fighting one evil at a time

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

joasia

fighting one evil at a time

Post by joasia » Wed May 16, 2007 10:33 pm

I know somewhere in Reinhard's intro, it says something about fighting one vice/evil at a time. I would love to eat perfectly tomorrow, but I know I am human. So my plan is to really get this down cold, then I can add things like (eat more organic, or whatever). I will, however, try to eat less junk, because I feel less lethargic afterwards when I avoid it. Any thoughts?
The destiny of nations depends on the manner in which they feed themselves. Jean-Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

silverfish

Post by silverfish » Wed May 16, 2007 10:44 pm

Yes.

No-S is self regulating. Sure you can have fast food for every meal (no softdrinks), but it won't be long before you don't want to :) I found that the longer I've been on No-S, the more I am aware of what I want and need - some days I really want vegetables. Others I know that it's about time I had fish or a steak.

Also, once you have the No-S part down, it is very easy to add in other things you're personally concerned with - wholemeal bread, or more leafy greens - within that structure. And if after several weeks of that you suddenly really want a Big Mac, and have one, there's no moral failing involved. You probably needed it :)

Kathleen
(Down from a size 20 to a size 14!)

joasia

Post by joasia » Wed May 16, 2007 11:35 pm

silverfish,

How did/do you decide between just soup for lunch, or let's say soup, sandwich, and an apple? Do you listen to your hunger?
The destiny of nations depends on the manner in which they feed themselves. Jean-Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

silverfish

Post by silverfish » Thu May 17, 2007 4:52 am

I plan to eat whatever doesn't make me panic about being hungry.

So, at the start, if I said, "I'll have a sandwich for lunch" and that made me panic, I would pack two sandwiches, some fruit and a drink of some description. When I stopped panicking, I packed less. If I didn't make it through to dinner without milk or a juice, I'd bulk it up a bit the next day.

The other thing I did could be a problem for anyone with an obsessive personality. I don't. At all - too much work for me :) That warning aside, at some point, out of curiousity I worked out what I should probably aim for as a minimum average kJ intake, divided it by three and used it as a base for deciding in awkward situations. For example, breakfast is usually on autopilot and dinner is never a problem, but if I pick up a can of soup for lunch and its, say 700kJ, then I'll have toast and butter and fruit and milk. If it's a 2200kJ burger I won't usually have anything with it :) In practice, it's exactly the same as the first method, because I know if I have 1500kJ for lunch, I'll probably be starving by the time I get home late in the evening.