S-Days as No-N Days

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

florafloraflora

S-Days as No-N Days

Post by florafloraflora » Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:25 pm

Lately on S-Days I've been following a bit of an informal strategy to help keep me from going overboard, and I can't decide whether it's dangerous and foolish or pure genius.

What I'm doing is this: on S-Days I eat only treat-y foods that taste really delicious to me. That doesn't mean that I binge all day on pizza, profiteroles, and milkshakes. It just means that I put aside my usual weekday concerns about balance and nutrition. I deliberately keep from eating some of the plain, nutritious food I usually stick to during the week. I don't eat huge amounts, but if I feel like making a meal of, say, a slice of pizza and a scoop of ice cream, I do it. It wouldn't be ice cream because I'm not that wild about ice cream, but that's just an example.

Then when I get back to N-Days, I actually welcome the flavor of plainer, healthier food. Not that I'm restricting myself to twigs and bark on weekdays, but overall my weekday meals are lower in calories, fat, sugar, and salt, and higher in fiber.

This, together with the strategy some people have mentioned here of planning a special treat, have made my S-Days much more manageable. On weekends when I don't have a treat in store, I end up eating a lot more junk in search of a satisfying flavor. I do better if I can eat one serving of something I really crave, because that scratches the itch and then I'm done.