A new acronym to confuse the uninitiated

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

reinhard
Site Admin

A new acronym to confuse the uninitiated

Post by reinhard » Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:15 pm

First there were S-days (days that start with S)

Then there were N-days (Non-S-days)

How about NWS-days? (Non-Weekend-S-days)

Pro: short, precise, unambiguous technical term for something we need to make sure doesn't happen too often.

Con: baffling if you don't know what it stands for.

Might be good for check-ins, if nothing else. "NWS" is easy to find with a text search and tabulate at the end of the month or whatever period you are interested in.

Reinhard

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:29 pm

Why not?

It makes sense.

Dru

joasia

Post by joasia » Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:48 pm

Correct me if I am wrong, but I always thought that there were N days, S days, and special occasions/holidays. Therefore NWS days are already covered under the special occasion clause.
The destiny of nations depends on the manner in which they feed themselves. Jean-Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:22 pm

That's correct, they are covered. But they're a "specially" interesting subset of S-days.

There's no need to consider them separately or track them if it's not a problem or doesn't interest you.

Reinhard

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:45 pm

I like NWS-days. Days when my husband and I are both off from work and school, I have begun treating as S days, even though they aren't on the weekend. But they aren't holidays or other Special days either. So days like today I will think of as NWS days, with the proviso that I must make it up. Tomorrow I am working all day, so it will be an N-day for me. Then Sunday will be an S-day as usual.

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:27 pm

For me, NWS days would be the "special days" that are okay - but you don't want too many of them.

For example, my dh's birthday this week was a legitimate NWS-day, but ordinary Fridays (which I WANT to turn into S days) are not.

mimi

Post by mimi » Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:28 am

Great! I had one of those days - NWS - on Wednesday of this week, my third day into No S. I made it an S day, but it really wasn't a special occasion. I did it mainly so I wouldn't blow the whole day as I would have done in the past. I'm one of those, sad to say, "all or nothing" dieters - or at least I was until I heard about No S. It worked and I got through the day and the situations that I was worried about fine. But, I agree with KCCC - you don't want too many of them. I'm looking forward to tomorrow and Sunday - my first official real S days!
mimi
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

navin

Post by navin » Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:26 am

The only issue is an acronym collision. NWS can also mean "Not Work Safe".
:shock:
Before criticizing someone, you should try walking a mile in their shoes. Then you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

J Ellis

Post by J Ellis » Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:00 am

The only issue is an acronym collision. NWS can also mean "Not Work Safe".
Or "Non-Wicked S-Day," as in an S-day where you actually showed restraint, observed the "sometimes" clause, and contented yourself with a small bowl of ice cream instead of the half-gallon, individual serving. :D

Joel

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:03 am

Sounds good to me.
{FarmerHal} ...previously Shamrockmommy...
Vanilla NoS... Making good habits.
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18