Out of Control S days-- help needed

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Betty

Out of Control S days-- help needed

Post by Betty » Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:53 am

I'm having a real problem with S days. It's like the floodgates open and I just can't stop eating. Not necessarily junk food, but large, meal-like snacks.

And I try to stop. I tell myself, ok, enough is enough, but I just keep eating. S days are much worse than typical days before No S, and though I try to give myself a proactive treat, I end up having that plus so much more.

One problem may be that I'm still new to No S. I started just as my teacher's summer vacation began, and gave myself 3 weeks of solid S days for travelling vacations. So in a way I've not yet gotten on a roll-- it's been one or two weeks on, one or two weeks off, for the past few months. But I'm serious about being consistent now that the school year's started.

I don't know how to help myself with this out of control feeling. Any advice would help.

Thanks, Betty

rose

Re: Out of Control S days-- help needed

Post by rose » Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:38 am

Betty wrote: And I try to stop. I tell myself, ok, enough is enough, but I just keep eating. S days are much worse than typical days before No S, and though I try to give myself a proactive treat, I end up having that plus so much more.
If I give myself a treat early on S days (i.e. before lunch), my eating is completely disorganized for the day.
So, I keep the breakfast noS-like, I keep lunch noS-like if possible, and I leave the planned treat for lunch dessert, for a 4pm snack, or even for dinner dessert if possible.

I think this works in my case because keeping the standard noS breakfast and morning routine sets up the day to feel like a noS day. Then the planned treat is like a really good surprise which is all the more satisfying.

(Getting really busy and/or having outside activities also seems to help. If you're doing some paper marking or such at home on S days, you might consider going to a public library instead. Further from the kitchen is better: out of sight, out of mind.)

I hope this helps

Rose

Hunter Gatherer

Post by Hunter Gatherer » Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:30 pm

A little bit of out of control is okay, especially at first. As long as your N-days are strict you will still be going the right direction, especially if you are aware of the problem. Sometimes it is just your body and mind not being in synch. Give yourself some time to catch up and eventually things will even out.

Structuring your day for success can be very helpful, but don't get too strict in that direction either. You don't want to be cutting back and cutting back until you have no S-day left over.
"You've been reading about arctic explorers," I accused him. "If a man's starving he'll eat anything, but when he's just ordinarily hungry he doesn't want to clutter up his stomach with a lot of candy."
Dashiell Hammett

JustAnnie

Post by JustAnnie » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:57 pm

You might want to try putting some restrictions on your "S" days if you are having trouble handling the freedom. Like only allow yourself two planned treats during the day at a specific time. Some of us can't shut the flood gates as easily as others. :wink:
Just Annie

You Can't Fail Until You Quit Trying

Brandon

Post by Brandon » Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:12 pm

My S days starting out were pretty indulgent too, though my vice seemed to be incredible seconds (and thirds) on the weekends, especially at social functions.

I am glad to say, however, now at the 12 week point, something seems to have recently clicked, and I realized at the end of this past Saturday that I hadn't made it an S day at all yet, so I had a nice treat with my family. I've also had very regular N day failures; only 2 all green weeks so far, and both of those are recent.

This is to say, maybe give yourself some time and allow yourself to adjust to your new expectations. It's hard to be patient, but stick with it for a while and the N days really will start to bleed over.