Iron is Low

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

The Preacher

Iron is Low

Post by The Preacher » Thu May 17, 2007 3:36 pm

Hey folks. I am a frequent blood donor. Over the past few years there has been an increase in the number of times which I am deferred from giving for a while due to low iron. I take a multi with 100% of the daily iron needs. I am a man. I eat plenty of iron-rich foods. I cannot figure it out. This may be why I don't have the energy that I think I should for a 39 year old.

I have set an appointment to discuss this with my doctor. I just thought I'd bring it up here. Maybe someone will have some insight.

Thanks.
I hereby command you: Be strong and couragous; do not be frightened or dismayed, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go. -- Joshua 1:9

ThomsonsPier

Post by ThomsonsPier » Fri May 18, 2007 8:01 am

If you know for a fact that you're getting enough iron in your diet, then the problem must lie with your body's absorption of it. This could be as simple as a lack of calcium or too many tannins in your diet.

I'd wait to hear what the doctor says.
ThomsonsPier

It's a trick. Get an axe.

paulrone

Post by paulrone » Fri May 18, 2007 1:40 pm

You'll be fine if you do what I do. Find some old rusty nails near a construction site and chew on 'em like gum. Lots of iron in them nails, you know.
-Sometimes Fundamentalist and self-appointed King of the S-day Moderates
"As it is (sometimes) written, so let it (sometimes) be done."

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri May 18, 2007 10:22 pm

mmmm! rusty nails!!
Brilliant!! LOL :P

Do you like liver at all???
That is super high in iron..

Good luck!
Peace and Love,
8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Sat May 19, 2007 12:19 am

Cook with cast iron. Cheap, soulful, gastronomically unbeatable -- and healthy (unless you have hematomachrosis).

Best of luck getting past this,

Reinhard

navin

Post by navin » Sat May 19, 2007 2:24 pm

I started having this same problem, too. I had never been deferred for low iron before, but after a couple of years and about 20 lbs loss on No-S, it started happening from time to time. I figured before, my body must have had lost of iron (and about every other nutrient) to spare, just because I ate more.

Try clams! They are high in iron. In fact what I've done is make this pesto pizza with spinach (well, in the form of pesto) and clams, and drink orange juice, which helps absorb iron. If I concentrate on getting iron up for a few days or week before I donate, I'm usually fine.

I've thought about going to a doctor but haven't yet. I think the blood people require iron at a level a little higher than what is normally considered "healthy" just to be on the safe side.
Before criticizing someone, you should try walking a mile in their shoes. Then you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.