Medicine making weight loss difficult

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

TerJan58

Medicine making weight loss difficult

Post by TerJan58 » Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:38 am

I'm new, so maybe this question has been asked before now. Is anyone on a medicine that makes losing weight next to difficult? I've been on a beta blocker for one and a half year, and steadily gained weight. I'm told this can happen with this medicine because it can slow the metabolism down. It would be nice to know if anyone has struggled with this and has been successful on the No S diet.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:21 pm

Welcome, TerJan58.

I don't have any personal experience with this issue, but I can tell you something that will increase your metabolism: exercise. It's important for everyone to fit regular exercise into your routine in conjunction with diet, but it might be especially so for you.

Best wishes and keep us posted,

Reinhard

Kevin

Re: Medicine making weight loss difficult

Post by Kevin » Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:54 am

I'd go so far as to say that exercise might be even more important than dieting. Walk if you can. Walking is, in my opinion, far and away the best weight loss exercise. 30 minutes a day will improve your metabolism.
TerJan58 wrote:I'm new, so maybe this question has been asked before now. Is anyone on a medicine that makes losing weight next to difficult? I've been on a beta blocker for one and a half year, and steadily gained weight. I'm told this can happen with this medicine because it can slow the metabolism down. It would be nice to know if anyone has struggled with this and has been successful on the No S diet.
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

davestarbuck

Post by davestarbuck » Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:45 am

Walking will also reduce your blood pressure, which is what I assume you are taking the beta blocker for.

Btw, I'm a pharmacist, so any medication questions, fire away!!!!

Dave
Cut to size,file to fit, paint to match...

TerJan58

Post by TerJan58 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:23 am

I completely agree with you on exercise. I have been a runner for years. A few years ago I developed ankle and foot problems and began using a treadmill (walking/running some).
1 1/2 year ago I collapsed with cardiac arrest at 48 years. (I'm a female in reasonably good shape--we found out later we have a heart disesase in our family, I lost a brother two years ago at 42 years). Fortunately, my husband was nearby and began CPR immediately. We are in a rural setting and EMT's didn't arrive for 18 minutes. The fact that I'm alive is amazing. I had a .02 percent chance of surviving I could go on and on about more medical issues that came against my life that day, but that's not what my post is about (My story came out in Good Housekeeping in Feb. 2007 if you're interested)
Anyway, I gradually returned to walking on the treadmill and my heart has responded beautifully. My ejection fraction came from 15% to 40%.
Then, three months ago, I developed plantar faciitis. I can't use the treadmill. I am presently looking into an elliptical trainer. I can't wait to exercise again. So, yes, I agree with you that exercise is the best way to go about this. (It's just that the stupid beta blocker makes me so tired!)

TerJan58

Post by TerJan58 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:30 am

Davestarbuck, Glad you are a pharmacist. I do have a question. My heart rate still raises more than I am comfortable with while doing even things like cleaning house. (120-130). When I emailed my cardiologist about this and told him I hope to start exercising again soon, he felt that I should up my dosage on the Coreg I'm taking. That heart rate was a little too fast. (I go into V-tach--my defibrillator has already fired once, and of course this makes me a little more scared to exercise since this happened--veerrryyy painful!!!) Currently, I am taking 40 mg. and of course the next step is 80mg. (of the time released). When I was on 50 mg. of the regular Coreg, I could never get my heart rate above 90 while exercising. What is your experience with this new Coreg? It doesn't seem to be as effective keeping the rate down, but I have no other side-effects like I did on the other. Thanks!

davestarbuck

Post by davestarbuck » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:40 pm

TerJan58 wrote:Davestarbuck, Glad you are a pharmacist. I do have a question. My heart rate still raises more than I am comfortable with while doing even things like cleaning house. (120-130). When I emailed my cardiologist about this and told him I hope to start exercising again soon, he felt that I should up my dosage on the Coreg I'm taking. That heart rate was a little too fast. (I go into V-tach--my defibrillator has already fired once, and of course this makes me a little more scared to exercise since this happened--veerrryyy painful!!!) Currently, I am taking 40 mg. and of course the next step is 80mg. (of the time released). When I was on 50 mg. of the regular Coreg, I could never get my heart rate above 90 while exercising. What is your experience with this new Coreg? It doesn't seem to be as effective keeping the rate down, but I have no other side-effects like I did on the other. Thanks!
TerJan58,

Were you on 25 mg of Coreg twice daily before the Coreg CR 40 mg or 50 mg twice daily? If it was 25 mg twice daily, 80 mg of the Coreg CR is the equivilent dose. It's no wonder your heart rate is higher, as you are taking a smaller dose of medicine now. Unfortunately, you will probably get the side efffects back once you move up to 80 mg a day. :(

Anyway I hope this helps...

Dave
Cut to size,file to fit, paint to match...

TerJan58

Post by TerJan58 » Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:38 am

Thanks for responding, Dave. I was at 25 mg twice a day before. I wasn't sure how close the 40 mg was to that. One thing I am doing is taking the 40 at night. My cardiologist thought that might help with the fatigue. I wonder if it's enough to carry me through the day. He mentioned when I do go up on dosage I will probably feel wiped out for a little while. Bummer.