Meal deals

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Spook

Meal deals

Post by Spook » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:21 am

Has anyone else found that lots of places these days now offer 'meal deals'?

I was in Subway yesterday buying a sandwich and a coffee and I was told I could have a "free" cookie with this. Obviously (as I wanted to get my moneys worth) I took it. I then ended up carrying it around with me for the rest of the day, not wanting to eat it, but not wanting to throw it away either.

The annoying thing is that they are effectively saying "your sandwich and drink is not a complete meal. You need to eat more".

This bugs me.

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:06 pm

On the plus side, I was reduced to eating fast food yesterday, and was pleasantly surprised that I could swap French Fries for a really quite decent salad. And get milk to drink.

So, I had a grilled chicken sandwich, salad (which I ate with my own dressing I keep at work - Annie's Gingerly Vinaigrette, which I love), and milk. A relatively decent meal under less-than-ideal circumstances.

Hope to see more of these changes.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:30 pm

Hey, save it for the weekend. Cookies keep.

It is a little ridiculous how people keep pushing food at us -- but we have to focus on what we can control: our behavior, not theirs. If we get irate, well, it might be justifiable, but it doesn't do anybody any good. Instead, think about how virtuous it makes you feel to tuck that cookie away for later. It's rather nice in a way, a very clear opportunity to do the right thing. Give them a big smile and a thank you next time.

Reinhard

Spook

Post by Spook » Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:09 am

reinhard wrote:Hey, save it for the weekend. Cookies keep.

It is a little ridiculous how people keep pushing food at us -- but we have to focus on what we can control: our behavior, not theirs. If we get irate, well, it might be justifiable, but it doesn't do anybody any good. Instead, think about how virtuous it makes you feel to tuck that cookie away for later. It's rather nice in a way, a very clear opportunity to do the right thing. Give them a big smile and a thank you next time.

Reinhard
Mm, But I just don't like the fact that eating huge portions has become the accepted norm. My No S habit isn't always strong enough to resist this sort of thing (I'm working on it though) so I feel like I need all the help I can get. I feel like I wasted willpower on resisting that cookie all day. (I eventually gave it away).

I know I'm responsible for my own eating, but I'd just like to see some responsible behaviour from the food industry too.

KCCC, that sounds like a step in the right direction - that's the sort of thing I'd like to see more of.

bonnieUK

Post by bonnieUK » Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:37 am

Personally I often say no to these offers (but that is often because things like cookies contain dairy which I can't have anyway) if I feel that what I'm getting is good enough value I can live with that and tell myself I don't need the free bonus calories LOL.

Or, you could always be altruistic and give the freebie to someone else, say the next person in line. I do that sometimes when I get a regular sandwich order which comes with a free chocolate (but I guess I have to because I can't eat the chocolate anyway! :D)

On another thought, is it ethical to give your "free bonus calories" to someone else contribute to any food issues they might have? hmmm... tricky!!
:D

doulachic

Post by doulachic » Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:07 am

What i hate are the drink sizes...the other day i wasn't thinking and i ordered a large drink, but i forgot that now days that really means xxx-large! I don't like that much pop!! on that note, does anyone here remember when a small drink was actually a small drink? now the small size drinks are the same as what a large used to be. Very annoying.
***GRINS***
Tricia

"When you are in a jam, a good friend will bring a loaf of bread and peanut butter..."