It is good to get hungry between meals

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

tthornell

It is good to get hungry between meals

Post by tthornell » Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:10 pm

I have been trying the intuitive eating, only eat when you are hungry approach. I found that I still never let myself get truly hungry. Now, with no snacking, it is 5 hours or so between meals and I get truly hungry. This is my third day, and so far I love it. Any body else here just trying to drop 15 lbs or so? How are you doing?

storm fox

Post by storm fox » Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:50 pm

Charles Staley, whom I have great respect for, has said that a major problem in dieting is that people want to avoid hunger. He recommends that for those trying to lose fat, hunger between meals should be welcomed. So, in his view, hunger is relatively neutral, but it can be used to sabotage weight loss or aid it. I've been sure to allow myself to get hungry between meals and I've been sure to take the piddling amount of thought to think, "hey, I'm hungry-that means I'm probably in a caloric deficit. Good, because that's the only way I'm ever going to see my abs. Besides, the next meal isn't far off," or something like that. I recommend it, especially if you're the cranky when hungry type.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:44 pm

Moderate hunger is good. And that's all you'll ever feel once you get this habit down.

Does anyone not want to feel sexual desire because they can't immediately satiate it? Same deal. You don't ever really enjoy food if you never get hungry.

Reinhard

storm fox

Post by storm fox » Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:55 pm

Hey, that's a damn good point.

sassafras

Post by sassafras » Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:47 pm

reinhard wrote:Does anyone not want to feel sexual desire because they can't immediately satiate it? Same deal. You don't ever really enjoy food if you never get hungry.
Well said!
The only time to eat diet food is while you're waiting for the steak to cook. - Julia Child