Tricks and tips

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

kccc

Tricks and tips

Post by kccc » Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:34 pm

Just a general thread for "things that work for me and might for someone else" - please add yours!

- I love brown rice instead of white, but it takes forever to cook. So when I have time to make it, I cook extra and freeze. I put 2 cups of rice in a large zip-lock bag, flatten it out. and stack the bags in the freezer - they hardly take any room. Defrosts quickly. If I use it in something with sauce, I just throw it in frozen and let the hot sauce warm it up. Helps with quick meals on the nights I'm rushed. (Great for a quick Chinese or beans'n'rice dinner.)

- I have a "routine" to my meals to make them easier to plan. Nothing rigid that adds an extra layer to No-S, just something that makes it easier for me to plan meals. (At least one fruit at breakfast, 2 at other meals. That kind of thing.)

- I end my dinner meal with my glass of wine. It signals "all done" to my brain. (I've noticed other people do this with tea or a bit of fruit on their plate.)

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:40 pm

I do something similar with my steel cut oats (since they take 30 minutes to cook): prepare 4 to 8 servings and keep the extra in the fridge. They reheat fine.

D.

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:19 am

Great tip with the rice KCCC!

My tip for successful noSing is 1. Find a noS Buddy. Both of you check in together.

My buddy is Jaxhil and she's singlehandedly helped to change my life (well and you too, Reinhard dear :) )
{FarmerHal} ...previously Shamrockmommy...
Vanilla NoS... Making good habits.
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

florafloraflora

Post by florafloraflora » Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:59 am

Great thread, KCCC! I have a more general form of your brown rice tip: whenever I cook anything, I portion it up and freeze or refrigerate whatever's left over right away so I won't be tempted to pick at it as I'm cleaning up the kitchen. It helps keep me from snacking or seconds. Sometimes I even cook something big after I'm done with dinner, so I won't be hungry as I cook. I find it a lot easier to keep my habit when I've got something nourishing already made instead of having to cook while I'm hungry, which often leads me to nibble as I go.

want2bhealthy

Post by want2bhealthy » Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:35 pm

hey great tips, i like the wine after dinner signals you are done i might try that but with my favorite drink. i also like the cooking after dinner so belly is full then you have stuff to eat the next day without picking. i might do that after breakfast though since i dont have to go in until 10:00 am.
man, i have tried EVERYTHING else, this has to be my last stop.
starting fresh july 1-09
wt 207

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:07 pm

And of course, weekly menu planning really helps.

I find I tend to think in patterns for that too. A typical week...

1) A bean dish of some kind - beans and rice, chili (I make it meatless), "tower of tortillas" (beans/salsa/corn layered with tortillas and cheese, in a round cake pan, covered with foil and baked, then cut into wedges to serve), etc.

2) A chicken or turkey dish - the choices are endless. :)

3) Fish. We like salmon or a white fish, sometimes shrimp as a treat.

4) Red meat or sausages/hot dogs or that kind of thing. Once is the limit.

5) A vegetarian dish. Pasta - again, endless choices! Tofu stir-fry, Spanikopita casserole, Eggplant Parmesan (bake the eggplant!), quiche or other egg-dishes, etc.

Any meal needs to include 2 veggies/fruits on the side or as a significant part of the main dish.

Also, I like making something early in the week that will leave leftovers for lunches.

Knowing what I'm going to cook each night helps keep me from grazing indecisively.