New here and wanted to say 'HI'!

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

drswife

New here and wanted to say 'HI'!

Post by drswife » Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:23 am

:D Hi everyone,

I've been lurking for awhile but finally wanted to say hi. I really feel that this diet would be great for me because I am a big time snacker and it leaves me feeling very chaotic and makes eating less enjoyable.

I've been dieting since I was about 10 yrs old and just cant stand the thought of another planned meal program--ugh. I actually didn't truly start to be overweight till I hit 30, got married, had kids yada yada yada.

Anyway for awhile I got so sick of the whole dieting mentality that I did the anti diet thing and said screw this. Well now 50 lbs overweight, I realize I don't feel good in my skin and that's not the answer either. I do want to get back into working out and signed up w/ a personal trainer to help me get motivated. The problem is they gave me a calorie limit and told me to eat 4 to 5 meals a day.

I'm in culinary school and I love good food so it's just not realistic for me to count every calories. When you have a nice gourmet meal there's it's different than eating prepackaged stuff..there's just no way of knowing how many calories is in each meal. Besides if I have to go around counting calories for the rest of my life I think I'm just going to jump off a bridge now.

Anyway, what I do remember is being in Europe and walking a lot and eating good quality food and no snacking. I thoroughly enjoyed each meal and I lost 10 lbs. I think eating reasonble portions at regular intervals makes a lot of sense on so many levels. I'm afraid I wont lose weight, but if I think about it the sanity that it would give to my life would still be worth it so I'm planning on do this for myself and just see where it takes me. Hopefully w/ the new works out and w/ "normal" eating I will start to feel good about my body and myself again.

Thanks for listening. I'm excited to be here!

Linda :lol:

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:38 pm

Welcome!

Going to culinary school is going to make trying to No-S interesting... good luck and let us know how it's going.

Remember the other half of what you did in Europe - walking. Walking is the best weight loss exercise. Make it a regular habit, too.
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

Spook

Post by Spook » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:24 pm

Welcome Linda!

The thing I love most about No-s is not having to even think about the calorie content of the stuff on your plate - just follow the rules and you'll be fine!

I agree with Kevin too, walking more has made a big difference to me, and I've found ways to fit it into my daily routine so it's not really taking up any of my time either.

Good luck, keep us posted on how it's going.

kccc

Post by kccc » Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:15 pm

Welcome!

The best part about this way of eating is the sense of peace. Like you, I was on some form of diet most of my life. (Overweight in college, lost the excess and kept it off for decades - until a baby in my 40's!). Even though I managed to stay at a normal weight for a long time, I had sort of an "armed truce" with food.

No-S has turned that into a genuine peace. I actually enjoy food MORE on No-S because I'm not eating it with a side order of guilt. :)

Also, I totally agree with your observations about Europe. That struck me too, when I went on a trip and ate a LOT (I thought) but didn't gain an ounce. I was walking more, plus I was eating good meals and not snacking much. (IMHO, meals are intrinsically healthier than snacks.)

Best wishes, and welcome!!

PS - What kind of cooking are you learning to do?

drswife

thanks

Post by drswife » Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:21 pm

thanx for the welcome everyone.

KCCC I'm going to a Cordon Bleu school so it's classical cuisine, but we learn other stuff too. We have a class of International cooking that should be a lot of fun.

I don't think it'll be too hard to stick w/ while going to school because we can pack up what we made for the day and eat it later if we want. The hardest part is figuring out when/how to eat lunch. I start at 12:30 and have to leave by 11:30 so it means either a very early lunch or squeezing in a late lunch on one of our breaks which varies day to day. I might have to settle for eating in the car on the way there which doesn't seem like a great idea either. I guess I'll figure something out.

Bonnie, I had two kids in my late 30's (i'm 39 now) and it's definitely not making things any easier.

Thanks for the encouragement to walk. I signed up w/ a personal trainer 3X/wk but plan to walk or rollerblade on the other days.

Linda

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:48 pm

Good luck! You will love NoS!
Peace and Love,
8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:24 pm

Welcome, Linda!

I think No-s will fit very well with culinary school -- I can't think of another diet that would fit better. Just keep the tasting tasting :-).

Reinhard

bonnieUK

Re: New here and wanted to say 'HI'!

Post by bonnieUK » Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:44 am

drswife wrote: Anyway, what I do remember is being in Europe and walking a lot and eating good quality food and no snacking.
Hi Linda, and welcome!

That's interesting actually, I think here in the UK that trend is changing, and this makes me wonder if the reversal of the "no snack" trend is contributing to what the government is calling a growing "obesity epidemic" (especially among children). If you are an aspiring gourmet chef then No S will be good for you, as you can still eat your good gourmet meals and stick to the rules!

Best of luck :)

Dawn

Post by Dawn » Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:22 pm

Hi Linda,

I am just starting out and I know I need to learn patience, but I am dying to know what I might see for myself in around 3 months and I don't just mean weight loss. Is the habit ingrained into you yet? Are you feeling that free from the chains feeling yet?
Dawn