Just Starting Out

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

bex2_5

Just Starting Out

Post by bex2_5 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:32 pm

Hey all,
After reading about the No S diet for a couple of days, I think I'm almost ready to jump on board. I'm not going to lie, I have this thing about not starting something new (diet/exercise wise) until Monday. So that gives me the weekend to gear up (plus, they are S days anyway).
But what I want to know is what should I eat. What do you guys eat?
I think I have lunch covered. I usually have a turkey sandwich, carrots with ranch dressing, some fruit and some light popcorn. But I have no idea what to do for breakfast. Thoughts? I want to stock up on some breakfast ideas so when I go grocery shopping this weekend I'll be all ready to start on Monday! Thanks :-)

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:12 am

The short answer is anything you want that fits on one plate. :)

The longer answer is something you like and keep you full until lunch. I have found that I eat a little more protein on No-S than I used to.

Here are some typical breakfasts for me if that will help. YMMV.

I always have 1-2 cups of cafe au lait, and then one of the following:
- Whole wheat toast with PB and banana
- Kashi Go Lean cereal (I like it, okay?) with trail mix on top
- Scrambled egg sandwich (childhood comfort food) and OJ
- Oatmeal with fruit and maybe nuts
- Multigrain bagel with cream cheese or hummus, piece of fruit

Hope that helps!

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:08 am

Welcome!

Regarding breakfast, basically all that's out is stuff doused in maple syrup, pop tarts, and sugar cereal. That leaves a lot left over.

1. Most "grown up" cereal is fine. Remember you can eat things with some sugar, just not things that have a ton of sugar. And don't forget hot cereal -- I'm a huge oatmeal fan.

2. Bread or muffins with butter or cheese.

3. eggs, bacon, ham.

4. fresh fruit! I have fresh fruit pretty much every morning. It's very breakfasty, very healthy, legitimately sweet, and displaces less healthy stuff on my plate.

Reinhard

zoolina

Post by zoolina » Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:28 am

But the main thing is to relax and not worry about stocking up on diet food. Go shopping as you normally do, buy the things you like, and, like KCCC said, things that will fill you up till lunch. The greatest thing about No-Sing is that you can let all that planning about what to and what not to eat go.

:D Sigh of relief: Ahhhhh!

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:39 am

Glad to hear you found No-S! If you want to know what we eat (which is pretty much everything) go to the Check-in pages and read what everyone posts each day. There are no food rules except the three basic ones: no sweets, no snack, and and no seconds. Enjoy yourself!

florafloraflora

Post by florafloraflora » Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:09 pm

Welcome! What has worked best for me, especially in the beginning, is to eat tiny servings of a lot of different things so I don't feel deprived.

For breakfast, I usually take a "one from column A, one from column B, one from column C" approach:

A protein: soy sausage, eggs, leftover Easter ham, etc.
B carbs/fiber: usually oatmeal (a small serving, made with ~ 1/3 cup oats and some lowfat milk) or whole-grain bread spread with peanut butter and honey or lowfat cheese or butter and jam--I don't eat a lot of cold cereal but you could definitely include that in your breakfast
C fruit: a grapefruit half, a clementine, a smoothie of frozen blueberries and strawberry yogurt, or other fruit

Once in a while I'll eat dinner for breakfast, but usually I stick to this type of menu.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:11 pm

I do the A-B-C approach to all my meals: 1/2 plate vegetable/fruit/salad; 1/4 plate starch; 1/4 plate protein. Fills me up, keeps me going!

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:06 pm

Eat whatever you want, but it does pay to eat in a fairly healthy way. It's best to stay away from fast food, because it is *so* caloric.

Start tomorrow with an S day. =0)
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:11 pm

I pretty much eat whatever (barring poptarts and fruitloops though)

Typical examples:
Breakfast burrito: Scramble 1-2 eggs with seasoning the way you like it, add maybe a leftover b'fast sausage or bacon bits. Toss in leftover rice, potato or couscous. Place on a burrito and wrap it up. Total the amount of filling is probably a cup give or take a bit.
I try to have a fruit with b'fast so a banana or an apple.

Meusli: Bob's red mill brand Meusli cereal with dates and soy milk. Decaf coffee with a Tb of creamer. Hard boiled egg.

Homemade pancakes with fruit preserves (polaner all fruit). This to me almost seems like a treat, but I do whole wheat and the fruit preserves which has very little sugar. Yum O!

Minibagel with pg&j with a hard boiled egg and soy milk.

I like to have my decaf coffee between b'fast and lunch.

and Welcome :)
Please post as often as you need!
Tiffani
{FarmerHal} ...previously Shamrockmommy...
Vanilla NoS... Making good habits.
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18