Another question re S-days

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

mondurvic

Another question re S-days

Post by mondurvic » Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:11 am

Suppose a day is generally considered to be an S-day - for example, Labour Day - but you personally will not be attending a picnic or any other function. For you, it will be a day exactly like any other. Is it still an S-day food-wise, just because it's a nation-wide holiday?

Or, say, Easter. If you do not celebrate it, or any other holiday, around that time, is it nonetheless an S-day in terms of eating, just because it's generally recognized as a holiday? How about Valentine's Day? What if you have no sweetie and are just going to go to work, come home, and watch TV, just like any other night? Is it still an S day? Come to think of it, is it an S-day even if you HAVE a sweetie?

If these days are NOT considered S-days because they do not affect you personally, is there flexibility around days that are personally relevant to you, but which would not otherwise be considered S-days? For example, say your aunt organizes a party for your cousin's 40th birthday, which happens to fall on a Wednesday?

I guess my question comes down to, "Can one decide on an individual basis which days are 'Special' to him, omitting those that aren't and adding those that are?"

I'm confused and wonder if there are rules, or "rights and wrongs", that can help clarify what S-days are about.

Judy

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:34 am

"S" in these cases stands for "Special" and if it isn't a special day for you, then just defer your celebrations for days that are. No-S is the most flexible and personal "diet" around!

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:47 pm

I agree with Jan.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:34 pm

Hi Judy,
I guess my question comes down to, "Can one decide on an individual basis which days are 'Special' to him, omitting those that aren't and adding those that are?"
My answer is "yes." In fact, you have to decide. There is no universal default applicable to everyone on the planet. Every single day of the year is special to someone somewhere, depending on his nationality, religion, relationships, etc.

Sometimes you'll have some iffy S-days. But the vast majority should be very clear. If you're worried about taking S-days for any occasion you have the remotest connection to, use this guideline: if you take 2 or less non-weekend S-days per month, you don't have anything to worry about. It might help to flip through a calendar now, make a note of the S-days you're thinking of taking, and see what it comes out to for the rest of the year. I suspect it will put you at ease.

Reinhard