I Need To Come Back to No-S!

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Jammin' Jan

I Need To Come Back to No-S!

Post by Jammin' Jan » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:46 am

I left No-S several months ago because I thought I finally had the vegan thing down and could make it work and could return to the McDougall Program. But it's not working and my weight is up and I'm tired of food restrictions and tired of needing to snack (low-fat plant foods don't stay with you very long) which my work schedule doesn't permit so I'm always hungry and my jeans are feeling tighter and I want to eat the same foods everyone else is eating, only healthier, and...and...and...

I need to come back home to No-S, if that's okay with everyone here.

What I need is three ordinary meals, no sweets, no snacks, no seconds, and plates structured according to what worked for me in the past: 1/4 meat/fish/egg; 1/4 starch; 1/2 vegetable/fruit/salad.

I'm still wearing my step counter, so the exercise is okay...not great, but it's what I can manage right now given the hours I'm working (on my feet all day and running around with customers and lifting heavy stacks of books and walking to work) and the area in which we live (not safe for walking out of the immediate university area).

So if you will take me back, I will try to be good, starting with breakfast this morning. Anyway, I've missed you all!

mimi

Post by mimi » Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:55 pm

I've missed you too! Welcome back, Jan! I don't think there's any rules here about who is worthy of coming back and who isn't - there has always been a very kind, welcoming atmosphere for all here as far as I'm concerned. I just returned to NoS too (Dec. 1), but didn't make an appearance on the boards until a few days ago because I was ashamed of myself and how I had backslidden. The truth is, we make ourselves feel badly based on our eating behavior (or lack of it!) - everyone else who struggles with food and weight issues understands full well. So, Jan, chin up - you can do it again!
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:57 pm

I'm glad to see you. :) Welcome back.

Actually, I've missed some of you who left, so I'm really glad to see you around. I do better when I have support, and you and Mimi and some of the other "returnees" always have helpful suggestions and perspectives.

One of the things I'm learning here (that is incredibly applicable to other areas of my life) is how to deal with failure: acknowledge, contain, learn, let go, move on.

That's much more productive than my old method, which went something like this: deny until too major to ignore, beat self up, set impossible new goals "to make up", feel even worse when those can't be met...

;)

Welcome back. You've just acknowledged and contained past failure. :)

PS - After a failure, I am finding that I do best when I am very gentle with myself, and very careful to set only those goals I KNOW I can achieve. Just a thought.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:46 pm

Jan,

We missed you, too!

You need to restrain your ambition! I know from your past check-ins that you have phenomenal self-discipline. No-s would be no problem for you if you didn't keep wanting more :-)

So down diet-hubris! It's a very different problem than most people have here -- but the solution is the same.

Very happy to see you here again -- and please, never have the slightest hesitation about coming back again if somehow diet hubris does get the better of you again in the future. You are always welcome here.

Reinhard

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:06 pm

Thank you!

You know the saying from St. Paul in the Bible: "Diet-hubris goeth before a fall." Or something like that.

:wink:

Hunter Gatherer

Post by Hunter Gatherer » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:37 pm

Welcome back Jan! Don't beat yourself up! You are always welcome. We all come and go here, sometimes for good reasons (feel confident and don't need as much support and therefore don't check in as often) or bad reasons (too guilty to admit to a week of cheescake and ice-cream dinners) or even random fate (job moves to a remote area unconnected to the internet) but we all know what it's like to come back.
"You've been reading about arctic explorers," I accused him. "If a man's starving he'll eat anything, but when he's just ordinarily hungry he doesn't want to clutter up his stomach with a lot of candy."
Dashiell Hammett

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:32 pm

Hiya Jammin J!!!
A few of us relapsed last year, seems.. Me included.
Been back since May and finally getting a handle on it again.
I too tryed Vegan for about a month. It nuh work fi me...
Same ting.
Always hungry and *gained* weight..
But I'm cutting out eating some things I absolutely feel are just not cool to consume anymore, like Turkey.. I buy free range eggs now too cos of all the cruelty involved in raising caged hens for eggs. It's abominable.

Anyway.. sorry to go on about me and all that.

You never need to ask for permission to come back! LOL..
No matter where your life leads you, you're always gonna be a lifetime NoS'sser
You are stuck with us :)
Have a nice weekend!
Peace and Love,
Debs x
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:35 pm

reinhard wrote:Jan,

We missed you, too!

You need to restrain your ambition! I know from your past check-ins that you have phenomenal self-discipline. No-s would be no problem for you if you didn't keep wanting more :-)

So down diet-hubris! It's a very different problem than most people have here -- but the solution is the same.

Very happy to see you here again -- and please, never have the slightest hesitation about coming back again if somehow diet hubris does get the better of you again in the future. You are always welcome here.

Reinhard
PS... Reinhard is the nicest, and smartest, diet Guru on the planet!!!
Thank God for you Rein ;)
We have all been blessed to find you.
Peace and Love,
Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:17 pm

Reinhard is the nicest, and smartest, diet Guru on the planet!!!

Amen, sister!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

bonnieUK

Post by bonnieUK » Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:49 am

Hi Jammin' Jan :)

I've been a vegan for about 8 years or so and am often surprised that some people out there recommend a vegan diet as a weight loss program, I didn't particularly lose weight when I changed from regular vegetarian to vegan as a teenager (I did notice however improved energy levels and less susceptibility to colds :))

If you’re thinking of continuing being a vegan, my advice would be to treat the veganism as a separate issue to any weight loss aspirations and try not to make any drastic overnight changes (plus it’s good to make sure that anything you’ve removed from your diet gets replaced with something of similar nutritional value – e.g. soya / nut milk for cow’s milk).

I'd also say vegans shouldn't restrict fat intake, as you need healthy fats, omega oils etc. personally I don't restrict intake of nuts, oils, seeds etc. at all and find that including a healthy source of fat and protein (e.g. nuts, seeds, avocados, hummus, coconut, nut butters etc.) with meals is the key to feeling satisfied for longer (as long as I'm complying with No S rules of course as I also want to lose a bit of extra weight :)).

Another thought is that going vegan is best done by gradually cutting out animal foods, finding ways to replace them and allowing yourself time to adjust to the changes. I started out with my veggie aspirations at the age of 13 by cutting out meat, then after a few years excluded fish, then dairy, then finally eggs (being full vegan by the age of 19 or so). I guess that's another reason why I'm concerned about veganism being promoted as a weight loss program because I don’t think it’s something that one can switch to overnight without encountering problems (e.g. chocolate withdrawal symptoms :D).

Just adding my .02 to the mix :)

p.s. Here one of my favorite vegan recipe websites: http://www.earth.li/~kake/cookery/

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:07 pm

Glad to have you back.
I haven't been around much but I'm trying to check on here much more often and work the NoS better!!
:)
{FarmerHal} ...previously Shamrockmommy...
Vanilla NoS... Making good habits.
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

gettnbusy

Post by gettnbusy » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:37 am

Welcome back. I left too. I am here now with ya. Hope you are doing well over the last month. I am starting my 21 days tomorrow.
~I'm still not perfect~
~Sophie~

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:07 am

I'm going to attempt the 21 day challenge too.

We can do this :D
Habits are at first cobwebs, then cables.

Daisy

Post by Daisy » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:10 am

Hi Everyone, I'm back again too, I started yesterday after being lured away for a while on Slimming World, but its just all too complicated compared to No S. I started again yesterday and this is now day 2. I'm ready for the 21 day challenge.

Good luck everyone :D

bonnieUK

Post by bonnieUK » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:18 pm

Hi, I think I'll join you all on the 21 day challenge too, I've bent the rules a bit too often lately e.g. eating snacky type foods with lunch, and sometimes a bit after lunch (in the amiguous "is it a snack or still part of lunch?" situation), I think I just need to get back into good habits again!