New, and heavy...

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

karinatwork

New, and heavy...

Post by karinatwork » Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:25 pm

Ok, so I went to the Diet Blog website and did some reading about all of the different diets out there, and I landed here...

In 2002, after the birth of my son, I weighed about 275 lbs. I'm 5'9", and this puts me in the OBESE category. I started with WW at the end of February 2003, with a starting weight of 258 lbs and by the end of the year I had lost over 70 lbs !!!) I never cheated, I never exercised either. It just fell off of me. Then I went back to visit my family in Europe for three weeks. And that's when it all fell apart. I have not been able to go back onto the diet. I try every morning, and by night it's hopeless. I am currently at 237 lbs (up from 185 lbs) and of course very unhappy. I am still subscribed to WW online but I cannot stick to the program for more than 3 or 4 days. Then I fall back into my old overeating routines.

So I was wondering, if this diet for me? Will the S-day allow me to be good during the week (sounds like it). Will I be allowed to have a worry-free S-day (because if I have to count and worry, I won't be sticking to it). Or is it another of those diets that tell you that you can eat as much as you want and then there is the big BUT at the end (like South Beach, bla bla bla).

Thank you for any insights. :)

Karin

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:13 pm

Welcome, Karina!

I think you'll find NO-s is the opposite of WW: it starts out hard and gets easier instead of starting out easier and getting insufferable.

But the start can be tricky. And it sometimes takes a few false starts. So brace yourself for that. The good news is once you get the habit down, this is a wonderful way to eat.

Also brace yourself that it may take time to see results. Some people are lucky and see a big drop right away, but for most people it takes a while. That's the downside of any moderate and sustainable approach.

S-days are officially worry free. Some people do worry about them, but I think generally speaking that is misdirected worry. Good N-days and focusing on positively treating yourself to something special on S-days are all you should have to worry about.

Reinhard

karinatwork

Post by karinatwork » Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:25 pm

Thank you so much for your reply! This really seems to be the way for me to go. I wish I could start today but I already had a teeny wheeny breakfast and some snacks... Maybe I start today anyway. :)

Thank you so much for doing this.
Thank you for caring.

Karin

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:29 pm

Karina,

I'm a WW dropout/convert too. I actually made my WW lifetime goal... and then gained weight back. Twice.

WW works, but it just takes more attention than I have.

With No-S, I'm currently about 5 lbs under my WW goal (which I had deliberately set on the high end to have a little "wiggle room"). When I started with No-S, I was just a few pounds over.

And yes, it WAS hard at first. I was really into snacking a LOT, and cutting that was hard. But it has gotten easier over time. I just don't even think about it most N days.

Read through the posts here for encouragement. A lot of people (including myself) had "wild" S days at first, that gradually got better. That's all right. Focus on getting the N-days down, and over time, the S days will be calmer.

I love No-S, because I feel that I've made peace with food. No more dissecting meals I can't control (like luncheons at work meetings) and angsting over the points... I eat a reasonable amount and stop, and know that it won't matter over time.

Best wishes.

joasia

Post by joasia » Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:20 pm

I know I have posted this before. I lost 50 pounds on WW and gained it all back plus 20. Yes WW worked well. There were some huge downfalls.
A) being hungry ALL the time B) not being able to eat out (except at fast food restaurants) C) becoming obsessed with the points value of every ounce of food. Not to mention the obsession/fear that followed when you had to estimate and were not sure how many points something was. I too have not been able to go back to WW. It is a great diet if you don't have a life and can devote lots of time to reading labels.
The destiny of nations depends on the manner in which they feed themselves. Jean-Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

Kevin

You won't know...

Post by Kevin » Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:28 am

You won't know until you give it a try, will you? So, give it a try!
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

storm fox

Post by storm fox » Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:39 am

I have tried a bunch of diets, and no-s is by far the sanest, most humane, most sustainable thing you can do to get your eating in order. No 8 meals per day, no crazy macro/micro nutrient counting, no trying to stay up to date with the latest "good" and "bad" foods. I have found my body does well with a goodly amount of meat. So, some meals are meat and veg or meat and fruit. However, if I want a sandwich or rice, or pasta, I have the flexibility to do so. I have found that after a couple of false starts (like Reinhard says, you should brace for them and not beat yourself up if you don't do it perfectly right at the start), the diet is really quite agreeable. While remaining observant, it has stopped feeling like much of a diet to me. I get my three plates per day and I pick food that I like/crave. I have energy to spare and exercise has become much more habitualized too. Your mileage may vary, but there is no diet I can recommend more highly.