Ice Cream Sandwich

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Hunter Gatherer

Ice Cream Sandwich

Post by Hunter Gatherer » Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:48 pm

This is sort-of from the department of duh, but I only figured it out recently.

Take some chocolate graham crackers and a tub of ice-cream. Break a cracker in half, or use two whole ones or fourths, whatever size you want. Then scoop ice cream and sandwich it between the crackers. Voila! An ice-cream sandwich of your own creation! Very tasty, and you can get more variety of flavor.
"You've been reading about arctic explorers," I accused him. "If a man's starving he'll eat anything, but when he's just ordinarily hungry he doesn't want to clutter up his stomach with a lot of candy."
Dashiell Hammett

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:26 pm

mmmmmmmmmmm :wink:

mimi

Post by mimi » Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:05 pm

If you want to have something a little less caloric, try putting Cool Whip between the graham crackers and freezing them - my mother-in-law always kept these in her freezer for my children while growing up and they loved them!
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

Spook

Post by Spook » Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:33 am

Probably because I'm not from the US, I don't know what cool whip is and I've never heard of graham crackers, but reading this is making me hungry anyway :D

Hunter Gatherer

Post by Hunter Gatherer » Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:32 am

Sorry, I have an irrational fear of cool-whip. Plus, I love my calories. Why would I want to waste an S-day on fake food? Ice cream is a close cousin to the nectar of the gods. Ice cream!

And these are chocolate graham crackers.
"You've been reading about arctic explorers," I accused him. "If a man's starving he'll eat anything, but when he's just ordinarily hungry he doesn't want to clutter up his stomach with a lot of candy."
Dashiell Hammett

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:14 am

I love this substitution--graham crackers taste sooo much better than ice cream sandwich, uh, "bread." Hint: if you let the graham crackers get a little stale first (just leave the box and liner open a few hours) they get a little softer and easier to eat--I learned that one by accident.

So, on that note, I hereby announce that I am back. Again. Again. Hullo everyone! Just sort of slid out of the habit, plus I am injured and can't run right now, or even walk or do much of anything (those of you who remember me from the old days know how exercise-crazy I am), so the eating is that much more important right now. In fact, while I am a firm believer that eating is much more important than exercise for weight loss/gain/maintenance, it is not hard to see that suddenly eliminating the 3500-4000 calories I burned running in a week can quickly translate into gaining a pound (or two, since I have extra time to eat, too haha!!) a week. And it has.

Anyway, I haven't really gained much, but I feel a little out of control, so here I am.

Blondie 8)

PS Spook: Cool Whip is a stange half-cousin to whipped cream (the fake can kind). It comes in a tub and is lighter than air. I think it's non-dairy. Reminds me of my Babcia (grandmother) and Jello.

The original graham crackers are a slightly sweet, honey (what other flavor is in there--a little help from the other 'Merkins here??) cookie-cracker hybrid. They also make them in a cinnamon-coated variery (YUM) and chocolate (I guess, I've never had them)

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:15 am

Cool Whip, like Coffeemate, is only non-dairy on the front of the label, where it clearly states "non-dairy." On the back of the label, in the ingredients listing, however, you will find casein, which is milk protein, which is definitely not non-dairy. It's a little loophole in the labeling laws, I think.