Status Report

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

silverfish

Status Report

Post by silverfish » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:40 pm

I hadn't posted for a while, so thought I would announce I am still here, and have been doing No-S for a little over two years now and still going fine.

It does get easier, early, and even two years on I still enjoy the calmness of No-S, how I don't need to think about it but enjoy it when I do. It's an area of my life that isn't out of control in either direction, and I've learned to direct any excess energy/stress/anxiety/boredom into more productive areas - art and writing and work.

For those who like numbers, I haven't weighed myself for a couple of months, but I think I am about 84kg (185 pounds), down from 111kg (244.2 pounds), which gives me a BMI of 26.5 instead of 35. I'm definitely a size 14 (at the shops I shop at: Portmans, Suzanne etc - sizes aren't standardised in Aus) instead of 20/22 and I've also lost a shoe size, somewhere :) It's probably about time for another "during" photo.

So I've lost the equivalent of luggage for an international flight, and am probably less strong since I frankly wouldn't be able to carry a suitcase and onboard luggage around 24/7 now :) But I am fitter - not through any sustained deliberate exercise, just incidental stuff and wandering on weekends.

I would also like to share that a drizzle of honey and a splash of Margaret River Cabernet Shiraz Red Wine Vinegar make a marvelous dressing for roast vegetables.

ClickBeetle

Post by ClickBeetle » Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:36 am

Great to hear from you. Wonderful news!

Now I gotta go roast some vegetables ...
Chance favors the prepared. - Louis Pasteur

florafloraflora

Post by florafloraflora » Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:03 pm

Excellent work!

That dressing sounds fabulous. I'll have to remember that. Thanks!

mimi

Post by mimi » Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:15 pm

Wow! Your results are inspiring - and the dressing sounds delicious!
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:22 pm

Wow, I'm going to have to update your entry on the testimonials page -- you've nearly tripled your weight loss since then.

Congratulations! And thank you for keeping us posted.

Reinhard

Jaxhil

Post by Jaxhil » Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:37 am

Congratulations!! It's so inspiring to hear how well others are doing this far in; great weight loss, and even better that its so easy to maintain!

Thanks so much for posting!

Hilary
Hilary
_______

"Habit, if not resisted, soon becomes necessity."-St Augustine

"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have."-Thomas Jefferson

joasia

Post by joasia » Sun Jul 08, 2007 1:59 am

Dear Silverfish,

I find your story so inspirational because I am your age and sort of coincide with your statistics. Your progress is really something. You don't really seem to plan your meals, just go with the flow? I feel that I am putting too much on my plate. I had a lot of success with weight watchers, but I found the plan too difficult to follow. I am having a hard time slipping into this easy nos plan. Any suggestions?

joann
The destiny of nations depends on the manner in which they feed themselves. Jean-Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

joasia

Post by joasia » Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:01 am

P.S.

do you think eating out a lot can be bad for this plan? seeing as restaurant portions are so large?
The destiny of nations depends on the manner in which they feed themselves. Jean-Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

silverfish

Post by silverfish » Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:50 pm

I've pretty much gone with the flow. I worked out roughly what I thought a reasonable meal size was, kJ wise, but only for use at fast-food restaurants, I don't worry about it anywhere else. And I had enormous meals to start with, until I worked out I couldn't starve to death in five hours!

Now I might have a cooked breakfast, or avocado on toast, or raisin toast and coffee, or a sausage and egg muffin. And lunch defaults to soup-and-toast-and-fruit, but I also eat out a lot. And dinner could be a restaurant meal, or roast vegetables, or boiled-egg-and-soldiers or tomato and cheese on crackers with a glass of milk, etc. I know it doesn't take an excessive amount to get me through to the next meal, now, so I just put everything on the plate until it looks like it will take me through, then head off to eat.

If I *don't* feel a bit hungry by the time I sit down to eat again, I know I probably don't need to put as much on my plate in future. If I'm a bit faint, then I do.

RE restaurant meals: Not *bad*. But you learn pretty quickly just how large the portions are (answer: enormous), and that the more you eat in restaurants (and clean your plate) the less likely the numbers on the scale are to change downwards. For example, I have been sitting on 4kg over BMI 25. Is this because it is my healthy weight? Because I have a large frame (big feet, hands over which I can't fit bangles, etc)? Or because I've had three large restaurant meals this past week?

It's not the portion sizes so much as the cost that usually keep me in line, however. I'm going to the US in October, and hope to get a mortgage in a year or two, so I can't go to Verve *every* lunch (although they do make marvelous goat cheese gnocchi - I keep meaning to take part home, but I usually polish it off).

Something I've found works well when eating out is to order a selection of appetisers with a friend. Some menus (e.g. tapas, some moroccan restaurants) are better suited to this, and you get to have a whole range of flavours and interesting dishes, and it is much more convivial.

joasia

Post by joasia » Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:53 pm

Thank you very much. I appreciate your time. I hope you enjoy yourself in the U.S. If you are traveling to California, take Highway 1 up the coast. It is really worth it. I just got back from a week in San Francisco with my mom and the coast drive can't be beat!

brotherjohn

Post by brotherjohn » Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:39 pm

Thanks for the good news--you are an encouragement to us all. Also, it is good to know from your experience that "it gets easier, early." Your experience with nos is confirming what I am dealing with now--quite a bit of the "food" problem has to do with the way one deals with stress, angst, anxiety, boredom, et. al.

I wish you the very best, and look forward to seeing your postings online!