In need for a treat...

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

karinatwork

In need for a treat...

Post by karinatwork » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:16 pm

... but I can't have one. At least not until Saturday - and it seems to be so far away!

What do YOU do when the need for a treat hits you hard, mid afternoon, and you're stuck at work, at very close distance to the vending machine??
Started on March 29, 2007 with 237 lbs.
- 4 lbs

florafloraflora

Post by florafloraflora » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:30 pm

Um, drink water? Or maybe some tea.

Sorry I can't be more helpful, but that's what I do.

I know where you're coming from--I'm having a hard time resisting the Easter candy in the kitchen just down the hall from me. I don't know what I'd do with a vending machine nearby. Maybe every time you're tempted to buy something you could put the change in a jar instead, and spend it on a treat over the weekend?

karinatwork

Post by karinatwork » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:34 pm

That sounds like a good idea.
I have to remember: hunger is good. Hunger is my friend. Hunger means calories burnt! :)
Started on March 29, 2007 with 237 lbs.
- 4 lbs

Jaxhil

Post by Jaxhil » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:50 pm

Imagine hunger as slight pains caused by fat melting away :D

If that doesn't work an ice water usually helps me 8)
Hilary
_______

"Habit, if not resisted, soon becomes necessity."-St Augustine

"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have."-Thomas Jefferson

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:41 pm

Here are a couple of treats for you. It is no-s-day okay, but make sure it is part of your meal (or leave space for it on your plate if you want it later.)

"ICE CREAM" (it's all fruit!)

Frozen ripe bananas (80% of the volume)
Other fruit (can also be frozen, but doesn't have to be, just so long as about 80% of the total fruit is frozen)

Mix it all up in a food processor. Serve immediately. If you try to re-freeze it, ice crystals will form.

POPSICLES

Buy some popsicle molds and fill with fruit juice. Most molds only hold about 1/4 cup, so your calories will be pretty low. You can also mix frozen fruit into the juice, freeze in the mold, and call it part of your lunch or dinner.

Iced Tea is a great snack, too. Get some of the exotic flavors. Or make one of the fruit-flavored teas and add some ice cubes made from real fruit juice.

Update: sorry...when I was reading your post I got distracted and missed the part about being at work. I treat myself to one Altoid and some tea. Maybe you can enjoy the ice cream at home, with dinner.
Last edited by Jammin' Jan on Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:27 am

Have some coffee. That's what I do. It gives you a little lift but doesn't ruin your day. I usually have a latte. Probably not the best advice, health-wise, but it works for me...

navin

Post by navin » Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:30 am

This may sound silly, but something I did a lot at first to help avoid the vending machine is just don't carry any cash! Or at least, no change or small bills.

As for dealing with the hunger, water is a good suggestion. You could even try juice or milk or something like that - yes, it does have some calories but it's better than, say, a pack of Zingers from the vending machine.

For me, this part of it got a LOT easier over time. The first few weeks were tough in this regard, but it has gotten easier over time, and now it's almost never a problem (unless I just eat too small of a lunch).
Before criticizing someone, you should try walking a mile in their shoes. Then you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Bee

Post by Bee » Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:32 am

I second that...this was also a part of NoS that for me was extremely tough the first couple of weeks, but got much easier after that, so hang in there.

When I'm having the afternoon munchies I make or buy a cup of tea with milk and honey. It has just a small amount of caffeine and sugar but it really is what it takes to get me through the day some days. If it is late in the afternoon I will even get a decaf one and that does the job just as well.

Also, I find that water with a little juice mixed in or a squeeze of lemon is suprisingly effective.

zoolina

Post by zoolina » Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:55 am

If it's sweets I crave, I have some raisins or dried figs as part of my meal. If I'm hungry, I have a glass of milk.....

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:28 am

3pm is my bad time - everyday. I schedule either a coffee or a tea (depending on my mood) with milk and sometimes even 1/2 teaspoon sugar.

For me this really helps get past that snacky feeling.

I even do this on S days as I have found that if I start snacking at this time I can keep going till bed! I am fine if I have a snack in the morning or after dinner, just not around 3pm (it seems to trigger a huge binge mode in my brain at that time of day).
Hugs from Sunny South Africa
Vanilla No S with no Sugar due to Health issues - 11 yrs No S - September 2016 (some good, some bad (my own doing) but always the right thing for me!)

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:50 pm

In addition to the great ideas, think about what else you might be wanting.

Part of the vending machine attraction for me was just an excuse to get up from my desk for a minute. So, I find other excuses - even just a "walk around the building." Small breaks are okay. :)

So, if it's a "treat" you need, are there non-food things that qualify? If I have a long writing stretch, I light a scented candle and turn on Pandora to a soothing station. Treats that make me feel a little indulged, even if I'm doing this annoying task. (Over time, they actually help put me in "work mode," lol!)

Good luck.

Too solid flesh

In need for a treat...

Post by Too solid flesh » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:58 pm

Cups of tea or herb tea.

Fruit, ideally fresh, sweet and crunchy or juicy. I have dried apricots in my desk drawer for moments of extreme hunger, but seldom need to resort to them.

bex2_5

Warm it up

Post by bex2_5 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:27 pm

I would suggest drinking something warm. A guy in my office makes a homemade Cafe Mocha...a cup of dark roast coffee and about half of a pouch of fat free hot chocolate mix. I had my doubts, but it is really delicious and at 3pm when I'm in that bored work slump and I feel like I really NEED to eat, I'll have this hot beverage and it tides me over. Good Luck (ps. this is my first post!)