Television

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

ClickBeetle

Television

Post by ClickBeetle » Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:54 am

Just wondering how TV affects diet for those of us on No-S. Are you more likely to eat/snack when watching TV than in other situations? Do the ads make you think of food? Has anyone curtailed their TV watching as part of diet plans?

I haven't watched TV in about a month, except maybe once or twice. This was not deliberate; I just got too busy to watch any TV, plus I don't have cable, so there's not that many options for channel-surfing (and my TV doesn't have a remote control, so channel-surfing wouldn't be all that easy anyway, I suppose!)

I usually get a snacky urge in front of the television, so I think not watching has helped me stay on the plan.
Chance favors the prepared. - Louis Pasteur

gwendo

Post by gwendo » Thu Jul 14, 2005 3:29 am

No, TV doesn't affect it. I find most cravings go away very quickly unless they're nourished somehow. The way I deal with them is very different now than before NoS.

The old me would think of eating something for one reason or another: maybe a friend was eating some, or it was mentioned in a book I was reading, or I walked by a restaurant that served it or a store that stocked it. If possible, I might eat the food right away. But if I didn't, I would actually remind myself that I wanted to eat it until I finally did, or else I forgot about it (usually hours or days later). I reminded myself of my cravings because of a misguided idea that my body knew what it wanted to be fed and I should listen to my cravings.

Now, I think, "Ooh, I want that! Oh well, no sense wasting brainwaves thinking about eating it, since it's not mealtime anyway." Or if it is mealtime, replace "mealtime" with "an S-Day".

JWL

Post by JWL » Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:38 am

I can be in your control group, since I don't own a TV. I watch DVDs on the computer, but that's about it.

I have old, mostly-dead habits of binge eating while sitting in front of the TV in the wee hours (like now, this time of night as I type this). If I had a TV here, it'd be almost too hard to resist.

We just finished living in an offseason rental on Old orchard Beach; the place came furnished, with a television and cable, with all the movie channels. So yeah, it was easy to slide into old habits.

I stopped watching TV when I went back to college. I wouldn't have had time to get my degree if I'd watched TV at all. I just don't have time for it.

I still miss football, though. I love watching football on television. Not much of a televised sports fan other than that.
JWL[.|@]Freakwitch[.]net

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:26 pm

From what I've read, there's a strong statistical correlation between watching TV and being overweight. Causality is hard to establish, one third of scientifc studies are bogus, blah blah blah, but tv is such a waste of time that I'm happy to have an extra excuse to ditch it, studies or no. And it does seem kind of obvious: if you're trying to eat less and move more, it's probably not a good idea to sit around motionless watching beautiful, skinny people eating beautiful fattening food.

Except for netflix movies, I watch very little. I don't have anything against it in principle, but most of it is just so bad, and the good takes too much sifting to find. If I had a hundred lifetimes I'd consider it. There are just too many things I'd rather be doing.

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:48 pm

I also don't have a food-tv association. I watch some tv now (but not a lot--I also don't have cable), but it never brings a snacky urge. Probably because I wasn't allowed to watch much tv growing up (and we had to mute--well, the 70s and 80s version of mute, which meant turn the volume all the way down--the commercials), and because my mom was a health nut--no sugary cereals or white bread, no soda etc etc, so I don't think I formed that junk food tv thing. We even popped our own popcorn and brought it to the movies (I can't believe people used to be allowed to do that!--or maybe it was just the drive-in?)

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:50 pm

Hi Reinhard! So good to see you chiming in! We miss you sometimes :wink:
Well my take on the tv thing is, there's some serious conditioning happening there... The urge to "hit the fridge" comes so strong when there's a commercial break... Who knows why?
We have a tv at home here but no connection to an antenna or cable. We borrow videos from the library and that basically limits the couch potato time to much less per week... Also, it limits the content... I guess I like PBS though, and some programs, but I just have my Mom tape them for us. I think, that the very crappy and boring content on tv coupled with the interminable suggestions to eat, just leaves one feeling so dissatisfied with the experience, that we try to make it more "interesting" by adding food to the mix...
I think, to some extent, so many of us eat when we are bored, lonely, and trying to escape reality somehow... Maybe TV is the placebo "friend" or company we are all seeking out, in those moments, and food would have been there anyway... But somehow it seems more acceptable to us to plow through a bowl of popcorn, or other noshy thing, with the tv and all it's condoning food-conditioning commercials on, than simply staring at nothing, like the air or a wall or the floor.... That then perpetuates our avoidance of really confronting our sadness, or lonliness, or boredness, and actually being with ourselves, feeling those potentially uncomfortable feelings... It's a way of ignoring our inner self by staring at something external...
Good to read your posts today Rein! My thoughts here are not based on a study, just my own wisdom! Hope it made sense and not nonsense! LOL... :P
Love,
8) Deb

Ariel King

Post by Ariel King » Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:15 pm

A very interesting question. My evenings after work are when I have to deal with the worst cravings, which is also when I tend to watch TV. After reflection, though, I would say that TV does not cause the cravings to start - they are quite good at getting themselves started regardless of any outside influence. However, I would have to say that TV is not nearly as good at distracting me from the cravings as some other activities, like reading or playing the piano. So it really isn't the best choice for me if I'm trying to STOP thinking about food. As for commercials, they aren't really part of the issue for me because I always mute them and switch to another channel that isn't currently showing an ad. Even food ads don't particularly increase my desire to eat, probably because they (like any other ad) simply annoy the crap out of me.

peetie

Post by peetie » Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:42 pm

During the pinnacle of my pig out days, my favorite evening was to veg out infront of the t.v. from dinner to bedtime and watch a bunch of mindless crap and eat a lot of crap mindlessly. It was my friend, my psychiatrist, my mommy....you name it. It was anything but constructive!

Now if I need a friend, a psychiatrist or my mommy, I take care of that need directly. And I do still watch t.v., but I select only a few shows I really want to see and the rest of the watching is netflix induced.

I still do enjoy eating and watching.....just do. So, often hubby and I will eat dinner infront of the t.v. watching something we really want to watch, not just wall paper. But that's it for the eating component. Then no more eating, and if there isn't something particularly engrossing we want to watch...it's off to other things.

Peetie

sibyl

Post by sibyl » Thu Jul 14, 2005 5:13 pm

I confess to being a t.v.-as-wallpaper watcher as well. Its so quiet in my apartment, with just me and the 'boys' (my 3 cats), that I often end up turning the t.v. on just to have something to listen to. And then I get hooked, watching crap show after crap show, sitting on my butt as the hours go by. Ugh.
I eat breakfast and dinner in front of the t.v. all the time, but I don't snack there any more.
The funny thing is, when I'm out with my friends, I don't even think about the t.v. I don't miss it; I don't feel the urge to watch it if one happens to be in the room. I'm much happier talking and playing games with my friends. But, no matter what I need to do at home, as soon as I get there the t.v. ends up turned on, and chores are forgotten as I watch yet another stupid t.v. show.
I have managed to shut it off in the morning, during breakfast (I check e-mail instead), but it still comes on when I come home at night. I hope to break that habit, like snacking, too.
"I have no idea what you're talking about, so here's a bunny with a pancake on its head".

ClickBeetle

Post by ClickBeetle » Thu Jul 14, 2005 5:22 pm

Hey, Reinhard! maybe there should be a TV-reduction everyday system. Anyone have any ideas!?

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:34 pm

Hi Betsy! Here's the system..
The "off" switch! :P
Love,
8) Deb
(Forgive me for speaking before our beloved leader! I think he'd probably agree that simple is best!)

fawnmarie

Post by fawnmarie » Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:07 pm

Oddly enough, the only time I watch TV is during dinner. It tends to make me eat too fast, but I try to stay mindful.

My husband insists on having it on during dinner. Drives me nuts, but there it is. He keeps it on for background noise and also ends up getting sucked into crap shows.

Usually as soon as I'm done eating - I leave the room. Especially if it's something I don't really want to watch anyway.

So, I can't say it inspires me to snack. Even when it's not dinner and I for some odd reason I'm watching, the thought of food usually doesn't come up for me. I have found I have the urge to snack at work a lot, when I'm working at my desk. Also, right before bed, when I'm starting to downshift. I find I'm suddenly hungry again and want to eat. If it's too bad, I won't be able to sleep. I've had to move dinner later in the evening to keep that from happening.

Fawn

ClickBeetle

Post by ClickBeetle » Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:32 pm

Well, Deb, that is certainly simple! and 100% effective.

You are a riot! and a genius!

navin

Post by navin » Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:58 pm

I don't have any food-TV association, really. It could have to do with growing up, we never watched TV while eating dinner. Dinner was a special family meal, we were supposed to talk to each other not stare blindly at a TV. I think for that reason I almost always sit down for my meals. In the absense of company I'll read the newspaper or a magazine or something, but rarely watch TV.

And for me there's the practical aspect... the TV is in my living room, which has a very low coffee table. Any food on there will either become cat food, or will be covered in fur. :)

I agree with Deb's TV everyday system... turn it off!

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:32 am

Hi Navin!
I think that's cool that your family had such nice together time...
(mine was totally dysfunctional at dinner time... TV would have helped! LOL...)
Love,
8) Deb

Ariel King

Post by Ariel King » Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:59 pm

On a humorous note, the TV actually killed my appetite quite nicely last night - when I watched a Discovery Health show that illustrated the use of maggot therapy for a wound that wouldn't heal. :shock:

navin

Post by navin » Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:26 am

Mmm.. maggots... hey, they're high in protein!

MerryKat

TV Watching

Post by MerryKat » Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:06 am

For me the TV - food habit is a problem and as we watch a fair amount in the evenings (2hrs most nights) it really did help contribute to my weight gains.

My solution to this is doing handwork. I do not allow myself to watch TV unless I am knitting, crocheting or doing tapestry. This really helps as my hands are to busy to eat aimlessly.
Hugs from Sunny South Africa
Vanilla No S with no Sugar due to Health issues - 11 yrs No S - September 2016 (some good, some bad (my own doing) but always the right thing for me!)

Blue Daisy

Post by Blue Daisy » Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:16 am

I definitely have a TV- food association. If I watch TV for more than 30 minutes to an hour I will find myself snacking, mindlessly snacking as someone so aptly put it.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:53 pm

Regarding a tv reduction system: I think it's a good idea, but I'm not the one to come up with it. It's just not a weakness of mine.

Deb's suggesstion of "off" is great for those who can manage... but I think the less advanced might want to start by not having it on unless they are actively watching something. I notice that lots of people keep the television on more or less all day. They insist it's just "background" but you'll catch them constantly whipping their heads around and staring slack jawed. They're neither really watching nor doing anything else: they're in limbo.

I guess this is what I do with my netflix dvds. When I watch, I'm just watching, not doing anything else, and it's something that I decided in advance was worth watching. So step one: throw out your million channel cable/satelite box and subscribe to netflix instead.

Blue Daisy

Post by Blue Daisy » Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:48 pm

I'm probably going to sound pretty backwards here but I live in a rural community and have no idea what netflix movies are and how you get them. Could someone tell me? Although, I probably need to stay away from them too right now until I get my new habit of not snacking established. One of my favorite things to do is popcorn and a movie.

Tammy

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:51 pm

I don't have netflix but I think you just pay a small amount to rent DVD movies which get delivered to you by mail, and they include a return mailer to send them back...
Easier than standing at Blockbuster and staring at the humongus candy counter at the checkout area! And no lines!

Love,
8) Deb

peetie

Post by peetie » Fri Sep 09, 2005 2:36 pm

Yeah, it's great, Deb. When the company first got up and running, they offered my husband a free trial if he would write a review for it afterward, so we did, loved it, he wrote a great review and we've been paying customers ever since.

I was afraid for awhile that Blockbuster would trounce them when they started their copycat mail program too with lower prices...another David and Goliath story, but so far, they seem to be holding their own.

If you are really into what you're watching, you don't need a boatload of food
to make it interesting.

Peetie

Lethaltoenails

Post by Lethaltoenails » Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:36 pm

Netflix is great, I am in the middle of season 3 of the sopranos....
It's cheap by most standards... not as cheap as the library though. GO LIBRARIES!

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Sep 10, 2005 12:36 am

Yeah I love the library for free films!!!
Both Great Neck *and* Roslyn library!!! LOL...
:wink: Deb

Threadbenders

Post by Threadbenders » Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:31 pm

We don't have satellite or cable because of the cost. One month's fees will more than fill our gas tank, and we have a big van!

Hubby and I watch dvds and old vhs tapes. We do have the tv on almost every night, and sometimes during the day.

Hubby is a 'just watch the show' kinda guy. I CANNOT just sit and watch tv, even my favorite shows! I have to be doing something else, whether it is paperwork, culling magazines, folding clothes, needlework, or SNACKING.

Since starting NoS, I have been knitting when the tv is on. I am doing mindless knitting, which is usually scarves or dishclothes. I try to always have some of these done up for gifts. I also do mending, sewing on buttons, etc.

You can't do needlework and snack at the same time. The needlework gets all icky!

Anyway, this is my idea for not snacking while the tv is on. Keep your hands busy!

Cathy
Weight Jan. 2010--252 lbs.
Weight starting Nos September 6, 2011--183.4 lbs.
Current weight--178.4 lbs
Goal weight (?)--140 lbs.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:52 pm

I find that I'm rarely tempted by the food advertised on TV. Even if it's not junk food being advertised, it's "junky food". I rarely get the urge to snack when watching TV.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Over43

Post by Over43 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:12 am

The last month or so, in the evenings- instead of watching TV, I go golfing. My volume of food has drecreased, and I have noticed my legs getting stronger from walking after my shots, which usually sends me on a zig-zag type course.
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

gk

Post by gk » Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:53 am

TV and reading prompt me to eat every time. Refuse to give up my downtime of relaxing with a funny show or diving into a good book, so I will someday learn how to disassociate eating and those activities. Someday....
SW (as of 3/25/13): 172 lbs.
CW: 171 lbs.

SkyKitty

Post by SkyKitty » Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:45 pm

It's just reading for me that's associated with eating. When I'm eating, I'm itching to raed something, and when I'm reading I want to be eating. I was always getting into trouble when I was a kid for reading a book at the dinner table.

I'm not so bad with the TV, although I do confess to eating meals in front of the TV a lot - often depends on what the we're having for the meal. I've never been an evening snacker though which proably helps to not develop the 'TV = Snacking' association.

In my defence when eating meals in front of the TV, we don't have kids and we are old enough to make our own bad choices - when we went away with friends and their kids, we always ate round the table unless we were out and about.
When nothing goes right...go left.

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:46 pm

For me, any type of motionless activity is difficult.
I have a lifetime habit of snacking while I read fiction.
Interestingly enough, but NOT when reading non-fiction.
I think this is because I get "lost" in fiction,
but stay aware when reading non-fiction.
This is my most troublesome Habit and the most difficult to change.

Snacking while watching TV is a Habit that hasn't been difficult to change,
because I can always get up from the couch
and exercise on treadmill or gazelle etc while continuing to watch.
But I am personally unable to do that while reading fiction.
Unfortunately, I have not been able to give up reading fiction,
(although I have reduced my time in this activity)
or yet, overcome the snacking habit while reading fiction.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:48 pm

For the TV reduction plan, it sounds like there should be something analogous to a cross between No S and 2-glass ceiling. Maybe none on weekdays and a limit on weekends? Or something like that. And then use Habitcal to track it.

I've had many, many green days while watching TV.

Once again, Reinhard shows he's not your average bear. Someone who likes TV would probably not have spent the time and mental energy to come up with Everyday Systems. Wish I felt strongly that there were so many other things I wanted to do.

However, I have to say I feel these days that many activities, even productive ones, are so much busy work, and it's all relative. People can tune out on life no matter what they're doing. And I do find that I can give a lot of attention to how good my food is while I watch TV. I'm single, and it seems moot whether I watch TV and eat or net surf or read or whatever. I just know that even with my Zen training, I'm not going to spend every meal just eating.

But to the original question: if I chose to limit TV, it wouldn't be to help limit my eating.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)