Everyday System for Nutrition?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

storm fox

Everyday System for Nutrition?

Post by storm fox » Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:00 am

This is mentioned on the NoS page, and I was curious as to whether it is in the works. I have had a decent time with NoS, and am wondering how to tackle the nutritional nuts and bolts.

mimi

Post by mimi » Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:37 am

I'm still learning No S, but I've wondered about this also and would be interested in hearing input from the "experienced" gang!
mimi
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:44 pm

Don't know if Reinhard is working on it, but here's my personal system (which I think is pretty good).

Include protein, carb (preferably complex) and fruit/veg at every meal.

For dinner and lunch, veg/fruit needs to be 1/2 the plate; lean protein 1/4; complex carb 1/4. For breakfast, I just include at least one fruit and don't worry about proportions the same way.

Obviously, this gets fudged a little when I have combination entrees - pasta with meat and vegetables. But it's a decent general guideline for proportions.

The other rule is "eat different things." Yes, I could eat broccoli every meal, but rotating my veggies gives me a greater range of nutrients.

Oh, and there's one more "rule" (thanks to Michael Pollen): Eat food. (As opposed to "edible food products," which are not real food.)

jiggapayne

Post by jiggapayne » Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:01 pm

removed
Last edited by jiggapayne on Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:05 am

What KCCC does it what I do, too: 1/2 plate salad, non-starchy vegetable, or fruit; 1/4 plate starch; 1/4 plate protein.

It's just my general guideline, since not all meals fit the pattern. But it's become my "default" meal setting.

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:48 am

Jiggapayne, if you want simple, here's Michael Pollen's advice:

"Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants."

I love it.

That's where I got the distinction between "food" and "food-like edible products" - which I'd kind of made in my head, but he articulated so well.

(From http://tinyurl.com/2evb6g)

zoolina

Post by zoolina » Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:43 am

After giving Vanilla No-S a good solid go for 5 months, not really losing any weight, and being constantly tormented by crashing blood sugar, I've adapted the program a bit (keeping the core: develop good habits, have simple firm rules, etc)

Here"s my "Chocolate No-S:"
1) No Empty Calories
2) No Eating after Dinner
(except S days, sometimes)

The no empty calorie rule has really helped-- during the week I just don't eat anything that is not nutritious.

jiggapayne

Post by jiggapayne » Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:58 am

Yes KCCC, I am also a fan of Michael Pollan. The "eat food, not too much, mostly plants" mantra fits right in with the No S concept.

If you would have given the full quote, I probably wouldn't have tried to simplify your advice. :) I should have thought to do it myself. I'm glad you brought it up.

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:45 pm

Lol! I made it a little more complicated because I need a bit more structure. And I learned "plate divisions" a long time ago, and like them.