time. A "serving" is usually like 1/2 a cup of veggies, but I have about 4 servings at supper time. The fiber fills me up really well.

If things get really crazy then I have a soy milk before bed.

Over time, your pancreas will adjust the amount of insulin it's accustomed to spilling out. It's still programmed in the snack mode and will adjust. (at least this is my experience).

Now, when I'm hungry between meals, I'm hungry but not physically/emotionally ravenously hungry, if that makes sense?

Or maybe it's just that I've decided to ignore it and eat only when it's meal time. <shrugs>
{FarmerHal} ...previously Shamrockmommy...
Vanilla NoS... Making good habits.
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

stevecooper

Post by stevecooper » Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:43 pm

My experience so far has been that my appetite is like a child; if I indulge it whenever it shouts loud enough, it learns that it can get what it want by shouting more.

For me, being very strict through the first few weeks has put my appetite in it's place; I think I'm not feeling hungry between meals because my appetite knows that it won't be indulged. Like a child that's learned the rules, it doesn't try to push the boundaries if those boundaries are very firm.

With that in mind, then, I can only suggest that you absolutely do not allow yourself to give in. I think the act of giving in, after a prolonged battle with yourself, teaches the appetite to scream in protest all the more often and loudly.

Writer110

Post by Writer110 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:31 pm

Thank you so much everyone for your responses! These are all great ideas. I will definitely try the suggestions.

Moxie

Kevin

Idle hands...

Post by Kevin » Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:20 pm

Are you busy after dinner? I've always found that if I have something active to do, I think a whole lot less about food. Not, for instance, reading, but puttering in my basement shop.
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:40 pm

Moxie,

If it gets too bad, have a glass of milk. Yes, milk has calories, but it's not solid food, it's not sweet, and if your hunger is real, it will satiate it. You'll technically keep the habit of not eating between meals.

Milk is soporific too, so you kill two birds with one stone.

Best of luck and let us know how it goes,

Reinhard

Space_mom

Post by Space_mom » Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:39 am

What has helped me is a glass of milk with some protein powder added. Protein is very filling. Just one glass leaves me like I've eaten a good-sized snack, with just around 100 calories.