Quick Question

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

alf28

Quick Question

Post by alf28 » Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:59 pm

Hi everyone -
I've been following the No S eating plan on and off for a couple of months. I now want to follow the program in earnest because I really think this way of eating is the most sensible. But, I am also planning on training for a half marathon and, assuming that goes well, for a marathon. Does anyone familiar with this plan think that running long distances is incompatible with eating just three (single plate) meals a day?
Thanks for your input!

navin

Post by navin » Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:03 pm

That's a tough one. Well, for sure, 2 out of 3 of the S's still make sense - sweets and seconds. No sense loading up with chocolate chip cookies and donuts before a race, right? Or 4 plates from a Chinese buffet? As for the snacking - while I don't do anything like a half-marathon, I do play ice hockey and run 5K's. Something like a banana and Gatorade before or during an event does makes sense..

I'm curious to know how it goes for you. There are some other runners and athletes here, too, so maybe they'll chime in.
Before criticizing someone, you should try walking a mile in their shoes. Then you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

J Ellis

Post by J Ellis » Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:42 pm

The answer will also depend on how much weight you are carrying around that you may wish to lose. Generally, marathon training is not the time to diet, but it is the time to monitor your diet so that you are putting in the right kind of fuel.

You won't need any sweets during the week during marathon training. As Navin said, that rule should remain unchanged.

Seconds will depend on how high your mileage is, when you are running most of your miles, and what kind of food you are eating. If you are eating healthy, but calorie dense foods, you may be fine with one plate. If you are running your long runs on the weekend, you have the chance to make up for the calorie deficit anyway. If, on the other hand, you are eating nothing but salad made from iceburg lettuce and are running back to back long runs on Mondays and Tuesdays, well...you need a new plan.

Snacks will also depend on your mileage and training schedule. If you have to eat some snacks, set some personal guidelines for what is acceptable, e.g. only during weeks X-Y of the training program, only fruits, only within X minutes before or after a run.

One other thought, make sure that you count your long runs over ten miles or so as "special days" if they do not fall on Saturday or Sunday.

Joel

J Ellis

Post by J Ellis » Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:41 pm

Some "running higher mileage" friendly, nutritious, No-S compatible options:

B-Fast:
1) 2-3 eggs, Peanut Butter on Whole grain toast, fruit
2) Oatmeal w/ fruit, 2-3 eggs
3) Oatmeal w/ Peanut Butter, fruit (this is during really high mileage)
4) Pancakes w/ fruit
5) Plain Yogurt w/ fruit, PB Toast

Lunch-Dinner Options:
Pick One: Chicken, Turkey, Fish, Beef
Pick One: Rice, Pasta (prefer whole grain)
Pick Two Vegetable/Fruit

Certain foods are ideal for endurance athletes, e.g. Sweet Potatoes/Yams, Eggs, Bananas, Peanut Butter on whole grain bread, Milkshakes (oops, how'd that get in there).

Joel

ThomsonsPier

Post by ThomsonsPier » Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:35 am

No-S is perfectly compatible with your aims as-is. However, you may wish to allow yourself larger portion sizes. Apparently, cyclists on the Tour de France swear by chocolate milkshake.
ThomsonsPier

It's a trick. Get an axe.

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:12 pm

For me it works fine. I run first thing in the morning, on an empty stomach, and eat breakfast after. Fueling AFTER running is more important than before, as Joel hinted, (protein and carbs after, just carbs before). Unless you run mid-morning or mid-afternoon, you should be find (ie you'll be near a meal if you run morning, noon, or pre-dinner).

Also, your long runs will probably be on weekends, so if you need an extra snack, it shouldn't be a problem.

alf28

Post by alf28 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:43 pm

Thanks for all of the feedback and advice. No S seems very doable for me...it may just involve a lot of trial and error at first. Hopefully, I'll get the hang of it before the mileage gets too high.