Realizing How Much You Used to Eat

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Samurai

Realizing How Much You Used to Eat

Post by Samurai » Sat Jul 02, 2005 12:25 am

I ate lunch with my sons today at a barbecue joint. Big, meaty BBQ sandwiches, roasted chicken, loaded baked potatoes, that sort of thing.

The sandwiches are loaded with so much that the chopped brisket spills out into your basket. Well, I usually eat mine, and today was no different.

But before NoS, I would have finished off the BBQ in my basket, the rest in my son's basket, and would have helped myself to some of the left-over roasted chicken my other son didn't finish.

I stared at their baskets, a little aghast and dumbfounded, realizing that had I done so I would have eaten enough food for two more people. No wonder I've been gaining weight! LOL!

Funny thing is, I was still full when we left the restaurant, having finished only my own sandwich and a few plain potato chips. :D

And I stuck to the plan for another meal, another day.
One should not be envious of someone who has prospered by unjust deeds. Nor should he disdain someone who has fallen while adhering to the path of righteousness. - Imagawa Sadayo (1325-1420)

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sun Jul 03, 2005 12:39 am

You Rock Samurai San!!!
Wait a few months more and you will probably see some pretty dramatic changes, not just in your portions, but in your whole relationship with food.
You will become so much more discerning and feel so much more content with the "right amount" of food.. Overeating will disgust you if you go back... NoS truly changes all that old stuff....
Great news!
BBQ brisket in a basket! That sounds pretty delish... :P
Keep on truckin!
Love,
8) Deb

Samurai

Post by Samurai » Sun Jul 03, 2005 12:51 am

Hey Deb,
I'm not sure its even going to take a couple of months! We went to Pizza Hut this afternoon; I ate 5 slices of pepperoni and already I feel sick. This is from a guy who'd normally eat half a large pie by himself! I could have easily stopped at 2-3 slices and felt full, which would have been in keeping with - SURPRISE - No S diet rules! LOL!

But knowing it was an S-Day, and so wearing my 'what-the-hell-hat,' I ate more than I needed because, well, I could.

Ugh. :roll:

But its another lesson learned! Woo hoo! :wink:
One should not be envious of someone who has prospered by unjust deeds. Nor should he disdain someone who has fallen while adhering to the path of righteousness. - Imagawa Sadayo (1325-1420)

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sun Jul 03, 2005 1:41 am

No one said free will instantly translates into great choices...
And some of those of us who have worn the "What the hell" hat for years and years will hear that little "siren" call now and then... The great thing is we are coming into a new awareness, and realize we really do have a choice...
You rock!!!
8) Deb

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:42 pm

Yes, and the longer I do this, the easier it is to make the right choice.

Gia

Post by Gia » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:34 pm

yes! when i remember how I used to ate, it is a bit ridiculous!

I would basically eat as if it was an S day every day.
breakfast (same as I have now)
snack on m and ms
get hungry and eat an early lunch (big size)
then snack on cookies/a full size muffin
then maybe eat a toffee or candy that someone at the office supplies
then go home and eat a dinner
get seconds
and sit on my but and do no exercise

repeat the next day!

i still eat the same things (apart from sweets) and still have 3 full meals, but it all fits on one 1940s size plate (not these GIGANTIC plates we have now adays!!)

:)

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:38 pm

For me, it was an N Day failure almost every day. There were some N Day successes scattered in there as well. The S Days made the N Days possible! After many, many times of eating more than "I should" on the what-the-hell S Days, I have learned "I want" to eat the amount that makes me feel good.
Kathleen

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:00 am

It's amazing how much my relationship with food has changed since starting No S! The first few weeks I did No S, I would totally binge on my S days to the point where I feel sick. Now, I'm starting to get to where I want maybe 1 or 2 sweets on an S day, and otherwise, I'll eat like I do on N days.
I'm also finding I don't want sweets nearly as much as I did before I started No S. I've been having what I call moderate S days this week because my husband is off from work this week and he doesn't get much time off, so I've been eating sweets once or twice a day the past few days, and I'm starting to get really sick of them.

princesspamf

Post by princesspamf » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:31 am

Through all the years of eating and trying not to eat, nothing I ever tried has changed my relationship with food as NoS has. It's amazing to me. I'm in my 8th week with the last 3 weeks plus the 4 days of this week with only one red square on my habitcal! And that was only a small choice off the plan, not a binging falling off the wagon experience like other diets. Let me tell you, this has not been like the me of the past! I don't think I tried any other diet for more than 2 or three weeks. Maybe Zone eating a little longer, but very loosely and mostly not.

I like the simplicity of this eating lifestyle. I'm enjoying actually feeling hungry. I'm really enjoying the small amount of sweets I might eat on an S day. I'm losing weight, slowly, but continually. I'm finding that my concept of portions is changing on my S days and my N day plates are getting lighter. Amazing.

I'm hooked!

Pam
Do or do not. There is not "try". ~Yoda in:
The Empire Strikes Back

sporkfancier

Post by sporkfancier » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:25 pm

princesspamf wrote:I'm enjoying actually feeling hungry.
I think I know what you mean, though I wouldn't refer to it as enjoyment. I think I appreciate hunger now. When I do feel hungry, I tell myself: "This is good. This means you'll really appreciate the next meal." And if that doesn't work, I tell myself: "Hunger is the feeling of your body converting your stored fat cells to energy." I realize that may not strictly be true, but in the "old days" I would satiate that hunger with a snack or sweet, so indirectly it works :)
Shovel glove? Isn't that the size of prophylactic I use?

vmsurbat

Post by vmsurbat » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:08 pm

I only found out indirectly that I must have been eating tons of food without noticing... I was never a snacker of junk food--more of a BLTer in the kitchen (bites, licks, and taster--Thanks, KCCC for the succinct acronym!).

I've been NoSing for more than a year, and I am still secretly amazed (and thrilled) because I eat such great meals three times a day it doesn't seem possible that I could lose weight, but I have--more than 30 lbs now. :D
Vicki in MNE
7! Yrs. with Vanilla NoS, down 55+lb, happily maintaining and still loving it!