Share Recipes!

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Hunter Gatherer

Share Recipes!

Post by Hunter Gatherer » Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:12 pm

Okay guys and gals! We all know that this is one of the few diets where you are permitted to love food! Share some of your recipes: good, bad, and weird! I will kick things off with my fruit salad (with mystery ingredient!). I think the Breakfast topic is what got me thinking about this.

Fruit Salad

Amounts vary depending on how much you're making- I do individual sized portions in the morning sometimes for breakfast or a big bowl for pot-lucks.

In a bowl, cut up some strawberries and pineapple (or use the store-cut stuff, canned is too sweet for me but you can do whatever). Dump in some blueberries and the secret ingredient (Broccoli Slaw- the kind in a bag, they sell it with the other bagged coleslaws). Pour a little Pomegranate juice over all, toss lightly and serve.

I like this because traditional fruit salads are too sweet and mushy for me. The Broccoli Slaw gives it some "chew-factor" while the juice helps things mingle without being too sweet. Also- no banana! (my grandma and aunt are alergic- me? I just hate 'em)
"You've been reading about arctic explorers," I accused him. "If a man's starving he'll eat anything, but when he's just ordinarily hungry he doesn't want to clutter up his stomach with a lot of candy."
Dashiell Hammett

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:23 pm

Oh great idea! I love new ideas!
This recipe is one I recently tried (my 1st time eating lamb and it was great! I thought I hated lamb!)

Lamb Curry

1 1/2 - 2 lbs Leg of Lamb
1 tbsp garlic
3 tbsp ginger
2 tsp turmeric
3 tsp garam masala
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp ground coriander
2 dessert spoons of plan natural yoghurt
1 tsp red chillie powder
2 medium onions - finely chopped
A tin of peeled plum tomatoes (28 oz can) (chopped)

Directions:

Fry onions until soft
Add garlic and ginger and keep frying
Add the spices and keep frying for a few minutes
Add the lamb and keep frying (fry for about 5 mins on high heat till meat is fully brown)
Add chopped tin-tomatoes
Let this all cook together for a few mins
Then add a couple of large dollops of yoghurt (stir and then bring to a boil)
Put the lid on and transfer to very low heat and slow simmer
Every half hour take the lid off and give it a good stir (total 1.5 hours). After the hour and a half is done turn off heat and add generous handful of fresh chopped coriander leaf.

(This dish is best served in bowls with naan or rice accompaniment (or both) and a side salad of chunky cucumber, tomatoes, onion and carrot with a dash of lemon or vinegar.

kymm

check out off topic for some ideas

Post by kymm » Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:44 pm

I also have a post there for recipe's :lol:
Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going.

-Jim Ryun

inkwell

Post by inkwell » Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:23 pm

Hey all. I'm new here, but I love to swap recipes, so here's one of mine:

Sour Chickpeas

2 cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 can petite diced tomatoes
1 small onion, chopped
4 tbs lemon juice
1 tbs grated ginger (or 1 tsp powdered)
1 tbs ground cumin
1 tbs ground coriander
2 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp turmeric
2 tsp salt
oil for sauteeing
1/2-1 cup water

In a teacup/small bowl, combine 3 tbs of the chopped onion, grated ginger, and lemon juice. Set aside.

Saute remaining chopped onion in oil until tender. Add can of tomatoes (including juice) along with cumin, coriander, garam masala, turmeric and salt. Cook and stir on medium for a few minutes.

Add chickpeas and water to the tomatoes and bring to a boil. Lower heat, cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes. Turn off heat and add the ingredients in the tea cup to the pan. Stir and serve.

Can be eaten hot, warm or cold. Especially good with naan bread (or if you don't have that, pitas or tortillas).