Toning down borderline foods: yogurt and granola

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

reinhard
Site Admin

Toning down borderline foods: yogurt and granola

Post by reinhard » Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:12 pm

There are two big borderline foods that seem to come up a lot: yogurt and "grown up" (but still very sugary) cereal (like granola). And there's a very easy way to keep them well on the virtuous side of the border.

1) buy plain yogurt and add your own sugar/honey. However much sugar you put in, it won't come near what they'd put in pre-sweetened yogurt. You'll also probably wind up with better yogurt, since the really good stuff seems to only come in plain. There is no sacrifice here. It's dead easy and, if you're not too stingy with the sugar, will taste better.

2) cut super sweet but virtuous seeming granola with a non-sweetened cereal like grape nuts (or my favorite, Ezekial 4:9 -- grape nuts with divine mandate :-)). At 50/50, it'll still be plenty sweet. In fact, as with the yogurt, I find it tastes better this way.

Reinhard

Betty

Post by Betty » Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:30 pm

The best way I've found to sweeten yogurt is with some really good jam. It doesn't take much--a small spoonful--to create a sweet, but not too sugary, taste.

florafloraflora

Post by florafloraflora » Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:15 pm

Since we're talking about yogurt, I'll bring out my dirty secret, even though you probably will all think I'm a freak: sometimes I eat my yogurt with Marmite, the dark salty yeast spread. It's got to be really good, non-sour plain yogurt. It's sort of like eating it with honey, only salty, and I add a much smaller amount of Marmite than I would of honey.

ThomsonsPier

Post by ThomsonsPier » Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:36 pm

That sounds interesting. A friend of mine used to eat Marmite with a spoon. I like the stuff, but that's a bit far even for me. I have nothing further of interest to say on this topic, as I dislike both yoghurt and cereal bars. Bleh.
ThomsonsPier

It's a trick. Get an axe.

ClickBeetle

Post by ClickBeetle » Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:08 am

For my money, Seven Stars yogurt is the best. They add just a little maple syrup to sweeten their vanilla flavor, but it's about 1/3 the added sugar of other vanilla yogurts.

Another idea is to blend "lowfat vanilla" with "whole-milk plain" so that you get a semi-sweet yogurt.

I find that non-fat yogurt does not leave me feeling full until lunchtime. A little fat with each meal seems helpful for feeling satiated.
Chance favors the prepared. - Louis Pasteur

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:22 pm

I think I'm going to call this subsystem "BYOS" (bring your own sugar).

Maybe I'll add it to the Intelligent Dietary Defaults page if I ever get around to compiling that...

Reinhard

david

Post by david » Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:10 pm

This has been my approach with iced tea as a substitute for soda pop. It would be difficult to put enough sugar in 12 oz. of iced tea to equal the sugar in a can of soda--I don't even think you could get it all to dissolve.

B.Y.O.S. is a good way to state the concept!

--david

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:44 am

Interesting discussion.

In another vein, I make a couple of treats for my son that are technically No-S compliant, but that just feel too much like sweets for me to eat.

The first is frozen yogurt. Instead of buying frozen yogurt products, I freeze tubes of regular flavored yogurt. Less sugar and fillers that way. So, it's two ounces of yogurt, which I'd eat unfrozen... but somehow, it just feels wrong once it's frozen. Like a dessert.

Similarly, I make popsicles out of plain juice or juice mixed with vanilla yogurt. Again, I'd drink the juice, but popsicles are sweets to me. Even healthy ones.

I actually thought about this one for a while, because technically these are both okay... but since they didn't feel right, I decided they were habit-undermining and should be avoided.

(PS - David, you have not had Iced Tea as it's made in the South [USA] if you think you can't get too much sugar in it. It's sweetened when it's brewed, before cooling, so it's super-saturated.)

ClickBeetle

Post by ClickBeetle » Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:55 am

People try to put sugar in iced tea when it's *cold*? How very strange. Quite unthinkable.

david

Post by david » Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:37 pm

Yes, of course I've had "sweet tea!" Hush your mouth!

:D

Even homemade sweet tea doesn't seem to have nearly the sugar that pop has. Regular iced tea with the sugar added afterward is even less sugar-laden.

--david

ClickBeetle

Post by ClickBeetle » Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:02 am

OK, let's get this straight: Sugar cannot be added to iced tea. What do you mean, "Regular iced tea with the sugar added afterward"??

This must be some manner of Northern blasphemy. Paugh!

mondurvic

The best yogurt in Canada

Post by mondurvic » Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:19 am

Back to Reinhard's first post in this thread, when he links to the best yogurts (thick, Greek) available in the States, the best one I've found in Canada is Mediterranee, made by LIBERTY. I have found it both in Quebec and in BC, so imagine it's available cross-country - probably mostly in health food stores. Nothing else compares.

Judy

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:57 pm

I've been eating a Greek-style yogurt lately and very much enjoying it over the American style.

Recently I bought a few vanilla yogurts and my favorite brand of granola. I hadn't had either for six months or more. Both tasted entirely too sweet to me, and even worse than that, they tasted like artificial sweeteners instead of sugar or honey or even HFCS. I actually checked the ingredients list to see if they were sweetened artificially. They weren't, but I'm now completely turned off by them.

So, back to the Greek yogurt I like with my own added fruit and maybe some honey and on a search for a new brand of granola. Shoot, maybe I'll even make it myself!
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:24 am

I like plain yogurt, a little bit of jam, and a whole lot of wheat germ.

Not so good when the yogurt goes moldy, like it was this morning. Bleh.

sheepish

Post by sheepish » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:55 am

My Indian background means that I find the concept of yoghurt as a sweet bizarre. For me, it's something I eat with curry or a drink (half yoghurt, half water, coriander, ground cumin, black pepper and salt whizzed in a blender, called a "salted lassi" if you order it in a restaurant though they don't always go the whole way and put all the spices in.)