Question about long weekends

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

mondurvic

Question about long weekends

Post by mondurvic » Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:23 pm

This weekend is Canada Day, our equivalent to the American 4th of July. It always falls on July 1st, but is celebrated on the nearest Monday. So Monday here is a national holiday (no-one works, banks closed, etc.), but many celebrate on the Sunday, the 1st itself. Fireworks are on Sunday night, the downtown has many festive events planned - all on the Sunday. But Monday is the Canada Day holiday.

So you can see my question coming: Is Monday an S day?

What do Americans do if, say, the 4th is on a Thursday or Tuesday? Does this become a 4-day weekend? What days would be considered S days for our purposes?

Hope I've made sense here, and that someone can advise.

Judy

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:57 pm

Here's my interpretation: Monday would be an S day for you. For myself, if the 4th fell on a Thursday or Tuesday with a long holiday weekend, Friday or Monday would not be S days. I guess it would be similar to Thanksgiving -- the holiday is an S day, but not the day after.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:49 am

I take the 4th as an S day.

ClickBeetle

Post by ClickBeetle » Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:29 am

Heck, yeah, it's an S day!
Chance favors the prepared. - Louis Pasteur

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:21 pm

If today is a "national holiday" for you, then I'd say that makes it a pretty clear S-day. As for extra celebrations on Sunday, well that was an S-day to begin with. So happy Canada (s-) day (observed)!

Reinhard