When does it get easier?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Betty

When does it get easier?

Post by Betty » Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:39 pm

I've been doing NoS, successfully, for the last 6 days. The first 4 days were fairly easy. I mean, I got hungry between meals, but I sort of embraced the hunger and got through it. Yesterday I hit a wall: I'm tired of not snacking.

I really think that this diet is reasonable and I want to give it a good solid chance. It makes sense that habits start kicking in after a while, and I'd be interested in hearing from those who have made it through the kind of rough patch I'm experiencing now. Because right now is definitely about will power, and it feels like it's crumbling.

Also, in order to aid the kicking in of habits, does it make sense to do all of the first 21 days as N days? I'm afraid of not being able to get back on track after the first set of S days. Thoughts, anyone??

Thanks, Betty

Too solid flesh

Re: When does it get easier?

Post by Too solid flesh » Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:39 pm

Betty wrote:I'm tired of not snacking.

Also, in order to aid the kicking in of habits, does it make sense to do all of the first 21 days as N days?
Personally, I wouldn't try this. It could end up too much like a restrictive crash diet, which with me always ended with bingeing. S days act as a kind of safety valve, which helps me keep going.

If you're worried about not returning to NoS after your first S days, maybe you could consider promising yourself some kind of non-food treat (soak in the bath, watching a favourite DVD or whatever) for the evening of your first subsequent N day? Many people find the plan really suits them, so it is worth perservering to see whether it works for you.
Last edited by Too solid flesh on Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:42 pm

Well, it takes 21 days to make a new habit...

I agree with TSF, follow the program as written and don't try for 21 N days in a row.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:56 pm

After doing No-S for 2 years, I can tell you that the S-days are there for a reason. I suggest you just follow the program as-is, and don't modify it. Some days will be easier, some will be harder, but whatever you do will be better than whatever you would have been doing if you weren't doing No-S at all. Hang in!

Betty

Post by Betty » Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:26 am

Thanks for the advice. I'll try the plan as is... actually, today feels a bit easier...Whew!

KC 7707

Post by KC 7707 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:27 pm

Betty,

I have found that for me personally there are two kinds of S-days- the kind where I snack and eat everything in sight or the kind where I keep everything reined in pretty tightly but have a treat with the kids or a small dessert. Both experiences are valuable: for the former I end up feeling like a glutton and the discipline of the N-days is a relief and as for the latter I get a break from the discipline of N-days and that is a relief. If I tried to be too strict I would definitely fail on N-days

Kevin

florafloraflora

Post by florafloraflora » Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:41 pm

No-S days are really important for keeping a strong habit, and not just because cravings need to be indulged once in a while to prevent bingeing. A little extra indulgence once or twice a week helps keep your metabolism from slowing too much. I've also found that S days are a good opportunity for insight into your food cravings: what exactly do you crave, and why, and how much of it does it take to really satisfy you, and how has this changed since you started No-S?

This is a bit of an embarrassing story, but I'll share for the benefit of the group. My very first S-Day after I started No-S was also my birthday, which fell on a Saturday. I ate so much for my birthday dinner that I made myself sick. Before No-S, a meal like that would have been an indulgence, but not a disaster. My appetite (or my stomach, or whatever) had shrunk so much just in the first week of No-S that I literally could no longer stomach that much food. It was a real eye-opener.

So I would recommend taking your S-days, and just noticing the contrast between what happens on those days and on No-S days. The results can be pretty interesting.

ClickBeetle

Post by ClickBeetle » Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:26 am

I would definitely keep the S-days, and feel free to feast. If you can use them as a motivator, sometimes it will help you on an N-day, as in "It's Thursday, I'll get a cupcake from the office party and keep it in the fridge to take home for the weekend!" and then that helps with the "oh no other people are enjoying the yummy cupcakes" kind of feeling.

Another tip is to eat good-sized meals with plenty of protein, fiber and a bit of fat (for fullness) so that you can make it from mealtime to mealtime. I think some folks have said this is more important in the beginning as you build the habit -- although it may mean you don't actually lose pounds for the first week or so.

Finally, just speaking for myself, I had to "kick start" my No-S diet by slashing calories for the first couple of weeks (in addition to the No-S rules). I just really, really, really needed to see results in a hurry. That was a good motivator at the very outset ... for me anyway.
Chance favors the prepared. - Louis Pasteur

mondurvic

Post by mondurvic » Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:26 am

I started NoS yesterday - on a Thursday - and will have my first S day tomorrow. I can't wait! If it wasn't right around the corner, I know I would never have waited. I'd be gobbling sweets this very instant, and I would have had still more yesterday.

The one thing that kept me from eating them all day every day has been the knowledge that soon, soon, I could indulge myself without anxiety or recrimination. If I was tightening up on the rules, or cutting down on what is allowed - doing things MY way, instead of Reinhard's way - I would have jettisoned the diet already, while feeling panicky and looking around for my next diet.

No, thanks.

Judy

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:18 pm

A long time ago I wrote that changing habits takes time, and unfortunately probably MUCH longer than the 3 weeks we think it does. That's just the beginning. I think it takes longer for it to become second nature.

In the meantime, you just keep doing your best day in and day out. Doing your best doesn't mean being perfect -- it means doing the best you can on any given day. Keep track and over time there will be more successful days than unsuccessful days.

This is from The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz: " ALWAYS DO YOUR BEST Your best is going to change from moment to moment; it will be different when you are healthy as opposed to sick. Under any circumstances, simply do your best, and you will avoid self-judgement, self-abuse, and regret. Never second guess yourself or look back with regret."

It all takes time and that's one thing none of us want to hear. In this age of instant gratification, we want instant results -- not only in our behavior, but also in weight loss. Unfortunately, it just doesn't happen that way. Some things take time, and habit-building and weight loss happen to be two of many that don't happen instantly.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:41 pm

People's mileage will vary, but I think for a lot of people there's a tough spot that comes maybe a week or two in, right between when the excitement of the novelty wears off and habit really starts to take hold. There can be a window of a few days or even weeks when you're running largely on willpower alone -- and that's hard.

I don't know what to advise except hang in there. Habit will come. It's human nature -- animal nature, even. It might take 3 weeks, it might take three months. But when it's firmly in place, with just the slightest attention, it will last for a lifetime. Weeks and months seem long now, but they're nothing compared to that.

Use the online HabitCal (or paper equivalent) if you want a structure to focus your willpower during that difficult time. It'll reward your sense of sight if not your sense of taste, and that's something. And keep posting here for informal encouragement.

Best wishes,

Reinhard

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:44 pm

reinhard wrote:I think for a lot of people there's a tough spot
that comes maybe a week or two in,
right between when the excitement of the novelty wears off
and habit really starts to take hold.

There can be a window of a few days or even weeks
when you're running largely on willpower alone -- and that's hard.

I don't know what to advise except hang in there.

Habit will come.

Reinhard
I feel like I'm in that tough spot today.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

DianeA2Z

Re: When does it get easier?

Post by DianeA2Z » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:46 pm

Betty wrote:I've been doing NoS, successfully, for the last 6 days. The first 4 days were fairly easy. I mean, I got hungry between meals, but I sort of embraced the hunger and got through it. Yesterday I hit a wall: I'm tired of not snacking. ... Also, in order to aid the kicking in of habits, does it make sense to do all of the first 21 days as N days? I'm afraid of not being able to get back on track after the first set of S days. Thoughts, anyone??

Thanks, Betty
Betty,
I'd just like to add a few more words of encouragement. Everyone who has posted to this thread has given you wonderful advice. It means a lot to have a group of people who have gone before that can help hold you up when things get tough. No matter how much weight you wish to lose, if you follow the No S plan you will someday reach your goal. It doesn't really matter how long it takes, because No S is a forever plan. Your body will eventually find its true set-point and you will be able to effortlessly maintain it. If you need to see a real immediate change, weight resistance training will really help tone your body and you will begin to look thinner and more healthy. Just know you are not alone and hang on with all of your might.

Diane
Visit www.MaximizeYourWellness.com
(Ok, a shameless plug). I'm just here to learn how to say No to the S!

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:40 am

But when it's firmly in place, with just the slightest attention, it will last for a lifetime.
Reinhard's quote above ... LIKE THAT IS my motivation ... HABIT that will last for a lifetime!

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

Jamiebf

Hang in there

Post by Jamiebf » Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:47 am

I made it to 21 with no problem and just had two failure days but I am ok. I don't feel angry like diets past because I agree this is a life time plan and I am not perfect. Thanks everyone for all the great advice it helps all of us.