Some hard data

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

rose

Some hard data

Post by rose » Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:29 pm

After 6 months of noSing I thought I'd give an update.
I started in january at 74.5 kg (164 lb) for 1.66m (5'5). That's BMI 27 (overweight).
I am now about 69.5 kg (153 lb), which is BMI 25.2 (at the limit between "overweight" and "normal").
So I lost about 5kg (11lb) in 6 months.
Since weight is my main concern (must reduce it for my knees' sake) I logged it in an excell chart: see chart in kg, see chart in lb, see chart in BMI.

No, my (low rise) pants didn't fall down, but my stomach does not bulge quite as much (apple shape). I find I am still very fat which is both comforting (no sudden, unmanageable attractiveness) and perplexing somehow.
I've been pretty good on the "no sugar" and "no snacks" parts of noS. I do "no seconds" mainly by after-dinner feeling: must not doze off, must not feel like my stomach will explode. And I try to follow the (french) national eating guidelines, which helps somewhat.

There have been some failures (which results you can see in February and June). Also I had to declare kebab an S-food. By the way I got sick in June and lost more than 1kg (2 lb) in two days, but it was not long-term loss as you can see in the charts.
I am back on track now, and hoping to lose another 5kg in the next 6 months. I _think_ I'd like to go back down to 60 kg (132lb). Time will tell what my healthy weight will be now at 32-33 of age (suspense!)

These last months my daily exercise has been:
about 15' to 20' light exercise in the morning (mainly knee and shoulder rehab + some ab and back exercises, I started substituting Shovelglove one day out of 3 recently),
10' walk to work,
7 flights of stairs (climbing up only, I usually take the elevator to go downstairs. I avoid the stairs altogether on days my knees are complaining.)
10' walk back home.
Additional _light_ aerobic exercise 2 to 4 times a week. For instance, walk to the conservatory and back: 2x20'. Martial arts class (low impact, adaptated to my knee trouble): 1h. Nordic walking: 30'.
I have been getting a little stronger from the exercise (arms mainly) but it doesn't show under all the fat.

So, it has been going good, if slowly. Thanks Reinhard for formalizing noSdiet and habit building tools and sharing it with us.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:33 pm

Rose,

Congratulations and thank you for posting this! It's one thing for me to say, "don't worry, your weight will fluctuate short term but it will trend downwards over time on no-s" and quite another to have hard data (and striking graphics) like these.

I wonder if I should add some kind of weight tracker to the habitcal... though I don't want people to obsess about their weight, if you're going to measure at all, this is the way to do it. Then people could overlay it with habitcal "compliance" to see how they correspond. It would be a nice option to have if you're worried.

Reinhard

rose

Post by rose » Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:38 pm

Can't resist bragging especially since my weight seems to be decreasing again after a 3-month long plateau. So here's the updated chart in lbs with comments.
Started NoS Jan 07 at 74.5kg (164 lbs, BMI 26.7)
Stable since Jan 08 at 64kg (141 lbs, BMI 23)
My progress chart

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:54 pm

Wow. That is a sweet piece of data analysis. It almost makes me want to start weighing myself frequently to track my own trend line.

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:09 pm

This is similiar to the methods I've used to track my weight-loss,
and watching a graph of my overall results has been very positive for me.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:32 pm

Rose,

congratulations for your success and sticking through the longterm ... that is what most inspriing to me ... your sticking with it.

Reinhard
we all have scales ...

HABITCAL is unique and I think very helpful as a motivating behavior change .... I think your systems encouragment towards HABIT sets it apart.

just my 2 cents

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

fkwan

Post by fkwan » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:27 am

Way to go, vive la Rose! :P

I have rheumatoid arthritis so I can relate to the effect of weight loss/diet on one's pain. I can already feel the difference and I've just lost approximately 5 pounds.

Even though NoS is a system, most of us are here to lose weight for better health (or retrain habits for better health), and I think being aware of calories and rate of weight loss is something that will always be necessary for some of us, like myself.

f

rose

Post by rose » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:04 am

@Blithe Morning: careful, it's addictive :P

@BrightAngel: yes I find it rather encouraging to look at.

@blueskighs: I have to agree with you, habitcal is unique and perhaps adding mainstream-like features would make things muddled.

@fkwan: I must say I don't count calories. At all. I made kebab an S-food only because I can't resist "seconds" (overeating) and it looks like fattening food. At some point I was afraid of the banana's calories but I never checked how many it has :wink: and actually I think it's more an overeating thing for me - bananas are often bigger and more filling than other foods and I feel bloated if I don't take care to have a small banana or half a normal banana.
Anyway now I have better self-control and I allow myself both kebab and banana on N days as long as there is no excess.
Started NoS Jan 07 at 74.5kg (164 lbs, BMI 26.7)
Stable since Jan 08 at 64kg (141 lbs, BMI 23)
My progress chart

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:49 am

Great work Rose!!!
Very inspirational!
Peace and Love,
8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:58 am

Congratulations Rose.

It is fantastic to have proof that the habits definitely translate into slow and steady loss.
Hugs from Sunny South Africa
Vanilla No S with no Sugar due to Health issues - 11 yrs No S - September 2016 (some good, some bad (my own doing) but always the right thing for me!)

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:44 am

Rose, I so appreciate your sharing this. The ups-and-downs on your weight really puts the scale into perspective - but that trend line is clear if you really track it!

Good work!