Not a Victory in numbers, but in habit!

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

storm fox

Not a Victory in numbers, but in habit!

Post by storm fox » Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:38 pm

No, I haven't done anything huge that can be quantified. No big time milestones or anything. However, at work today, there were many reasons to celebrate: 2 birthdays and the seeing off of my mentor. I was dreading the moment the cake and ice cream would be trotted out. Ice cream has always been my weakness and cake has always made me feel horrible. Something felt different, though. I rolled with it and gave myself permission to "S" for one meal to see how I do when the training wheels come off. Given my previous issues with these desserts, I was kind of crossing my fingers.
I had a nice piece of delicious cake and a small-medium serving of ice cream (I used to fill a bowl to overflowing). And then I stopped.

It was a great feeling to enjoy the ocasion, to joke and talk over dessert with clients and the office folk, etc. It felt great. But it felt nowhere near as wonderful as it felt to have control over my eating! The best part was that it was no strain. A couple of times I had to remind myself that I would not go back for more, and that I had been given my fair portion. That was it. I didn't binge, I didn't have the insane "hollow leg" cravings, and I didn't miss out on enjoying the celebration.

Even though it was an unscheduled S, I really feel great about it. I plan not to cut loose this weekend like I did last weekend. It made me feel wierd and it bloated me something awful. Funny, my issues with cake have probably been like my other food issues: portion-related. I felt fine after dessert for once.

I am psyched as all get-out about No-S. Thanks, Reinhard and all you wonderful folks.

pangelsue

Post by pangelsue » Sat Mar 31, 2007 1:47 am

Wonderful insight. Keep up the good work.
A lot of growing up happens between "it fell" and "I dropped it."

kccc

Post by kccc » Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:25 am

storm fox, that sounds great! :)

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:28 pm

Congratulations, Storm!

It's great when we stick to the rules, but it's even better when the training wheels come off and we see that even then we can behave moderately and normally. The best part of the rules is how they train us.

Reinhard